newbie: preparing ASP.NET application for release

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Stimp, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. Stimp

    Stimp Guest

    I have an ASP.NET application that I'm ready to upload onto a webserver
    in a release format.

    I just want to be sure of a few things first:

    - I take it that I only need to upload the aspx files, the bin directory
    files, stylesheets, global.asax and web.config onto the server?

    (i.e. I don't need to upload the .vb source files and assemblynfo.vb,
    etc?)

    - Also, to prepare the application for release mode, do I just need to
    set the <compilation> tag to debug="false" ?

    Anything else I should know about?

    Thanks,
    Peter
    --

    "I hear ma train a comin'
    .... hear freedom comin"

    Stimp, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Stimp

    Karl Seguin Guest

    debug="false" compile the code i release mode (assuming you are using
    VS.Net, that's just a dropdown that says DEBUG and RELEASE). you also need
    ascx (user controls), asmx (web services), asax (global)

    you can remove the vbproj and sln/suo files.

    karl
    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Stimp

    Henke Guest

    To depoly the project to the server you can use the copy project function in
    the project menu (if you are using Visual Studio). Just check, copy "Only
    files needed to run this application". You must have your ASP.NET project
    selected in the solution explorer.

    /Henke

    Henke, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Stimp

    Kikoz Guest

    .... in addition to what guys suggested check out this:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/CL_SecuAsp.asp
    Pay attention to web.config settings, especially if your app is hosted on
    shared server (hosting company or several apps on one server)

    Kikoz, Nov 15, 2004