visual inheritance of web form

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by varun, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. varun

    varun Guest

    hello friends,

    i have been developing an application in asp.net.

    i want to inherit a web page on all other web pages of
    my application.

    i took a form and callded it mybaseform1.

    then i took another form, say webform1, and tried to
    inherit
    mybaseform1 with this page in its codebehind file as
    follows.

    public class webform1
    inherits mybaseform1

    end class

    i observed that this does not work in asp.net for web forms
    but it works very well form windows forms.

    so how can i achieve this ?

    please help me in this matter.

    thank you.

    varun, Jul 5, 2003

  2. varun

    dave wanta Guest

    check out the master pages in the control gallery. If you are going to use a
    technique, that's the one to use.

    hth,
    Dave
    www.aspnetemail.com

    dave wanta, Jul 5, 2003

  3. varun

    dave wanta Guest

    btw, I'm not saying master pages are necessarily better (especially compared
    to some of the 3rd party products), its just that it might help you a year
    or two from now.

    hth,
    Dave
    www.aspNetEmail.com

    dave wanta, Jul 5, 2003
  4. varun

    varun varun Guest

    Hi dave,

    i found your answer too short to understand.

    can you explore it a bit ?

    where are control gallery ?

    what are master pages ?

    plase help me here if you can.

    thank you.

    varun varun, Jul 5, 2003
  5. varun

    dave wanta Guest

    Hi,
    no prob!
    here you go:

    http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/ControlDetail.aspx?Control=385&tabindex=2

    Cheers!
    Dave
    www.aspNetEmail.com

    dave wanta, Jul 5, 2003
  6. varun

    varun varun Guest

    hi dave,

    i found that there is a problem with masterpages.

    let me first tell you that i use visual studio.net
    enterprise edition.

    i opened a new web application ,say webapplication1, at its
    default location in wwwroot directory.

    then i tried to unzip masterpages into the folder
    webapplication1.

    then i ran mk.dll but nothing happened.

    i could not run the application and see what is exactly happening.

    also, i found that this version of masterpages is in C#.

    firstly, i am a poor developer in vb.net.

    so C# is just too tough for me.

    so if possible, try to provide me vb.net version of the
    same code.

    also if you can, dictacte the exact stpes to follow to
    accomplish successful running of this code.

    so please help me in this matter.

    thank you.

    varun varun, Jul 7, 2003