Python Windows Editors

Discussion in 'Python' started by W. Watson, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE. I
    understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
    download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
    just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
    PythonWin editor by itself?

    BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

    Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
    1. Time is money.
    2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
    to its value.
    --
    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    W. Watson, Jan 21, 2007

  2. W. Watson

    Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE.. I
    > understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
    > download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
    > just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
    > PythonWin editor by itself?
    >
    > BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    > command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    > pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

    Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
    But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
    > 1. Time is money.
    > 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
    > to its value.
    > --
    > Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    , Jan 21, 2007

  3. W. Watson

    Ant Guest

    The pywin32 extension does not contain the python runtime itself, but
    comes with many (very useful) classes you can use when interacting with
    the windows universe. The editor is based on a component called
    scintilla (http://www.scintilla.org/). The referenced site also offers
    an editor SciTE based around the component, which comes with some nice
    features and syntax files for a number of languages.

    If you are going to make use of python on the windows platform, I would
    highly recommend the pywin32 extension.

    Regards,

    Ant

    Ant, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Hi,

    I guess you could take a look at pydev extension for eclipse and if you
    wan't an almost straight forward installation, you should consider this
    link :
    http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/python.html

    Regards,

    Laurent

    laurent rahuel, Jan 21, 2007
  5. W. Watson

    Stef Mientki Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    > IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    > in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    > exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    > get the PythonWin editor by itself?
    >
    > BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    > command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    > pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?
    >
    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
    > 1. Time is money.
    > 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
    > to its value.

    there a too many (good) IDE's for Python ;-)
    maybe we should give them a ranking,
    I tried 2 of them, and only was stable enough: PyScripter
    http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=4

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    Stef Mientki, Jan 21, 2007
  6. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    wrote:
    > W. Watson wrote:
    >> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE. I
    >> understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
    >> download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
    >> just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
    >> PythonWin editor by itself?
    >>
    >> BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    >> command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    >> pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

    > Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
    > But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

    Thanks. Already did it, but used Word. I can get line numbers in that way.
    W. Watson, Jan 22, 2007
  7. W. Watson

    gonzlobo Guest

    I prefer PyScripter too, but would like to know if I can have
    'indentation guides' enabled like PythonWin allows.

    gonzlobo, Jan 22, 2007
  8. W. Watson

    stef Guest

    gonzlobo wrote:
    > I prefer PyScripter too, but would like to know if I can have
    > 'indentation guides' enabled like PythonWin allows.

    If you mean, typing a for-statement, then when placing the final ":"+Enter,
    the indentation auto increases,
    then the answer is yes,
    otherwise I don't kno what you mean.

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    stef, Jan 22, 2007
  9. W. Watson

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    W. Watson napisa³(a):

    > I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    > IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    > in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    > exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    > get the PythonWin editor by itself?

    No, there's no "single official Python editor or IDE". You can edit
    Python code in any editor you want. When I was on Windows, I used to use
    jEdit (http://www.jedit.org/) or Vim (http://www.vim.org/), but others
    will give you other advices. Any text editor is only as good as the
    programmer who uses it. ;)

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/
    Jarek Zgoda, Jan 22, 2007
  10. W. Watson

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Any text editor is only as good as the
    > programmer who uses it. ;)

    Yes but an IDE is different ;-)

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    Stef Mientki, Jan 22, 2007
  11. W. Watson

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Stef Mientki napisa³(a):

    > Any text editor is only as good as the
    >> programmer who uses it. ;)
    >>

    > Yes but an IDE is different ;-)

    Would it make me better Fortran programmer? ;)

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/
    Jarek Zgoda, Jan 22, 2007
  12. W. Watson

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Jarek Zgoda wrote:
    > Stef Mientki napisa³(a):
    >
    >> Any text editor is only as good as the
    >>> programmer who uses it. ;)
    >>>

    >> Yes but an IDE is different ;-)

    > Would it make me better Fortran programmer? ;)

    I can't judge for you, ...
    .... maybe you are already at the top ;-)
    I can only speak for myself ...
    .... for beginners an IDE is certainly much much more than an editor.

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    Stef Mientki, Jan 22, 2007
  13. W. Watson

    Guest

    Stef Mientki wrote:

    > there a too many (good) IDE's for Python ;-)

    FWIW the Zeus for Windows IDE has Python support:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

    Zeus has standard IDE features like syntax highlighting,
    integrated version control, project/workspace, class
    browsing etc, but it does smart indenting and code
    folding for Python and you can even write Zeus
    macros using Python ;)

    It is even possible to integrate the Python SDK help
    directly into the editor:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

    > I tried 2 of them, and only was stable enough:

    Zeus is rock solid ;)

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus for Windows
    , Jan 23, 2007
  14. W. Watson a écrit :
    > I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    > IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    > in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    > exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    > get the PythonWin editor by itself?
    >
    > BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    > command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    > pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?
    >
    > Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    > (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    > Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
    >
    > Two laws Newton and Einstein didn't discover:
    > 1. Time is money.
    > 2. Matter will be damaged in direct proportion
    > to its value.

    Have you take a look at the IDEs page in the Python Wiki (python.org)?

