odd space problem

Jeff Thies

I was looking at this:

http://paydayusa.com/

The html seems to be littered with spaces. Although this wrecks havok
with NS and Opera it seems to do no harm to IE.

What are those mystery spaces and what is the likely way they got in there?

I *may* do some (unrelated) work for them, so be nice!

Cheers,
Jeff

Neal

I was looking at this:

http://paydayusa.com/

The html seems to be littered with spaces. Although this wrecks havok
with NS and Opera it seems to do no harm to IE.

What are those mystery spaces and what is the likely way they got in
there?

I *may* do some (unrelated) work for them, so be nice!

Cheers,
Jeff

In Opera all I get are squares and a little text. For some reason I cannot
read the source code for the frames. IE, no funny spaces, but still cannot
read the source! Finally, Mozilla reveals this as the source for the
banner...

<!-- **** Code below this comment is shared by all standard pages -->à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<!-- Modified by Dave McCelland and Todd Pennington 5/13/02 at 14:20 -->à¨à´€
à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<head>à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<TITLE>PayDay USA Payroll Processing and HR Information Systems</TITLE>à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="PAYDAY USA provides the most expansive
array of payroll processing services in the payroll industry. Regardless
of company size, we are dedicated to customizing every service we offer to
meet the individual needs of each client. ">à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="payroll service, payroll processing,
human resource systems, outsourced payroll processing, paycheck
preparation, human resource software, payroll, payroll outsource, payroll
preparation, payroll service bureau, tax filing service, tax reporting
service, HRMS, direct deposit, PayDay USA">à¨à´€
à¨à´€
à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Style/body.css">à¨à´€
à¨à´€
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="Style/Main.css">à¨à´€
à¨à´€
</head>à¨à´€
à¨à´€

Very bizarre. The page is totally unusable in Opera, IE and Mozilla.
"Works" in Lynx, somehow.

Uncle Pirate

Jeff said:
I was looking at this:

http://paydayusa.com/

The html seems to be littered with spaces. Although this wrecks havok
with NS and Opera it seems to do no harm to IE.

What are those mystery spaces and what is the likely way they got in there?

I *may* do some (unrelated) work for them, so be nice!

Cheers,
Jeff

Very nice if you have questions??????????????????????? <- lots of those.

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681

rf

Jeff Thies said:
I was looking at this:

http://paydayusa.com/

The html seems to be littered with spaces. Although this wrecks havok
with NS and Opera it seems to do no harm to IE.

What are those mystery spaces and what is the likely way they got in
there?

It look like it's unicode, but not real unicode. Maybe it's the unicode when
you edit/save a document with an editor that doesn't understand unicode,
changing all the nice 0x00s to 0x20s.

In any case something at their server is stuffed.
I *may* do some (unrelated) work for them, so be nice!

You could fix their server for them.