No underlines under links

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ralph Dellinger, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Could you tell me how to remove the underlines under links? Thanks

    Ralph Dellinger, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Ralph Dellinger

    spaghetti Guest

    "Ralph Dellinger" <> wrote in message
    news:OUONa.13788$1a6.5752@lakeread01...
    > Could you tell me how to remove the underlines under links? Thanks

    In your stylesheet, add something like:

    a:href { text-decoration:none; }

    That'll remove underlining, etc. But you need to make sure users will still
    be able to see that it's a link. Use bold text, a different, contrasting
    color (don't forget colorblind users!), or something! :)

    spaghetti, Jul 6, 2003

  3. Ralph Dellinger

    David Graham Guest

    "spaghetti" <> wrote in message

    > "Ralph Dellinger" <> wrote in message
    > > Could you tell me how to remove the underlines under links? Thanks

    > In your stylesheet, add something like:
    >
    > a:href { text-decoration:none; }
    >
    > That'll remove underlining, etc. But you need to make sure users will

    still
    > be able to see that it's a link. Use bold text, a different, contrasting
    > color (don't forget colorblind users!), or something! :)

    I think it has to be like this:

    a:link { text-decoration:none; }

    David

    David Graham, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Ralph Dellinger

    spaghetti Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    > a:link { text-decoration:none; }

    Yeah, I've been doing the a:href thing all night long and I don't know why.
    Blegh. Tired. :/

    spaghetti, Jul 6, 2003
  5. On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:29:30 +0100, David Graham wrote:

    > "spaghetti" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In your stylesheet, add something like:
    >>
    >> a:href { text-decoration:none; }

    > I think it has to be like this:
    >
    > a:link { text-decoration:none; }

    Or:

    a[href] { text-decoration:none; }

    (although my version won't work in IE... grumble, grumble...)

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 6, 2003
  6. Ralph Dellinger

    P@tty Ayers Guest

    P@tty Ayers, Jul 6, 2003
  7. Ralph Dellinger

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 08:16:04 -1000, William Starr Moake <>
    wrote:

    : That didn't work for me in IE 5.5 or IE 6.0. I have to use this:
    : a: {text-decoration:none;}
    :
    : Anyone know why the standard a:link doesn't work in these versions of
    : IE?

    It does work. Don't you remember visiting the page?

    In your case, since you've been there, you need a:visited as well.

    There's also a:hover and a:active, btw.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jul 6, 2003
  8. Ralph Dellinger

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    William Starr Moake <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:29:30 +0100, "David Graham"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"spaghetti" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Ralph Dellinger" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >I think it has to be like this:
    > >
    > >a:link { text-decoration:none; }
    > >

    > That didn't work for me in IE 5.5 or IE 6.0. I have to use this:
    > a: {text-decoration:none;}
    >
    > Anyone know why the standard a:link doesn't work in these versions of
    > IE?

    It does. Exlanations:

    1). Your links are not links (for instance, no value for HREF is
    specified) -- they can still be anchors though.
    2). Your links are all visited and hence in visited state that you
    specified elsewhere.
    3). Something else in your CSS is overriding it. Also, keep a check on
    the the natural order of pseudo-selectors for anchors: a, a:link,
    a:visited, a:focus, a:hover, a:focus.

    If you give a URL I will be happy to investigate.

    Kris, Jul 6, 2003