newbie configuration question

T

timtos

Hello.

I want to use asp not only with my admin account but also with a normal user account.
But being logged in as a normal user I can´t create files or directories in the inetpub\wwwroot\ directory and http://localhost is
bringing the message "The page cannot be displayed".

Where can I configure iis or a user account that way that a normal user can use asp/ localhost. I know that this is a very basic
question but in my asp-book nothing is mentioned about it. So also a recommended reading would be nice. Until now I haven´t found a
really good web site concerning asp.

Thanks a lot for every little help!
Greetings,
timtos.

D

Daniel Walzenbach

Timtos,

AFAIK you have to configure the NFTS permissions on your web server for your specific directory. Try to right click your directory, choose properties > security and add rights for the user YOURDOMAIN\IUSR_NAMEOFYOURPC where YOURDOMAIN is the name of your domain and NAMEOFYOURPC the name of your web server.

HTHs

Best regards

Daniel Walzenbach

P.S. If you need to contact me simply remove ".NOSPAM" from my email address.

D

Daniel Walzenbach

I also have found this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iisref/htm/asp_tut_00.asp):

Web permissions are set in IIS with the IIS Manager. However, those permissions can be undermined by NTFS permissions on specific files and folders. You may allow a user access to your Web site in IIS, but if NTFS file permissions deny access to an ASP file or a database file, your Web user does not see the file. If you are using Anonymous authentication, you must set NTFS permissions to allow access to the IWAM_ComputerName and IUSR_ComputerName accounts. Please see "Access Control" in Windows Help, the "Security" section in IIS Help, which is accessible from IIS Manager, and the IIS TechNet articles about NTFS Security.
Greetings

Daniel

Timtos,

AFAIK you have to configure the NFTS permissions on your web server for your specific directory. Try to right click your directory, choose properties > security and add rights for the user YOURDOMAIN\IUSR_NAMEOFYOURPC where YOURDOMAIN is the name of your domain and NAMEOFYOURPC the name of your web server.

HTHs

Best regards

Daniel Walzenbach

T

timtos

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers!
I will go through this informatin right now.

So thanks again and greetings,
timtos.
----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: newbie configuration question

I also have found this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iisref/htm/asp_tut_00.asp):

Web permissions are set in IIS with the IIS Manager. However, those permissions can be undermined by NTFS permissions on specific
files and folders. You may allow a user access to your Web site in IIS, but if NTFS file permissions deny access to an ASP file or a
database file, your Web user does not see the file. If you are using Anonymous authentication, you must set NTFS permissions to
allow access to the IWAM_ComputerName and IUSR_ComputerName accounts. Please see "Access Control" in Windows Help, the "Security"
section in IIS Help, which is accessible from IIS Manager, and the IIS TechNet articles about NTFS Security.
Greetings
Daniel
Timtos,

AFAIK you have to configure the NFTS permissions on your web server for your specific directory. Try to right click your directory,
choose properties > security and add rights for the user YOURDOMAIN\IUSR_NAMEOFYOURPC where YOURDOMAIN is the name of your domain
and NAMEOFYOURPC the name of your web server.

HTHs

Best regards

Daniel Walzenbach

Ask a Question