ObjectDataSource, SqlDataSource, DataSet

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by osh, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. osh

    osh Guest

    Fellow ASP.net'ers...

    I am working on a solution that needs to perform a search (search
    criteria can be as little as 1 and as high as 20 fields) through an
    average of 25,000 records and return results in a GridView. I only want
    to return 150 results total, and page through them 10 results at a time
    - but I also need to grab a count from the MSSQL server as to how many
    TOTAL records were found. So maybe 4,500 records were found that met
    the users' search criteria, but I only want to show the first 150, but
    let the user know there were 4,500.

    The GridView will need to page through these records, 10 at a time.
    >From what I understand with this scenario and the DataSet, is that each

    time the user clicks to go to a different page, the MSSQL server will
    be re-queried and the DataSet re-filled each time, even though I'm only
    retrieving 10 records for display. Caching 25,000+ records is not an
    option due to the strain that this memory would take on the web server.
    I've looked at the ObjectDataSource and custom pagination, but how do I
    pass all the search parameters into this ObjectDataSource? Is the
    ObjectDataSource even the most efficient way to do this? Since I have
    to refer to a file in the App_Code folder with this method, I am
    confused as to how I write the code in the .CS page in the App_Code
    folder. Is there any type of comprehensive resource out there that
    explains how to write custom classes and how to pass parameters into
    it?

    Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your
    time.
    osh, Jan 18, 2006