Numeric and PIL Files?

W. Watson

I'm looking at some files that are related to Python:

Python-2.4.2.msi
Numeric-24.2.win32-py2.4.exe
PIL-1.1.5.win32-py2.4.exe

What are the three files? msi is the install file for MS, but what are the
other two, and where can I find them? The first one no longer seems
available on the <http://www.python.org/download> site.

The obituary of Alfred Russel Wallace, a prolific writer to
the end of his life in his 90s and contemporary of Charles
Darwin, read "... he laid his pen aside only to die."

Gabriel Genellina

I'm looking at some files that are related to Python:

Python-2.4.2.msi

This is the Windows installer for Python 2.4.2; you should instead use the
2.4.4 version (last one on the 2.4 series). There should be no
compatibility issues, and latter releases have many bugs corrected.
(extension modules must match the Python version up to the 2nd digit).
You can get it from http://www.python.org/download/
Numeric-24.2.win32-py2.4.exe

This is version 24.2 of a numerical library for Python; this is the binary
install matching Python 2.4
For new projects, the recommended library is NumPy. See
http://numpy.scipy.org/
PIL-1.1.5.win32-py2.4.exe

This is Python Imaging Library, available from www.effbot.org. Either
choose the 1.1.5 or 1.1.6 version, but make sure it matches your python
version (filename ends in py2.4)