New site: need some advise (first attempt)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ThLog, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. ThLog

    ThLog Guest

    Hi all,

    Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    http://www.linuz.tk

    I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
    code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.

    I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
    added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
    It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
    process?
    I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
    sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
    particular site needed?
    Do you think the keywords are the right ones?

    Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.

    Thanks,
    ThLog
    ThLog, Mar 1, 2006

  2. ThLog

    saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    > with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    > http://www.linuz.tk
    >
    > I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
    > code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
    >
    > I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
    > added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
    > It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
    > process?
    > I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
    > sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
    > particular site needed?
    > Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
    >
    > Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ThLog

    IE 6 - the index page is aligned right - Is this what you intended?

    Poor navigation.

    Too much white space.

    Add some images, spruce it up, make it less boring, get rid of the top
    banner - it draws my attention to the top instead of the text portion
    saz, Mar 1, 2006

  3. ThLog

    ThLog Guest

    Great, thank you for your fast reply!

    > IE 6 - the index page is aligned right - Is this what you intended?

    I guess not, I will look at the page tomorrow at work to verify.

    > Poor navigation.

    Yeah, could be better... (it was worse :)

    > Too much white space.
    > Add some images, spruce it up, make it less boring, get rid of the top
    > banner - it draws my attention to the top instead of the text portion

    The banner makes it free, I'm learning this so until I'm satisfied with
    the site I will use this free one.
    ThLog, Mar 1, 2006
  4. ThLog

    mbstevens Guest

    ThLog wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    > with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    > http://www.linuz.tk
    >
    > I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
    > code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
    >
    > I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
    > added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
    > It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up the
    > process?
    > I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
    > sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is another
    > particular site needed?
    > Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
    >
    > Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ThLog

    The validator throws 121 errors and warnings, mostly errors.
    Correct those first. You will probably be surprised to find that you
    can do it in less than an hour. After it is corrected to at least be
    valid a larger number of people will be willing to look at it.
    The address of the validator is:
    http://validator.w3.org
    Just enter the address of the website and reap the benefits.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com
    mbstevens, Mar 1, 2006
  5. ThLog

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * ThLog wrote:

    > Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    > with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    > http://www.linuz.tk

    [snip]
    > Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.

    On your open-source page where you recommend some software people can
    start using on Windows before Linux, I would also add 'vim' as a text
    editor. Very useful to know for linux and is available as Windows
    binary.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Ubuntu 5.10 pkgs : kernel 2.6.12-9-386, postfix 2.2.4, procmail 3.22
    Troy Piggins, Mar 1, 2006
  6. ThLog

    mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    > ThLog wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    >> with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    >> http://www.linuz.tk
    >>
    >> I'm using some css and html, but it's not a very clean (and validated)
    >> code yet. Still working on improvements and learning a lot.
    >> I have added this site a couple of weeks ago in Google + Yahoo. Also
    >> added this site to http://dmoz.org/about.html
    >> It is not visible in Google or Yahoo yet, any ideas how can I speed up
    >> the
    >> process?
    >> I've read that the process will be faster if your site is linked by other
    >> sites. Will linking the site in a blog speed up the process, or is
    >> another
    >> particular site needed? Do you think the keywords are the right ones?
    >>
    >> Anyway I like this new hobby. All advise is very welcome.
    >>
    >> Thanks, ThLog
    >>

    > The validator throws 121 errors and warnings, mostly errors.
    > Correct those first. You will probably be surprised to find that you
    > can do it in less than an hour. After it is corrected to at least be
    > valid a larger number of people will be willing to look at it.
    > The address of the validator is:
    > http://validator.w3.org
    > Just enter the address of the website and reap the benefits.

    Oops, make that 201 warnings and errors for the opening page.
    The warnings do not absolutely have to be corrected, but
    you really should get all the errors.
    mbstevens, Mar 1, 2006
  7. ThLog wrote:
    > Recently build a new site. This is my first attempt (so please be gentle
    > with me :). http://linuz.coconia.net/ or (1 extra pop-up)
    > http://www.linuz.tk

    Hey your site forgot step 5, start searching for drivers for your
    hardware what use to work with Windows....
    Travis Newbury, Mar 2, 2006