notifying particular thread to wake up.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Sure it has.

I have never seen that stated anywhere !

Source ?
Doubtful. It's very likely they will find Sun's free online materials
and other free online materials vastly more useful, particularly on
their budget.

I bought books while I was a student. In fact I think that
is a very common thing.
Have. And I don't see any relevance here.

They could go and borrow the same book there.
When the students graduate and get a job they will probably want to
have a less stupid uniform to wear while flipping burgers -- the
career that most students can look forward to continuing even after
getting a CS degree these days, no thanks to the dot-bomb and other
issues with the western economy these days. :p

AFAIK there is a good demand for IT people in practically
all countries.

Arne

bbound

That does not prove he get a percentage.

No; hence the word "probably" you seem to not have noticed in my
earlier post.
I would say that if your IQ was above 95 you would have figured
out that [insult deleted]

**** off Arnehole. I've read quite enough of your "opinions" for one
day.

Daniel Pitts

Have. And I don't see any relevance here. The link to some Amazon
sales page is obviously of no help to a student in acquiring the book
from any other source than Amazon. If they wanted the book from their
university library they'd have to go there and search, same as they
would have *without* the ever-so-helpful post under discussion here.
Except that I provided the Title as well. I felt that I was providing
a service by giving them a link to a web-page *owned by one of the
book's co-authors*. That way, if they choose to go with my advice on
the matter, they would have the means right in front of them and
wouldn't have to search amazon or google

BTW, if I had left it up to the title, and they Googled for "Java
Concurrency In Practice", The top most (non paid) link would have been
the very same link I provided!

bbound

Except that I provided the Title as well.

I don't see how this is significant. If the user wants to find a
particular book it is presumed that he already knows the title.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

No; hence the word "probably" you seem to not have noticed in my
earlier post.

So you consider it acceptable to post something as "probably" without
any evidence of so purely because it is possible ??

Arne

bbound

So you consider it acceptable to post something as "probably" without
any evidence of so purely because it is possible ??

My understanding is that it is not only possible, but commonplace.

bbound

I have never seen that stated anywhere !

Source ?

General usenet etiquette, often explicitly written down, going back
years. Commercial postings generally considered crass and unwelcome,
except in buy/forsale groups and suchlike. If you want more details,
GIYF.
I bought books while I was a student. In fact I think that
is a very common thing.

So is buying as little as possible subject to what the profs say is
required reading for the coursework, for the obvious budgetary
reasons.

If "Java Concurrency in Practise" is required for a student's courses,
they already know it and probably have already had a copy since mid-
September. If it is not, I can just about guarantee that the student
would prefer the Java Tutorial and not getting any deeper into debt!
Rich-enough students excepted, but there won't be very many, oh no
indeed.
They could go and borrow the same book there.

They could do so just as easily with or without some random amazon.com
URL.
AFAIK there is a good demand for IT people in practically
all countries.

And a glut of supply. You have to consider both supply AND demand when
evaluating these things; that's economics 101 material. Sheesh.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

My understanding is that it is not only possible, but commonplace.

So you consider it acceptable to post something about a specific
person as "probably" without any evidence purely because it is
common ??

Arne

bbound

So you consider it acceptable to post something about a specific
person as "probably" without any evidence purely because it is
common ??

You and your friends apparently consider it acceptable to post all
kinds of very nasty somethings about a specific person as "certainty"
without any evidence purely because you like to verbally attack that
person. Some of you like to state assertions of their real-world
identity without any evidence and potentially drag some formerly-
uninvolved guy into your stupid, petty little flamewarring. And then
you have the sheer, unmitigated *gall* to take issue with my noting
that a guy who posted an Amazon link "probably" gets money for
referrals, when that is indeed quite common with Amazon links?

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black -- when the kettle
is *maybe* a very pale grey and the pot is as dark as intergalactic
space. :p

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

You and your friends apparently consider it acceptable to post all
kinds of very nasty somethings about a specific person as "certainty"
without any evidence purely because you like to verbally attack that
person. Some of you like to state assertions of their real-world
identity without any evidence and potentially drag some formerly-
uninvolved guy into your stupid, petty little flamewarring. And then
you have the sheer, unmitigated *gall* to take issue with my noting
that a guy who posted an Amazon link "probably" gets money for
referrals, when that is indeed quite common with Amazon links?

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black -- when the kettle
is *maybe* a very pale grey and the pot is as dark as intergalactic
space. :p

Why not answer my question ??

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

General usenet etiquette, often explicitly written down, going back
years. Commercial postings generally considered crass and unwelcome,
except in buy/forsale groups and suchlike. If you want more details,
GIYF.

That was not what I asked for.

