New window with no buttons

The Stoat

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.

Thanks for any help,

Matt.

Hywel

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.

JavaScript:
('mypage.htm','MyWindow','toolbars=no'); return false;">Link</a>

Whitecrest

Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.

search google for "popup window javascript" And you will be rewarded
with thousands if sites that have little programs that make the code for
you. You can see exactly what they do, and how they do it.

Oh yea, everyone hates them, but they have legitimate uses.

Jeff Thies

Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with
If you really want to do that, at least do this:

(this.href,'MyWindow','toolbars=no'); return false;">Link</a>

My thoughts are that it is more likely for popup blockers to be enabled than
javascript turned off (at least for the population at large).

Perhaps, (not tested):

(this.href,'MyWindow','toolbars=no')); return false;">Link</a>

Jeff

DU

The said:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.

Thanks for any help,

Matt.

Sure! You first have to ask the user to
- turn off proxomitron if they are using it
- disable their user.js file if they are using it with
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.toolbar", true)
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar", true)
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.directories", true)
etc..
instructions
- close Opera 7.x and use another browser if they are using Opera 7.x

and then, only then, you have a good chance that this code

onclick="window.open(this.href, this.target, 'toolbar=no'); return
false;">You will enjoy my page once I have removed the toolbars from
your browser!</a>

will remove the menubar, will remove the Navigation toolbar, will remove
the personal bar, and so on so that your users can not use any of these
standard browser functionalities when viewing your page.

DU

DU

Hywel said:
And your point is? The code I suggested does what the OP wants.

I think he meant to say that the windowFeatures is toolbar not toolbars;
at least toolbar is supported on MSIE and Mozilla-based browsers. In
case javascript is disabled (and about 8-12% of users have javascript
disabled) will not see that precious mypage.htm at all. So, the provided
code removes the toolbars and the content for these people: that's not
acceptable and that was most likely his point.

DU

Ramen Junkie

Whitecrest said:
search google for "popup window javascript" And you will be rewarded
with thousands if sites that have little programs that make the code for
you. You can see exactly what they do, and how they do it.

Oh yea, everyone hates them, but they have legitimate uses.

I can't think of any legitimate use. It's something that should be banned
or whatever.

Hywel

I think he meant to say that the windowFeatures is toolbar not toolbars;
at least toolbar is supported on MSIE and Mozilla-based browsers. In
case javascript is disabled (and about 8-12% of users have javascript
disabled) will not see that precious mypage.htm at all. So, the provided
code removes the toolbars and the content for these people: that's not
acceptable and that was most likely his point.

Out of curiosity, how did you draw that conclusion from Karl's post?

DU

Hywel said:
Out of curiosity, how did you draw that conclusion from Karl's post?

Well, this href="#" is a very common error. There are a few web sites
supposedly trying to help out others creating popups (and popups without
toolbars) and this href="#" is pretty wide spread. I even draw the
conclusion that sometimes ago, you copied this typical code and started
to use it. There.

My point is that people should never take for granted what is given to
them in web programming newsgroups, and certainly not websites with an
interactive popup maker, interactive popup generator: these are usually
full of mistakes, errors of all kinds, some do not work on a few
browsers, etc.. and none of them educate on how to/why create a popup
which will meet all WAI guidelines, will avoid typical and widely known
usability pitfalls, etc... and of course how stupid and anti-usability
it is to remove window resizability and scrollbars when they are needed,
that is when content overflows requested window dimensions.

Once in a while, I use 1 single and recyclable popup in a webpage after
carefully weighting the merits of alternatives.

DU

DU

Hywel said:
Out of curiosity, how did you draw that conclusion from Karl's post?

I even recall correcting a small error in a post regarding his excellent
article "A More Accessible Popup Window" (and the error is still there:
blank spaces between windowFeatures in the 3rd argument). Karl writes
very early in that article:

"Among the many concerns of accessible design is found in 'Guideline 6'
of the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-new-technologies - 'Ensure that pages
are accessible even when newer technologies are not supported or are
turned off.' Simply put, you should ensure that your content remains
accessible to those who modify their accessibility settings to disable
scripting or whose choice of adaptive technology does not recognize
scripting.
See also the relevant Section 508 criteria:
http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(l)"

coming from
http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=7

DU

brucie

in post: <
And your point is?

'#' is neither a URI nor a fragment identifier but "is used to delimit a
URI from a fragment identifier in URI references [RFC2396 2.4.3]" so the
only logical interpretation is to consider href="#" an empty URI
(href="") in which case "an empty URI reference within a document is
interpreted as a reference to the start of that document [RFC2396 4.2]"
but some UAs do nothing.
The code I suggested does what the OP wants.

without JS it does nothing except maybe go to the top of the document.

Jeff Thies

search google for "popup window javascript" And you will be rewarded
I can't think of any legitimate use.

Common legitimate uses are popups of fullsize images from thumbnails, and
more importantly: help menus (essential for complex forms/tasks).

Any window opened with javascript maintains a relationship with it's opener
that a window targeted with _new does not have.

I use popups rarely, but used with some intelligence, they can save a lot
of steps. It's a shame they are so totally abused.

Cheers,
Jeff
(who is running NS7.1 with popups blocked)

Sid Ismail

: Hi all,
:
: Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
: at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.

But it's my browser, and I want them!

Sid

Whitecrest

I can't think of any legitimate use. It's something that should be banned
or whatever.

I would give you examples, but anything I would call legitimate, you
would disagree with, so whats the point. A closed mind is a terrible
thing....

Whitecrest

: Does anyone know how to link to a new window that opens up with no buttons
: at the top? i.e: no forward, back, file, edit menus etc.
But it's my browser, and I want them!

But it is his content, and his right to display it in a manner that he
feels is the most appropriate. He makes a choice, you make a choice.