New (?) Ruby Web Book by Bruno R. Preiss

ruby talk

Hello everyone!

found a "web book" by Bruno R. Preiss with the title:
"Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented
Design Patterns in Ruby".

I think I've seen his before, and was struck by how little Ruby there
is. It appears to be a general-purpose data structure + algorithm
book, with some references to Ruby tossed in. There may even be some
Ruby code, but a casual glance says otherwise.

It may be handy for an abstract explanation what trees and lists are,
though it does not seem to do so in the context of Ruby.

James

David Sletten

ruby said:
I think I've seen his before, and was struck by how little Ruby there
is. It appears to be a general-purpose data structure + algorithm
book, with some references to Ruby tossed in. There may even be some
Ruby code, but a casual glance says otherwise.

It may be handy for an abstract explanation what trees and lists are,
though it does not seem to do so in the context of Ruby.

James
It's pretty obvious that the author has warmed over an existing book
considering that the title on the web page is:
Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented Design Patterns in
Python

David Sletten

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Actually, it looks pretty good to me.

The side bar has these links:

C++ Version
Java Version
C# Version
Python Version

So it also offers a possibly interesting means to compare some
language features.

The code for the Ruby version is definitely Ruby, and you can download
it. It contains 280 files.

Running wc against the files:
lines=7731
words=23259
characters=174427

about 1/2 the lines are a header comment in the smaller programs, so
actualy numbers are probabably a little bit over half the above
numbers.

It general, it looks like there are a lot of different algorthims
implemented- merges, sorts, graphs, stacks, queues, lists, etc.

Overall, it looks very cool. I look forward to looking at it in more detail.

Nick