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

    A+

    Laurent.
    Laurent Pointal, Jan 23, 2007
  15. W. Watson

    stef Guest

    Laurent Pointal wrote:
    > W. Watson a écrit :
    >
    >> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    >> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    >> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    >> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    >> get the PythonWin editor by itself?
    >>

    > Have you take a look at the IDEs page in the Python Wiki (python.org)?
    >
    > http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments

    just what I said, TOO many ;-)
    and of course how do you keep these pages up-to-date ?
    Zeus (commercial) isn't mentioned ...
    SPE which has great credits, but can't be found, and if you find it
    somewhere, no manual and it crashes within 30 seconds (repeatly) ;-)

    Not an easy task I guess,
    but it would be nice to have some voting system,
    (maybe only to allow voting when you have compared at least 2 programs)
    that would represent the current state,
    and in which new programs would have a fair chance to start.

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki
    stef, Jan 23, 2007
  16. stef a écrit :
    > Laurent Pointal wrote:
    >> W. Watson a écrit :
    >>
    >>> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    >>> IDE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    >>> in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    >>> exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    >>> get the PythonWin editor by itself?
    >>>

    >> Have you take a look at the IDEs page in the Python Wiki (python.org)?
    >>
    >> http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
    >>

    > just what I said, TOO many ;-)

    Yes, test some, and choose one.
    [personnaly, I use Notepad++ on Windows, and Kate on Linux, just
    editors, not IDEs]

    > and of course how do you keep these pages up-to-date ?
    > Zeus (commercial) isn't mentioned ...

    ....its a Wiki... click the right link and update it:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments?action=edit

    > SPE which has great credits, but can't be found, and if you find it
    > somewhere, no manual and it crashes within 30 seconds (repeatly) ;-)
    >
    > Not an easy task I guess,
    > but it would be nice to have some voting system,
    > (maybe only to allow voting when you have compared at least 2 programs)
    > that would represent the current state,
    > and in which new programs would have a fair chance to start.

    Its difficult, apart from their stability (which can get better or bad
    on the time, upen their evolution and the evolution of the libraries
    they use), its a large part of personnal taste.

    IMHO you can only have functionnal comparison of such tools. I started a
    synthesis page of editors/IDEs functionnalities in the pythonfr wiki
    (french) some (long) time ago...

    http://wikipython.flibuste.net/moin.py/EditeursEtIDESynthese

    But a Wiki form seem to not be the best way for such comparison... a
    dynamic page with a database and some dynamic request would be better.

    A+

    Laurent.
    Laurent Pointal, Jan 23, 2007
  17. W. Watson

    Hertha Steck Guest

    Am Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:33:12 +0000 schrieb W. Watson:

    > wrote:
    >> W. Watson wrote:
    >>> I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is IDE. I
    >>> understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's in the
    >>> download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this exe file has
    >>> just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I get the
    >>> PythonWin editor by itself?

    By "IDE" you mean IDLE, don't you?

    >> Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
    >> But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

    > Thanks. Already did it, but used Word. I can get line numbers in that way.

    And you are absolutely certain you won't never, ever, detect a typo when
    you have your script open in Word, correct it, save the file and try to
    use the resulting mess as a Python script? Or does Word leave it as a text
    file in such a case? I never dare to open source code in Word, so I'm not
    really sure.

    Hertha
    Hertha Steck, Jan 24, 2007
  18. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Hertha Steck wrote:
    > Am Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:33:12 +0000 schrieb W. Watson:
    >
    >> wrote:

    > By "IDE" you mean IDLE, don't you?
    >
    >>> Print your files from Notepad, after all, they're just text files.
    >>> But IDLE has more usefull Formatting options.

    >> Thanks. Already did it, but used Word. I can get line numbers in that way.

    > And you are absolutely certain you won't never, ever, detect a typo when
    > you have your script open in Word, correct it, save the file and try to
    > use the resulting mess as a Python script? Or does Word leave it as a text
    > file in such a case? I never dare to open source code in Word, so I'm not
    > really sure.
    >
    > Hertha

    Yes, looking at it again, it's IDLE in my Start (Programs) menu. When I put
    it into Word, I print the document with line #s and then mark up the
    listing. I never try to use a Word doc in Python.

    "Depend upon it, there is nothing so unnatural as the
    commonplace." -- Sherlock Holmes, in "A Case of Identity"
    --
    Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
    W. Watson, Jan 24, 2007
  19. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    Stef Mientki wrote:
    > Any text editor is only as good as the
    >> programmer who uses it. ;)
    >>

    > Yes but an IDE is different ;-)
    >
    > cheers,
    > Stef Mientki

    Correct.

    W. Watson, Jan 24, 2007
  20. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > I downloaded python-2.5.msi and installed it. I believe its editor is
    > [corrected]IDLE. I understand there's a Win editor called pythonwin. I believe it's
    > in the download pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, but I'm not sure if this
    > exe file has just the editor or all of Python. Comments? If not how do I
    > get the PythonWin editor by itself?
    >
    > BTW, one of the features I did not like of IDE is the limited file Print
    > command. It puts everything in 16pt type, and gives no choice over what
    > pages should be printed. Maybe there's an option?

    I don't see any responses that address regarding
    pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe, so it looks like I'll have to undbundle it and
    see for myself.
    W. Watson, Jan 24, 2007