    my customer to sell downloadable products on line such as white papers,
    reports, e-books etc. Does anyone know of a good method of doing this.

    Cheers
    Just Me, Sep 25, 2007

  2. Just Me

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Sep 25, 10:41 am, "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > OK, Ive been asked to provide a public site with a means of selling some
    > products, I have never done this before, so im a bit of a newbie really.
    > What I am looking for is a method of acheiving this within the ASP.NET
    > develpment arena,
    >
    > Byt which I dont mean that I want to design a shopping cart system, I want a
    > low impact , low cost if possible way of being able to set up my products
    > and sell them using a third party like worldpay etc.
    >
    > I know that there are dummy option button bits of HTML they can give you,
    > but I want something a bit slicker. In essence, I need to be able to allow
    > my customer to sell downloadable products on line such as white papers,
    > reports, e-books etc. Does anyone know of a good method of doing this.

    I don't see how you can do this without a shopping cart, unless you
    plan on a lot of manual processing. I mean, in simplest forms, a user
    could send you money via PayPal, then you e-mail him the file.

    So what's wrong with a shopping cart? Click on the docs you want,
    Check Out, and Pay. Once payment is verified, you can give the user a
    temporary download link that contains a ZIP of all the docs he bought.
    Larry Bud, Sep 25, 2007

  3. "Larry Bud" <> wrote in message

    > I don't see how you can do this without a shopping cart, unless you
    > plan on a lot of manual processing. I mean, in simplest forms, a user
    > could send you money via PayPal, then you e-mail him the file.
    >
    > So what's wrong with a shopping cart? Click on the docs you want,
    > Check Out, and Pay. Once payment is verified, you can give the user a
    > temporary download link that contains a ZIP of all the docs he bought.

    I agree - a shopping cart is definitely the way to go here...

    Not only that, it's what potential customers will be expecting to see, and
    are already familiar with...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 25, 2007
  4. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    Who said, I didnt want a shopping cart ????

    What I said was I dont want to 'Design' a shopping cart. Im looking for
    something what has already been designed but will fit into the asp.net
    development aread.

    ;-)

    Just Me, Sep 25, 2007
  5. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > What I said was I dont want to 'Design' a shopping cart. Im looking for
    > something what has already been designed but will fit into the asp.net
    > development aread.

    PayPal has an ASP.NET shopping card, but it's fairly awful...

    I designed my own - took about half an hour...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 25, 2007
  6. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    You must feel great being so competent, but it doesent help me much.

    Dont worry, I'll research it and find an answer myself.

    Just Me, Sep 25, 2007
  7. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > You must feel great being so competent, but it doesent help me much.

    Didn't mean to sound dismissive - judging from your previous posts in this
    newsgroup, you're clearly not a beginner, and this is most definitely not
    beyond your abilities in any way...

    At a basic level, it is simply a matter of storing a Dictionary<int, int>
    object in Session

    The first element of the Dictionary is the unique product identifier and the
    second is the number of units that the customer has decided to purchase

    Starting with that, the rest of it pretty much writes itself...

    When the customer adds an item to their cart, it checks whether that product
    id already exists in the Dictionary. If no, it adds it with a count of 1. If
    yes, it increments the count by 1. Same process but in reverse if the
    customer chooses to remove (or decrement the amount) of an item.

    The checkout page uses the Session["cart"] object to fetch more detail about
    the item(s), and adds stuff like VAT / sales tax, region etc.

    When the user clicks the Checkout button, a PayPal form is built in the
    background and then the whole thing redirects to the PayPal site, which
    takes over from there.

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 25, 2007
  8. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    Mark,

    Thanks for your reply. I dont actually have an issue with working out how to
    select , store, pick etc from a list of choices. Perhaps I could have been
    clearer in my question and thinking it through as I write this; undoubtedly
    this is true, if I had put more thought into what I was trying to get from
    an answer, I would not have left ambiguity in my question and wasted
    everyones time including my own, for that I apologise.

    I am interested in the building of the html page/form in the background for
    submission as you refer to, if you have an example of this, i would be very
    grateful, im sure I can work it out myself, but I would nevertheless like to
    see how you did it.

    Thank you.

    Just Me, Sep 25, 2007
  9. "Just Me" <news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I am interested in the building of the html page/form in the background
    > for submission as you refer to, if you have an example of this, i would be
    > very grateful, im sure I can work it out myself, but I would nevertheless
    > like to see how you did it.

    This will only work for PayPal, obviously, but several other payment
    gateways have similar mechanisms:

    private void BindData()
    {
    Dictionary<string, byte> dicCart = (Dictionary<string,
    byte>)Session["dicCart"];
    string strPayPalForm;
    DataRow objRow = null;
    LinkButton lnkRemove;
    decimal curItemTotal = 0;
    decimal curSubTotal = 0;
    decimal curShipping = 0;
    decimal curShippingTotal = 0;
    decimal curTotal = 0;

    try
    {
    if(dicCart.Count == 0)
    {
    tblCart.Visible = false;
    ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(GetType(), "emptyCart",
    "alert('There are no items in your shopping
    cart');window.location='default.aspx';", true);
    }
    else
    {
    tblCart.Visible = true;

    strPayPalForm = String.Empty;

