    could figure out a way to do this in html or javascript. thanks for any
    help.
    , Mar 29, 2005

  2. Steve Pugh Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm using a non-toolbared web page to act like a file launcher. I need
    >it to behave like most commercial cd-rom autorun menus, where when you
    >click a link to do something, like say open a readme file, the file
    >opens in notepad or whatever the associated program may be. I am trying
    >to use this web page as a menu to open several office files (publisher
    >and excel files) so that they are not buried in hard to find
    >directories. The files will be located locally on the same machine's
    >hard drive. I was hoping instead of buying an autorun menu program i
    >could figure out a way to do this in html or javascript. thanks for any
    >help.

    Just link to the files normally.

    The file will open in Word so long as the user's browser is configured
    to automatically open Word documents in Word. If the user's browser
    isn't configured like that then there's nothing you as an author can
    do about it, so on the WWW that would be the end of the story. But as
    it sounds like you're making this feature for your own personal use
    only it should be easy for you to configure your browser to behave the
    way you want it to.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Mar 29, 2005

    The first part worked for me. Thanks, but how do i configure IE to open
    certain files without prompting?
    , Mar 29, 2005

    nevermind, in xp it asks if ie wants you to be asked each time so i
    just un-checked the box. Who knew ie configurations could be so easy.
    Thanks Steve!
    , Mar 29, 2005