No Java 2 SDK, v1.4 support for APPLET

philm

A client has version 1.5.0_04 of the Java SDK installed, but get's the
following message when he tries to run our applet:

No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.4 support for APPLET!!

Is it not backwards compatible? I'm trying to avoid the SUN applet
plugin if possible.

Phil.

Andrew Thompson

A client has version 1.5.0_04 of the Java SDK installed,

In what[1]? Running on what[2]?

[1] In IE 5, IE 6.00.26, FireFox, Opera, Lynx, ..his car?

[2] Win (XP Pro, NT, '98), Linux (list 20 variants), Mac OS X,
ethanol..?
..but get's the
following message when he tries to run our applet:

URL?

philm

Andrew said:
A client has version 1.5.0_04 of the Java SDK installed,

In what[1]? Running on what[2]?

[1] In IE 5, IE 6.00.26, FireFox, Opera, Lynx, ..his car?

[2] Win (XP Pro, NT, '98), Linux (list 20 variants), Mac OS X,
ethanol..?

..but get's the
following message when he tries to run our applet:

URL?
Cant give a url, but the OS is Win XP, and the browser is IE6.0.2900

philm

Got him to try in firefox aswell, and just gets a blank gray box.
Doesn't have the java icon in the system tray either.

Knute Johnson

philm said:
A client has version 1.5.0_04 of the Java SDK installed, but get's the
following message when he tries to run our applet:

No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.4 support for APPLET!!

Is it not backwards compatible? I'm trying to avoid the SUN applet
plugin if possible.

Phil.

Well is that a message that your code generates or an OS message? Does
he have a JRE installed?

Roland

Andrew said:
A client has version 1.5.0_04 of the Java SDK installed,

In what[1]? Running on what[2]?

[1] In IE 5, IE 6.00.26, FireFox, Opera, Lynx, ..his car?

[2] Win (XP Pro, NT, '98), Linux (list 20 variants), Mac OS X,
ethanol..?

..but get's the following message when he tries to run our applet:

URL?
Cant give a url, but the OS is Win XP, and the browser is IE6.0.2900
In IE, let him/her verify if the checkbox at Tools -> Internet Options
-> Advanced -> Java (Sun) -> Use JRE 1.5.0_04 for <applet> is checked
(on).

If that checkbox isn't in IE's Advanced list, your client should open
the Java Control Panel (I'm not sure in XP, but probably the same as W2K
menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Java).
The 'About' button in the General tab should reveal that 1.5.0_04
indeed is installed.
Then in the Advanced tab, the checkboxes at '<APPLET> tag support'
should be checked (both 'Internet Explorer' and 'Mozilla and Netscape').
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___
`/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Roland

Got him to try in firefox aswell, and just gets a blank gray box.
Doesn't have the java icon in the system tray either.

Use Sun's testapplet at <http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml> to
verify that the JRE has been installed.

When it fails, make sure, like I mentioned in my previous post, that the
checkbox in the Java Control Panel -> Advanced -> <APPLET> tag support
-> Mozilla and Netscape is checked (on).

Further, verify in Firefox that the checkbox at Tools -> Options -> Web
Features -> Enable Java is on.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___
`/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

philm

Roland said:
Use Sun's testapplet at <http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml> to
verify that the JRE has been installed.

When it fails, make sure, like I mentioned in my previous post, that the
checkbox in the Java Control Panel -> Advanced -> <APPLET> tag support
-> Mozilla and Netscape is checked (on).

Further, verify in Firefox that the checkbox at Tools -> Options -> Web
Features -> Enable Java is on.
OK, thanks for that - it tuns out IE and Firefox thought that he had a
different version of the JRE installed than what he actually has.

He has tried downloading the latest version from the Sun site, but gets
the message that it could not verify his installation. I think he needs
to uninstall Java and reinstall it.

Phil.

Nigel Wade

philm said:
Got him to try in firefox aswell, and just gets a blank gray box.
Doesn't have the java icon in the system tray either.

The 1.5 JVM supports the following versions (as shown by about:plugins in
Firefox) :

application/x-java-vm
application/x-java-applet
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5

What does your clients' Firefox say for about:plugins?