    Thanks,
    Steven
    , Apr 9, 2014

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    On 04/09/2014 06:53 PM, wrote:
    > Hi Group,
    > I hope that this is an appropriate place for this question. It maybe
    > tool specific. In understand that the XSD defines the structure of an
    > XML file, and can be used to validate the XML file (e.g. In eclipse
    > or via some python libraries). In general XSD files can be accessed
    > and downloaded online. e.g. The IP-XACT format for EDA (electronic
    > design automation) is defined by a standards body
    >
    > I can download the XSD files from the website
    > (http://www.accellera.org/XMLSchema/SPIRIT/1685-2009) and presumably
    > import them into Eclipse (or whatever)
    >
    > However, I guess it's "better" to link to the master files on the
    > website.
    >
    > In general, do people generally download and link to local copies of
    > XSD files, or link to the online versions (or have I completely
    > misunderstood something)

    No, you've got it right, but referencing local copies vs network copies
    is something you need to agree with whoever uses the documents.

    Clearly if the documents are ever going to be used offline, or behind a
    security screen which prohibits direct network connections, then local
    copies should be used, which means if you are sending the document to
    somewhere else for processing, you need to send the Schema with it.

    If you can guarantee that you and anyone else using the document will
    always be online, then referencing the network copy is fine.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Apr 14, 2014

  3. If it's a heavily used and "standard" schema, it's polite to the folks
    maintaining the servers to cache a local copy, reading the whole thing
    relatively rarely.
    Joe Kesselman, Apr 19, 2014

    On Saturday, 19 April 2014 05:47:20 UTC+2, Joe Kesselman wrote:
    > If it's a heavily used and "standard" schema, it's polite to the folks
    >
    > maintaining the servers to cache a local copy, reading the whole thing
    >
    > relatively rarely.

    Joe, Peter
    Thanks for the replies - glad I am on the right track.
    Steven
    , Apr 23, 2014