newbie question: Can not call jar Member function because of missingattached source

Discussion in 'Java' started by mike-yue, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. mike-yue

    mike-yue Guest

    My source code is like this:

    import static org.math.io.files.BinaryFile.*;
    float[] readthat = null;
    readthat = readFloatArray(path, "LITTLE_ENDIAN");

    readFloatArray() is one member function of class
    org.math.io.files.BinaryFile. The container jmathio.jar is already in
    the java build path. Using Ctrl+click, the source code of
    readFloatArray() can be located and opened in Eclipse.
    But, when the mouse is on function readFloatArray(), the warning note
    is still there:
    float[] org.math.io.files.BinaryFile.readFloatArray(File f, String
    endian)
    Note: This element neither has attached source nor attached Javadoc
    and hence no Javadoc could be found.

    In debug mode, when the function readFloatArray() was called, then I
    got "Source not found" and asked me to "Edit Source Lookup Path...".
    Is the source code not already included?

    Any response would be appreciated.
    mike-yue, Sep 10, 2008

  2. mike-yue

    mike-yue Guest

    Re: newbie question: Can not call jar Member function because ofmissing attached source

    On Sep 10, 10:20 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > mike-yue wrote:
    > > In debug mode, when the function readFloatArray() was called, then I
    > > got "Source not found" and asked me to "Edit Source Lookup Path...".
    > > Is the source code not already included?

    > It is not.
    >
    > Generally when you set up a library in the IDE you have to configure its
    > source location as well as its class/JAR location.  Usually the source is in a
    > different place than the library itself.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Lew,

    Thanks for the reply. The readFloatArray() seems disappeared but same
    issue happened with other classes.

    Here is the image of my current issue:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/needpassion/Pictures?authkey=rQ0S1KvVwCc#5244930532018974802

    The XYSeries.java and XYSeriesCollection.java belong to the same
    package org.jfree.data.xy within jfreechart.jar(it is a GNU opensource
    pack).
    From the picture you can see the source is attached already. The jar
    is already in the build path.
    From the application TestFile.java using Ctrl+Click, the Eclipse IDE
    can jump to the functions in XYSeries.java and XYSeriesCollection.java
    without a problem. I believe that means the source code attached fine.

    But in whatever runtime or debug, I always got error "Source not
    found", and was asked to "Edit Source Lookup Path", but that did help
    nothing.
    I tried recreating the project, cleaning all, Refreshing, Validating,
    no help.

    I am new with Eclipse and Java. Sorry for bothing you maybe such a
    simple question, but I've fighted this strange thing for two whole
    days.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    mike-yue, Sep 12, 2008

  3. mike-yue

    On Sep 11, 5:51 pm, mike-yue <> wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 10:20 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    >
    > > mike-yue wrote:
    > > > In debug mode, when the function readFloatArray() was called, then I
    > > > got "Source not found" and asked me to "Edit Source Lookup Path...".
    > > > Is the source code not already included?

    > > It is not.

    > > Generally when you set up a library in the IDE you have to configure its
    > > source location as well as its class/JAR location.  Usually the source is in a
    > > different place than the library itself.

    > > --
    > > Lew

    > Lew,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. The readFloatArray() seems disappeared but same
    > issue happened with other classes.
    >
    > Here is the image of my current issue:http://picasaweb.google.com/needpassion/Pictures?authkey=rQ0S1KvVwCc#...
    >
    > The XYSeries.java and XYSeriesCollection.java belong to the same
    > package org.jfree.data.xy within jfreechart.jar(it is a GNU opensource
    > pack).
    > From the picture you can see the source is attached already. The jar
    > is already in the build path.
    > From the application TestFile.java using Ctrl+Click, the Eclipse IDE
    > can jump to the functions in XYSeries.java and XYSeriesCollection.java
    > without a problem. I believe that means the source code attached fine.
    >
    > But in whatever runtime or debug, I always got error "Source not
    > found", and was asked to "Edit Source Lookup Path", but that did help
    > nothing.
    > I tried recreating the project, cleaning all, Refreshing, Validating,
    > no help.
    >
    > I am new with Eclipse and Java. Sorry for bothing you maybe such a
    > simple question, but I've fighted this strange thing for two whole
    > days.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    found the answer: The jar calls another jar which has no source
    attached.
    Thanks for all your attention.
    mike-yue, Sep 15, 2008