Newbie Question on Web Form Inheritance

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Billy Boy, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Billy Boy

    Billy Boy Guest

    I just need a small example of Web Form inheritance using the example
    of the Parent form exposes a PlaceHolder and the Child form inherits
    the Parent and also the child then binds a local User Control to the
    exposed parent PlaceHolder.

    Another question: If the Parent is built then can the DLL be passed on
    to others who then can place this DLL in their BIN directory and then
    inherit form the Parent in the same way as if the Parent was local to
    the project?

    I have downloaded some samples of Web Form Inheritance but all of them
    have tacked the problem differently and all have taken the problem too
    far. I need the simple bits explained first then I will be ready to
    grasp the next stages.

    C# examples preferred :)

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Regards

    Billy

    Billy Boy, Mar 5, 2004

  2. There just isn't a single great way to handle this kind of thing in the
    current version of ASP.NET
    ASP.NET 2 will have such functionality built in.
    For now you'll have to resort to one kind of hack or another.
    Here's some for you to choose from:
    http://authors.aspalliance.com/PaulWilson/Articles/?id=14
    http://www.sellsbrothers.com/writing/default.aspx?content=projectitemtemplates.htm

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Mar 5, 2004

  3. Billy Boy

    Billy Boy Guest

    Cheer, thanks for you post.

    I've use the same solution as Wilson but it has its limitations
    regarding using controls in the base class and then attempting to use
    the newly created dll from the base class in another project ... the
    new project cannot load the control ... as expected, due to the
    control not being where they should be. And as we cannot use controls
    outside of our project this poses a problem >>>

    Many thanks anyway

    regards Billy

    Billy Boy, Mar 6, 2004