No VB6

Fresno Bob

We have a VB6 DLL unfortunately we no longer have VB6. I need to make a line
of code change to it. Is there anywhere I can compile the source code online
while I look around for a copy? - I am totally unfamiliar with VB6 so I
don't know if what I am talking about is possible. I don't mind paying,
within reason :) Are there any conversion programmes out there so I can
convert it to a .net dll and just use interop. Regards, Chris.

ca8msm

As far as I can remember, to compile a VB6 dll you'll need a copy of
the Visual Basic dll and I don't think there are any free
alternatives. However, you may be able to use Visual Studio to upgrade
your source code to .NET but don't expect to do this seamlessly as you
will most likely encounter a few errors that need fixing manually.

Patrice

Look around for a copy and always make sure to keep your current tools
around....

Translating just for this purpose (i.e. in an unplanned way) will likely do
more harm than anything else and I doubt you could find an online VB6
compilation service...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> We have a VB6 DLL unfortunately we no longer have VB6.
!> I need to make a line of code change to it.

To do that, you'll have to decompile the DLL first.
A product like VB Decompiler might be of help.

Download the Lite edition from :
http://www.vb-decompiler.org/index.php?p=Download
or from
http://www.soft32.com/download_124248.html

You should also Google for "VB decompiler". There's other products which do the job.

re:
!> Is there anywhere I can compile the source code online while I look around for a copy?

I don't know of any, but there are literally millions of developers
who are able to do that for you, probably for not much money.

You should post your request to some of the VB newsgroups on this server.
There's a lot of them, and they all start with microsoft.public.vb

Also, check out the Visual Basic websites. Many of them have VB6 info.

Randy Birchs's VB website is one of the best:
http://vbnet.mvps.org/

Maybe posting a comment to him regarding your needs will get you on the right track.
Randy is a Visual Basic MVP.

Patrice

My understanding is that the OP have the source code handy. It just that the
VB6 tool IDE itself has been deleted or something....

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> My understanding is that the OP have the source code handy.

I don't know, Patrice.

His comments :

!> We have a VB6 DLL unfortunately we no longer have VB6.

....don't specify that the source is available. Only that the DLL is.

I attribute this other comment:
!> I need to make a line of code change to it.

....to the notion that you can edit a DLL directly, which you can't.

Maybe the OP will clarify.

In any case, the OP will need a copy of VB6 to make any changes,
whether after decompilation or to available source code, or will need
to farm out the job ( it sounds quite simple ) to a developer who has VB6.

Patrice

Ah yes, I assumed that "Is there anywhere I can compile the source code
online..." meant that the source code was already available but it's not so
obvious now. Hopefully the OP will clarify...