Open file with Hyperlink without dialog box

mcwhirt3

I'm using a non-toolbared web page to act like a file launcher. I need
it to behave like most commercial cd-rom autorun menus, where when you
click a link to do something, like say open a readme file, the file
opens in notepad or whatever the associated program may be. I am trying
to use this web page as a menu to open several office files (publisher
and excel files) so that they are not buried in hard to find
directories. The files will be located locally on the same machine's
hard drive. I was hoping instead of buying an autorun menu program i
could figure out a way to do this in html or javascript. thanks for any
help.

Steve Pugh

I'm using a non-toolbared web page to act like a file launcher. I need
it to behave like most commercial cd-rom autorun menus, where when you
click a link to do something, like say open a readme file, the file
opens in notepad or whatever the associated program may be. I am trying
to use this web page as a menu to open several office files (publisher
and excel files) so that they are not buried in hard to find
directories. The files will be located locally on the same machine's
hard drive. I was hoping instead of buying an autorun menu program i
could figure out a way to do this in html or javascript. thanks for any
help.

Just link to the files normally.

The file will open in Word so long as the user's browser is configured
to automatically open Word documents in Word. If the user's browser
isn't configured like that then there's nothing you as an author can
do about it, so on the WWW that would be the end of the story. But as
it sounds like you're making this feature for your own personal use
only it should be easy for you to configure your browser to behave the
way you want it to.

Steve

mcwhirt3

The first part worked for me. Thanks, but how do i configure IE to open
certain files without prompting?

mcwhirt3

nevermind, in xp it asks if ie wants you to be asked each time so i
just un-checked the box. Who knew ie configurations could be so easy.
Thanks Steve!