[newbie] Basic Question: Online XSD Usage and Eclipse

moogyd

Hi Group,
I hope that this is an appropriate place for this question. It maybe tool specific.
In understand that the XSD defines the structure of an XML file, and can be used to validate the XML file (e.g. In eclipse or via some python libraries).
In general XSD files can be accessed and downloaded online. e.g. The IP-XACT format for EDA (electronic design automation) is defined by a standards body

I can download the XSD files from the website (http://www.accellera.org/XMLSchema/SPIRIT/1685-2009) and presumably import them into Eclipse (or whatever)

However, I guess it's "better" to link to the master files on the website.

In general, do people generally download and link to local copies of XSD files, or link to the online versions (or have I completely misunderstood something)
Thanks,
Steven

Peter Flynn

Hi Group,
I hope that this is an appropriate place for this question. It maybe
tool specific. In understand that the XSD defines the structure of an
XML file, and can be used to validate the XML file (e.g. In eclipse
or via some python libraries). In general XSD files can be accessed
and downloaded online. e.g. The IP-XACT format for EDA (electronic
design automation) is defined by a standards body

I can download the XSD files from the website
(http://www.accellera.org/XMLSchema/SPIRIT/1685-2009) and presumably
import them into Eclipse (or whatever)

However, I guess it's "better" to link to the master files on the
website.

In general, do people generally download and link to local copies of
XSD files, or link to the online versions (or have I completely
misunderstood something)

No, you've got it right, but referencing local copies vs network copies
is something you need to agree with whoever uses the documents.

Clearly if the documents are ever going to be used offline, or behind a
security screen which prohibits direct network connections, then local
copies should be used, which means if you are sending the document to
somewhere else for processing, you need to send the Schema with it.

If you can guarantee that you and anyone else using the document will
always be online, then referencing the network copy is fine.

///Peter

Joe Kesselman

If it's a heavily used and "standard" schema, it's polite to the folks
maintaining the servers to cache a local copy, reading the whole thing
relatively rarely.

moogyd

If it's a heavily used and "standard" schema, it's polite to the folks

maintaining the servers to cache a local copy, reading the whole thing

relatively rarely.

Joe, Peter
Thanks for the replies - glad I am on the right track.
Steven