No underlines under links

spaghetti

Ralph Dellinger said:
Could you tell me how to remove the underlines under links? Thanks

In your stylesheet, add something like:

a:href { text-decoration:none; }

That'll remove underlining, etc. But you need to make sure users will still
be able to see that it's a link. Use bold text, a different, contrasting
color (don't forget colorblind users!), or something! :)

David Graham

spaghetti said:
In your stylesheet, add something like:

a:href { text-decoration:none; }

That'll remove underlining, etc. But you need to make sure users will still
be able to see that it's a link. Use bold text, a different, contrasting
color (don't forget colorblind users!), or something! :)
I think it has to be like this:

a:link { text-decoration:none; }

David

Toby A Inkster

I think it has to be like this:

a:link { text-decoration:none; }

Or:

a[href] { text-decoration:none; }

(although my version won't work in IE... grumble, grumble...)

Sid Ismail

: That didn't work for me in IE 5.5 or IE 6.0. I have to use this:
: a: {text-decoration:none;}
:
: Anyone know why the standard a:link doesn't work in these versions of
: IE?

It does work. Don't you remember visiting the page?

In your case, since you've been there, you need a:visited as well.

There's also a:hover and a:active, btw.

Sid

Kris

William Starr Moake said:
That didn't work for me in IE 5.5 or IE 6.0. I have to use this:
a: {text-decoration:none;}

Anyone know why the standard a:link doesn't work in these versions of
IE?

It does. Exlanations:

1). Your links are not links (for instance, no value for HREF is
specified) -- they can still be anchors though.
2). Your links are all visited and hence in visited state that you
specified elsewhere.
3). Something else in your CSS is overriding it. Also, keep a check on
the the natural order of pseudo-selectors for anchors: a, a:link,
a:visited, a:focus, a:hover, a:focus.

If you give a URL I will be happy to investigate.