Newbie : Charset with W3C HTML validator

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul Blay, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Paul Blay

    Paul Blay Guest

    I got this message

    Note: The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown) did not contain a "charset" parameter,
    but the Content-Type was one of the XML text/* sub-types (text/xml). The relevant specification (RFC 3023)
    specifies a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we will use this value regardless of any encoding you
    may have indicated elsewhere. If you would like to use a different encoding, you should arrange to have your
    browser send this new encoding information.

    What do I need to fix that? I have

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Shift_JIS" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

    at the start of the page.

    (P.S. Yes, I probably do have no idea what I'm doing )

    Paul Blay, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Paul Blay

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:br4bb4$dkv$1$>
    Paul Blay said:

    > Note: The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown)
    > did not contain a "charset" parameter, What do I need to fix that?

    configure your server to send the correct charset

    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML

    is there any reason for using XHTML?

    please adjust your word wrap to something around 75 characters.

    --
    brucie
    09/December/2003 10:46:11 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 9, 2003

  3. brucie <> wrote:

    >> Note: The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser
    >> (unknown) did not contain a "charset" parameter, What do I need to
    >> fix that?

    > configure your server to send the correct charset

    Well, the complaint refers to a _browser_, which is somewhat odd, but
    maybe the OP used a file submit feature to send a document for
    validation. So apparently the only thing, apart from using a browser
    that implements file submission better (and somehow manages to send the
    Content-Type header needed), is to use the validator's interface for
    setting the "charset".

    At http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html there's a pulldown menu
    labelled "Encoding". And luckily shift_jis (which the OP's document
    uses) is listed there as an alternative.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Paul Blay

    Paul Blay Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" wrote ...
    > At http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html there's a pulldown menu
    > labelled "Encoding". And luckily shift_jis (which the OP's document
    > uses) is listed there as an alternative.

    So there is.

    I hadn't noticed the ' Extended File Upload Interface ' link.

    Paul Blay, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Paul Blay

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:Xns944C9D93C1C2Fjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>
    Jukka K. Korpela said:

    >> configure your server to send the correct charset

    > Well, the complaint refers to a _browser_,

    oh, i didn't read it that closely.

    --
    brucie
    09/December/2003 11:30:19 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 9, 2003
  6. "Paul Blay" <> wrote:

    This is nonsense since it comes too late. If you are using XHTML 1.1,
    you need to specify the Content-Type in the HTTP header.

    Please restrict your line length to about 70 characters!

    Andreas Prilop, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Andreas Prilop wrote:

    > This is nonsense since it comes too late. If you are using XHTML 1.1,
    > you need to specify the Content-Type in the HTTP header.

    Or use one of the character sets that all XML processors are *required* to
    understand (utf-8, utf-16 and proper subsets of them, such as us-ascii)
    and almost guaranteed to recognise without a declaration of any kind.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 9, 2003