    strPayPalForm += "<form target=\"paypal\" id=\"frmPayPal\"
    action=\"" +
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["PayPalURL"] + "\"
    method=\"post\">\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "\t<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"cmd\" value=\"_cart\"
    />\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "\t<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"upload\" value=\"1\"
    />\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "\t<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"business\"
    value=\"" +
    System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["PayPalAccount"] + "\"
    />\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "\t<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"currency_code\"
    value=\"GBP\" />\r\n";

    using (DataSet objDS = new DataSet())
    {
    objDS.ReadXml(Request.PhysicalApplicationPath +
    "\\App_Data\\merch.xml");
    DataColumn[] objPK = new DataColumn[1];
    objPK[0] = objDS.Tables[0].Columns["id"];
    objDS.Tables[0].PrimaryKey = objPK;

    int intItem = 1;

    foreach (KeyValuePair<string, byte> kvpItem in dicCart)
    {
    objRow = objDS.Tables[0].Rows.Find(kvpItem.Key);

    using (TableRow objTR = new TableRow()) // create a new row
    {
    // item -----------------------------------------------------
    using (TableCell objTD = new TableCell())
    {
    objTD.Text = objRow["item_type"].ToString();
    objTD.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Left;
    objTR.Cells.Add(objTD);
    }

    // description ----------------------------------------------
    using (TableCell objTD = new TableCell())
    {
    objTD.Text = objRow["item_description"].ToString();
    objTD.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Left;
    objTR.Cells.Add(objTD);
    }
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"item_name_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + objRow["item_description"].ToString() +
    "\" />\r\n";

    // quantity -------------------------------------------------
    using (TableCell objTD = new TableCell())
    {
    objTD.Controls.Add(new LiteralControl(kvpItem.Value.ToString() +
    "&nbsp;"));
    lnkRemove = (LinkButton)pnlCart.FindControl("lnkRemove_" +
    kvpItem.Key);
    lnkRemove.Visible = true;
    if (kvpItem.Value == 1)
    {
    lnkRemove.ToolTip = "Remove this item from your shopping cart";
    }
    else
    {
    lnkRemove.ToolTip = "Reduce the quantity of this item";
    }
    objTD.Controls.Add(lnkRemove);
    objTD.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Right;
    objTR.Cells.Add(objTD);
    }
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"quantity_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + kvpItem.Value.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";

    // unit cost ------------------------------------------------
    using (TableCell objTD = new TableCell())
    {
    objTD.Text = objRow["item_cost"].ToString();
    objTD.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Right;
    objTR.Cells.Add(objTD);
    }
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"amount_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + objRow["item_cost"].ToString() + "\"
    />\r\n";

    // total cost -----------------------------------------------
    curItemTotal = Convert.ToDecimal(Convert.ToDecimal(kvpItem.Value) *
    Convert.ToDecimal(objRow["item_cost"].ToString()));
    curSubTotal += curItemTotal;
    switch (cmbShipping.SelectedValue)
    {
    case "1": // UK
    {
    curShipping = Convert.ToDecimal(objRow["item_ship_uk"].ToString());
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    if (kvpItem.Value > 1)
    {
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping2_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    }
    curShippingTotal +=
    Convert.ToDecimal(Convert.ToDecimal(kvpItem.Value) * curShipping);
    break;
    }
    case "2": // EU
    {
    curShipping =
    Convert.ToDecimal(objRow["item_ship_europe"].ToString());
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    if (kvpItem.Value > 1)
    {
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping2_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    }
    curShippingTotal +=
    Convert.ToDecimal(Convert.ToDecimal(kvpItem.Value) * curShipping);
    break;
    }
    case "3": // rest of world
    {
    curShipping =
    Convert.ToDecimal(objRow["item_ship_world"].ToString());
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    if (kvpItem.Value > 1)
    {
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"shipping2_" +
    intItem.ToString() + "\" value=\"" + curShipping.ToString() + "\" />\r\n";
    }
    curShippingTotal +=
    Convert.ToDecimal(Convert.ToDecimal(kvpItem.Value) * curShipping);
    break;
    using (TableCell objTD = new TableCell())
    {
    objTD.Text = curItemTotal.ToString("#,##0.00");
    objTD.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Right;
    objTR.Cells.Add(objTD);
    }

    tblCart.Rows.AddAt(intItem, objTR); // add the row to the table
    }
    intItem++;

    lblShipping.Text = curShippingTotal.ToString("#,##0.00");
    curTotal = curSubTotal + curShippingTotal;
    lblTotal.Text = curTotal.ToString("#,##0.00");
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"button\" value=\"Continue shopping\"
    onclick=\"location.href='default.aspx';\" />\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "&nbsp;\r\n";
    strPayPalForm += "<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Proceed to checkout\"
    onclick=\"return submitPayPal();\" />";

    strPayPalForm += "</form>";
    ((Literal)Master.FindControl("litAdditional")).Text =
    strPayPalForm.Replace("\r\n", String.Empty);
    catch (Exception ex)
    {
    CApplication.GlobalExceptionHandler(ex);

    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://www.markrae.net
    Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 25, 2007
  10. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    Many thanks for that.

    I will digest it, and attempt to use it.

    Regards

    Just Me, Sep 25, 2007
  11. Just Me

    sloan Guest

    You might want to check out the
    http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/paypal-ecommerce/

    if you want minimal coding effort.

    Remember, the key word in "Starter Kit" is "Starter", and not "Complete
    Solution".

    sloan, Sep 25, 2007