New to Java....need some advice for a quick prototype program

Discussion in 'Java' started by Younger Dryas, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. New to Java....need some advice for a quick prototype program

    Using JAVA, I want to write a program to run under windowsXP,
    which will constantly monitor my internet broadband connection,
    capture certain messages (maybe instant messaging), and write
    those messages to a file. Simultaneously I will want to have read
    access to that file. I'm hoping this all could be some kind of
    background process thing, if that's possible.

    So..say, on a one to ten scale, are these really hard things to do in
    JAVA, will they take hundreds of lines of code, or is this mostly just
    calls to some API's, libraries, or whatever. I've gone through dozens
    of books at Barnes and Noble but havn't seen these particular issues of
    continous monitoring of internet messages and the filtering of them off
    to some file approached even indirectly. It is very possible that I didn't
    know how to look them up properly in the indexes due to my unfamiliarity
    with JAVA terminology.

    fyi (I'm newly studying JAVA, but have significant, though rather dusty
    Unix scripting experience and 'C' skills".

    Thank you in advance for any in information.
    ..
    ..

    Younger Dryas, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Younger Dryas

    Tony Morris Guest

    "Younger Dryas" <> wrote in message
    > New to Java....need some advice for a quick prototype program
    >
    > Using JAVA, I want to write a program to run under windowsXP,
    > which will constantly monitor my internet broadband connection,
    > capture certain messages (maybe instant messaging), and write
    > those messages to a file. Simultaneously I will want to have read
    > access to that file. I'm hoping this all could be some kind of
    > background process thing, if that's possible.
    >
    > So..say, on a one to ten scale, are these really hard things to do in
    > JAVA, will they take hundreds of lines of code, or is this mostly just
    > calls to some API's, libraries, or whatever. I've gone through dozens
    > of books at Barnes and Noble but havn't seen these particular issues of
    > continous monitoring of internet messages and the filtering of them off
    > to some file approached even indirectly. It is very possible that I didn't
    > know how to look them up properly in the indexes due to my unfamiliarity
    > with JAVA terminology.
    >
    > fyi (I'm newly studying JAVA, but have significant, though rather dusty
    > Unix scripting experience and 'C' skills".
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any in information.
    > .
    > .

    JAVA [sic] is not an acronym, but it is a proper noun, thus, it is referred
    to as "Java".

    To perform tasks regarding network interface drivers requires the use of
    native languages, such as C or C++.
    It is unclear if you want to monitor traffic as "low-level" as a network
    interface or on a particular connection, such as a TCP port. If you mean the
    latter, then yes, it is possible, and quite simple - in fact, I have done it
    myself (written a reverse proxy server that exposes APIs/callbacks to allow
    filtering/monitoring of traffic).

    --
    Tony Morris
    (BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

    Tony Morris, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Younger Dryas

    Sudsy Guest

    Younger Dryas wrote:
    > New to Java....need some advice for a quick prototype program
    >
    > Using JAVA, I want to write a program to run under windowsXP,
    > which will constantly monitor my internet broadband connection,
    > capture certain messages (maybe instant messaging), and write
    > those messages to a file. Simultaneously I will want to have read
    > access to that file. I'm hoping this all could be some kind of
    > background process thing, if that's possible.

    <snip>

    So you want to inject a listener into the protocol stack, determine
    message format, and log those of interest? That is one HUGE task!
    And no, I don't think Java is an appropriate vehicle. You're almost
    down to the device driver level with these requirements...
    You probably couldn't install a program like that without supervisor
    privs anyway. So from the security and portability prespectives
    alone you rule out the use of Java.

    Sudsy, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Younger Dryas

    Chris Smith Guest

    Younger Dryas wrote:
    > Using JAVA, I want to write a program to run under windowsXP,
    > which will constantly monitor my internet broadband connection,
    > capture certain messages (maybe instant messaging), and write
    > those messages to a file. Simultaneously I will want to have read
    > access to that file. I'm hoping this all could be some kind of
    > background process thing, if that's possible.
    >
    > So..say, on a one to ten scale, are these really hard things to do in
    > JAVA,

    11. Unless you're willing to mix Java code with native code; then it's
    definitely possible, and writing the code to analyze the results of the
    network snooping and write them to a file shouldn't be difficult.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Tony... thank you very much for your reply below. To clear up what
    I was not very clear about, I would be using a broadband internet
    connection, and it will be bringing messages to me and they will
    probably
    be in some instant messaging format - most likely something like
    MSN or Yahoo instant messaging, but someday it could very well be a
    privatly
    contracted instant messaging service, or wired SMS, or maybe it could
    be done with just a constant connection to a streaming thing, like the
    way music is sometimes done over the internet, but this would be more
    occasional bursts of data messsages. Now, I think this is just TCP/IP
    stuff. The ultimate purpose is not to set up person to person instant
    messaging but more like for instantly "broadcasting" out to an
    audience of N subscribers of some very time dependent information
    (with such messages having exactly the same format for every
    "subscriber) which is why I want the client application to always be
    listening. Perhaps a good comparison is like when people get stock
    quote
    tickers running on the bottom of their screen. Likely I would
    contract other
    folks to take care of the server end stuff, but for now I am just
    trying to
    prototype this client end, knowing that it might ultimately be
    rewritten by
    more seriously skilled programmers, maybe even in some other language.
    If you
    checked out the thread on this question, one replyer thought this
    would be a huge task, but I liked the sound of your answer much better
    :) So, do you
    think I am on the right track prototyping with Java? Do you think
    the
    "streaming data approach" is at all reasonable? Thanks again for
    your
    help.

    Younger Dryas, Feb 13, 2004