Newbie Question: Asp Classic and ASP.NET running on IIS5 side-by-side ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob [BVP], Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Bob [BVP]

    Bob [BVP] Guest

    From: "Bob [BVP]" <>
    Subject: Newbie Question: Asp Classic and ASP.NET running on IIS5 side-by-side ?
    Date: Friday, August 06, 2004 12:29 PM

    I want to start taking advantage of asp.net and the framework, but
    I am little concerned about installing the .net framework support
    on my production iis5 server. Are they any gottcha's I need to
    be aware, and can they run side-by-side without issues ? I've
    gone over the server requirements/updates, and all I need to do is install
    it now.. In the grips of installation fear at the moment..

    Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Bob [BVP], Aug 6, 2004

  2. Bob [BVP]

    Guest

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 15:28:26 -0500, "Bob [BVP]" <> wrote:

    >From: "Bob [BVP]" <>
    >Subject: Newbie Question: Asp Classic and ASP.NET running on IIS5 side-by-side ?
    >Date: Friday, August 06, 2004 12:29 PM
    >

    >I want to start taking advantage of asp.net and the framework, but
    >I am little concerned about installing the .net framework support
    >on my production iis5 server. Are they any gottcha's I need to
    >be aware, and can they run side-by-side without issues ?

    Install it on an offline server first! Never do what you are about to
    do.

    -Adam
    , Aug 6, 2004

  3. Bob [BVP]

    Mike Newton Guest

    Re: Newbie Question: Asp Classic and ASP.NET running on IIS5 side-by-side?

    Remember to run
    c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.xxxxx\aspnet_regiis.exe after the
    framework is installed.

    It won't affect how IIS treats ASP, and you run them side-by-side
    without problems. Just remember: ASP.NET projects done in Visual
    Studio.NET will require you to create a virtual directory for each
    application that you write. In ASP, this was not necessary, and it
    really isn't necessary if you code your ASP.NET pages with notepad.

    Mike Newton, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Bob [BVP]

    Chris Moore Guest

    I would strongly recommend against installing it for the first time onto your production server, just on the chance something goes wrong. If you have a
    machine that you can try this on in a test environment I would highly recommend it. What you want to do is definitely possible, but this would allow you to get
    a feel for any quirks you might run into before running it live.

    Just my opinion, though.

    Chris

    --------------------

    Chris Moore, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Bob [BVP]

    Bart Guest

    A word of advice, well more than one word:

    Unless you have no choice, stop the IIS service (or sites) before installing
    the .NET framework. I tested it on our development platform and it went on
    OK and they run side by side fine, but on installation on the production
    machines, the IIS sites 'hung' after reboot. We have very high traffic sites
    so maybe that was the problem, but on the remaining servers I just stopped
    the service first and it went on with no problems.

    David

    Bart, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Bob [BVP]

    Bob [BVP] Guest

    Thanks David. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking
    for.. I will do that..

    Bob [BVP], Aug 9, 2004