One-click Windows installer for Ruby 1.9.

Peter Bailey

Hi,
Does anyone know when they're be a one-click installer for Ruby 1.9? I
really don't trust the .zip file that's on the Ruby site now. There's no
real install script for it. I'm too dumb to do any kind of "manual"
install, I guess.
Thanks,
Peter

Roger Pack

Does anyone know when they're be a one-click installer for Ruby 1.9? I
really don't trust the .zip file that's on the Ruby site now. There's no
real install script for it. I'm too dumb to do any kind of "manual"
install, I guess.

Check out http://rubyinstaller.org/
"technology preview"
looks like the hard working OCI guys have almost got it all up there.
-r

Peter Bailey

Roger said:
Check out http://rubyinstaller.org/
"technology preview"
looks like the hard working OCI guys have almost got it all up there.
-r

I tried this Ruby, and, I have to say, it leaves something to be
desired. It doesn't do a complete install, meaning, it doesn't put Ruby
in the path and it doesn't do an association of .rb with Ruby. Also, I
just can't get Ruby 1.9 to work properly with all of my gems and stuff,
so, I've just gone back to 1.8.
Thanks.

Luis Lavena

I tried this Ruby, and, I have to say, it leaves something to be
desired. It doesn't do a complete install, meaning, it doesn't put Ruby
in the path and it doesn't do an association of .rb with Ruby. Also, I
just can't get Ruby 1.9 to work properly with all of my gems and stuff,
so, I've just gone back to 1.8.

Sorry for not fulfilling your expectations and our hard work is not up
to your "desired" standards.

To answer your _issues_:

* Adding Ruby to the PATH requires administrative privileges. The
installer doesn't ask for them to be safely installed into corporate
environments.

* It doesn't associate .rb or .rbw files because changes in the
registry related to file associations ALSO require administrative
privileges

* Ruby 1.9 is not meant to be compatible with Ruby 1.8, that is a
fact, and everybody knows about it.

Please refer to the FAQ for other questions that you may have:

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/faq

If you want something different, please, be my guest and fork the
project, patches are always welcome.

Mason Kelsey

You wrote,
"* Adding Ruby to the PATH requires administrative privileges. The
installer doesn't ask for them to be safely installed into corporate
environments.

"* It doesn't associate .rb or .rbw files because changes in the
registry related to file associations ALSO require administrative
privileges"

I'm puzzled. The download and installation of Ruby 1.8 for me did those two
things without any action by me.
So why cannot 1.9 do it? What changed?

Mason

Luis Lavena

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

You wrote,
"* Adding Ruby to the PATH requires administrative privileges. The
installer doesn't ask for them to be safely installed into corporate
environments.

"* It doesn't associate .rb or .rbw files because changes in the
registry related to file associations ALSO require administrative
privileges"

I'm puzzled.  The download and installation of Ruby 1.8 for me did those two
things without any action by me.
So why cannot 1.9 do it?  What changed?

First: you downloaded either 186-26 or 186-27 rc2.

Those installers are the previous technology used, which is based in
VC6.

Second: you're running as administrator, that's why it worked.

Other users run under more controlled environments.

Third: Lot of things changed, that's why I pointed you to the FAQ to
better answer your follow up questions in case uncle Google cannot
provide those to you.

Peter Bailey

Luis said:
Sorry for not fulfilling your expectations and our hard work is not up
to your "desired" standards.

To answer your _issues_:

* Adding Ruby to the PATH requires administrative privileges. The
installer doesn't ask for them to be safely installed into corporate
environments.

* It doesn't associate .rb or .rbw files because changes in the
registry related to file associations ALSO require administrative
privileges

* Ruby 1.9 is not meant to be compatible with Ruby 1.8, that is a
fact, and everybody knows about it.

Please refer to the FAQ for other questions that you may have:

http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/faq

If you want something different, please, be my guest and fork the
project, patches are always welcome.

I am a full administrator.
Uh, not "meant to be compatible with 1.8." Gee, that doesn't make a lot
of sense to me, frankly. But, I'll just live with it.
Thanks.

Lyle Johnson

Uh, not "meant to be compatible with 1.8." Gee, that doesn't make a lot
of sense to me, frankly. But, I'll just live with it.

I think that what Luis was trying to say is that Ruby 1.9 is not
backwards-compatible with Ruby 1.8, and for that reason a number of
gems that work with Ruby 1.8 don't yet work with Ruby 1.9. As far as I
know, the best resource for checking this out (other than your own
experimentation) is the web site:

http://isitruby19.com/

If a particular gem that you need isn't working under Ruby 1.9 yet,
you might try contacting the developer(s) for that gem to see what's
up.

Hope this helps,

Lyle