I asked for source for what you wrote:

#Links to non-free software or information should be clearly marked as
#such in the newsgroup postings, and good free alternatives should be
#mentioned as well so that people may make an informed choice,

Please supply a source for that !
They could do so just as easily with or without some random amazon.com
URL.

The need title/author/ISBN.

I don't think they mind if the page providing that has a link to Amazon.

They may even be happy about it (hint: they can read reviews at Amazon).
And a glut of supply. You have to consider both supply AND demand when
evaluating these things; that's economics 101 material. Sheesh.

No.

Demand seems bigger than supply in US, Europe, India etc..

Arne

Mike Schilling

Simple -- the ad used an Amazon link, and those are well known to pay
kickbacks for referrals.

Kickbacks to other web pages, perhaps. I've never heard of kickbacks to
Usenet posts. Do you have a cite for that?

bbound

Why not answer my question ??

Because it's pointless and irrelevant to the original subject of
discussion, and doubly irrelevant to Java. And because you're not my
boss, dictator, grand poohbah, or anything else conferring any
authority over me whatsoever.

bbound

That was not what I asked for.

Well, that's what you're getting, so deal with it.
The need title/author/ISBN.

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a distinct address space from that
indexed by URLs.
They may even be happy about it (hint: they can read reviews at Amazon).

Reviews, yes. Reliable reviews? That's less certain. Amazon has both
the power and a compelling financial motive to bias the reviews
presented to a user in favor of their making a decision to purchase.
No.

Demand seems bigger than supply in US, Europe, India etc..

Then explain the nonzero unemployment rates even among people with
technical credentials. Indeed, unemployment in general isn't just
nonzero but fairly nasty and has been for years all across North
America.

bbound

Kickbacks to other web pages, perhaps. I've never heard of kickbacks to
Usenet posts. Do you have a cite for that?

If someone sets up an account with Amazon for referral fees and then
uses a properly coded URL *anywhere*, and that generates clickthroughs
and especially sales, they get referral fees. It is usually, but does
not *have* to be, a Web page. And obviously it can be indirect: put
Amazon link on Web page; aggressively promote Web page elsewhere in
turn. Amazon links are nearly as common as AdSense blocks on blogs
whose URLs are heavily spammed; I wonder why? I've seen one or two
that were nothing *but* Amazon links. Now here we have a usenet post
pushing people to a Web page with very little on it but a book ad with
a single link ... an Amazon link.

Of course it *proves* nothing. It may indeed turn out that there's no
direct financial benefit to the usenet poster in question after all.
Even so, all of my *other* points stand, particularly regarding the
non-mentioning of the well-known-to-regulars-here free materials on
the subject and non-mentioning of the fact that the link supplied is
to an ad rather than directly to directly-relevant information. I, for
one, hope that if I ever post a concurrency-related question here and
someone posts a URL labeled "concurrency in Java", that it will lead
to a Web page directly containing tips and helpful information
regarding threading in Java, rather than just to an ad for where I can
*buy* some several kilograms of dead tree containing such information
and wait four to six weeks for delivery. :p

Mike Schilling

If someone sets up an account with Amazon for referral fees and then
uses a properly coded URL *anywhere*, and that generates clickthroughs
and especially sales, they get referral fees. It is usually, but does
not *have* to be, a Web page. And obviously it can be indirect: put
Amazon link on Web page; aggressively promote Web page elsewhere in
turn. Amazon links are nearly as common as AdSense blocks on blogs
whose URLs are heavily spammed; I wonder why? I've seen one or two
that were nothing *but* Amazon links. Now here we have a usenet post
pushing people to a Web page with very little on it but a book ad with
a single link ... an Amazon link.

Did it appear to be coded that way?
Of course it *proves* nothing. It may indeed turn out that there's no
direct financial benefit to the usenet poster in question after all.
Even so, all of my *other* points stand,

Yeah, but they were all stupid.

Sherman Pendley

Mike Schilling said:
Did it appear to be coded that way?

No, Amazon's affiliate links are of the form:

There's usually a query string after, with stuff like what encoding to deliver
the page in, and so forth, but it's optional, and irrelevant to this issue
anyway - the key here is the product_id/affiliate_id part.

The link at javaconcurrencyinpractice.com has no affiliate id in it.

sherm--

bbound

Did it appear to be coded that way?

I'm not an expert on Amazon's URL encoding scheme. Besides, it
probably changes from time to time. You know how all large web sites
*love* to break deep links gratuitously every so often. :p
Of course it *proves* nothing. It may indeed turn out that there's no
direct financial benefit to the usenet poster in question after all.
Even so, all of my *other* points stand,

Yeah, but [insult deleted]

Go crawl back into your hole, Mike.

Mike Schilling

I'm not an expert on Amazon's URL encoding scheme.

If you did some reasearch (say, read another post in this very thread) you'd
be enough of one to stop making false accusations.