Newsreaders

Kaz Kylheku

In what way is a newsreader interface for reading better
than Google groups ?

My best explanation for this is the following snippet from my ~/.slrn-scores
file (the killfile of the newsreader slrn):

[*]
Score: =-9999

This assigns the most negative score to anything with a Google Groups message
ID, thus making it disappear.

By connecting to a proper NNTP server with a proper NNTP program, I can make
all garbage from Google groups disappear in one fell swoop.

So how am I responding to your post, which came from Google Groups? I saw it
quoted in a follow-up by Mark Wooding, and used slrn's ``ESC-p'' command to
reveal and navigate to the parent article.

Such a blanket rule still has lots of false positives. Not everything from
Google Groups is spam, and not every GG user is a drooling moron. If a
legitimate thread forms around a posting from Google Groups, then I can still
access that article in this manner.

So in summary, not only is the Google Groups web interface an unuseable piece
of shit compared to a real news client, the content of Google Groups is full of
garbage, most of which originates in Google Groups itself.

Google Groups is useful for exactly one purpose: accessing archives.

Default User

Stephen said:
Some of them are decent, but I would agree that the vast majority
border on unusable, including GG.

Had they put a moderately competent team, familiar with usenet, on the
GG "Beta", they probably could have created a reasonable product.

The best attempt at a web-based newsreader I've seen is:

<http://www.recgroups.com>

Brian

Spiros Bousbouras

In what way is a newsreader interface for reading better
than Google groups ?

My best explanation for this is the following snippet from my ~/.slrn-scores
file (the killfile of the newsreader slrn):

[*]
Score: =-9999

This assigns the most negative score to anything with a Google Groups message
ID, thus making it disappear.

This gives a reason why it may be bad for posting but not why
it's bad for reading.
So in summary, not only is the Google Groups web interface an unuseable piece
of shit compared to a real news client, the content of Google Groups is full of
garbage, most of which originates in Google Groups itself.

Apart from spam/troll filters what do you consider the main
feature that a newsreader has but the Google interface
doesn't ?

Spiros said:
I don't understand what you mean by fetch few articles at a
time. You have at your fingertips the whole collection of
articles for as far back as the archive goes.

No, you don't. The server does. When you read via GG, it fetches clumps
of messages at a time.

Most newsreaders can download to local storage all the new messages
(less filtering). This makes reading easier for some people (including
me).
If you turn on tree view you have on the left of the screen the
whole clickable collection of articles in a thread but you have
to scroll the list up and down if the thread is long. So I don't
understand what you mean by "fewer articles". I prefer the
"normal" view where I can see a whole collection of articles as
a continuous stream. In the ordering of the articles the

The biggest difference is that dedicated newsreaders can indicate which
messages have been read. With mine, I have to set to display only
unread messages in the message tree. I can switch to the view that
shows the read ones as well, they will be displayed in slightly
different fashion to differentiate.

Brian

Richard

Default User said:
No, you don't. The server does. When you read via GG, it fetches clumps
of messages at a time.

The neither do you with your newsreader. Your server does. Whether thats
in your client or not.

Must you be so pedantic?

Spiros was correct : he does have FAR more access to articles than you
do since GG archives the lot usually. Most ISPs don't. As you should
know.
Most newsreaders can download to local storage all the new messages
(less filtering). This makes reading easier for some people (including
me).

No. They download SOME messages. It may or may not be ALL. And most
people do not keep ALL messages in history locally.
The biggest difference is that dedicated newsreaders can indicate which
messages have been read. With mine, I have to set to display only
unread messages in the message tree. I can switch to the view that
shows the read ones as well, they will be displayed in slightly
different fashion to differentiate.

Well, thats one not so major difference.

And your signature is still not properly set up. Please prefix it with
"-- " so our properly configured newsreaders can snip it on read or
reply.

Doug Miller

Apart from spam/troll filters what do you consider the main
feature that a newsreader has but the Google interface
doesn't ?

That alone is more than sufficient reason to use a newsreader instead of
Google's broken interface.

Kaz Kylheku

Tony wrote:
IMO, web interfaces to threaded discussion is horrendous.
Some of them are decent, but I would agree that the vast majority border
on unusable, including GG.
In what way is a newsreader interface for reading better
than Google groups ?

My best explanation for this is the following snippet from my ~/.slrn-scores
file (the killfile of the newsreader slrn):

[*]
Score: =-9999

This assigns the most negative score to anything with a Google Groups message
ID, thus making it disappear.

This gives a reason why it may be bad for posting but not why
it's bad for reading.

It gives both. How do you implement a rule like the above in Google Groups?
Apart from spam/troll filters what do you consider the main
feature that a newsreader has but the Google interface
doesn't ?

Is there any reason why you can't ask these questions in a newsgroup
about newsreaders, like news.software.readers? Or do you only care about
answers from C programmers?

I will give you a quick point form:

- Indefinite session persistence: take as long as you want to edit a response;
if the NNTP socket is closed, software can reconnect.
- Maintaining unfinished articles in a draft container, indefinitely.
- Local storage of article in the draft stage---in the event of a failure,
you can recover it (e.g. ~/.article or ~/.followup file in your home
directory). On Google if the browser dies, there goes your draft.
- Integrated use of your favorite text editor like Vim.
- The sofware will not munge your text. What you edit is what goes into the
server.
- Etiquette warnings to help safeguard against gaffes: warning that you're
crossposting without followup-to, warning against long lines, warning against
excessive quoted text, warning that your followup is being redirected to
newsgroups other than what you're reading.
- Far superior thread navigation.
- Entire thread displayed all in one view regardless of its size;
no fragmentation into ``newer'' and ``older''.
- Correct article is displayed when its condensed representation
is selected in the tree view; no need to match numbers
in thread pane and body pane.
- No bullshit bugs like articles from five years ago with the
same subject line being treaded in the same view as the