Opening an MS Access .mdb file from asp.net

Dave

Greetings,

I need some help from the gurus out there.

I have a .mdb file on the server. I have a button on the server that when I
user clicks it, I would like it to open up that .mdb file in MS Access.

Thanks,

-Dave

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

Dave,
Unless you have control over all your users' workstations, this will be
difficult to do. First, you must be sure that all of your users have MS
Access on their computers. Second, the best you can do is provide a
hyperlink to the .mdb file or stream the file out directly. Either way, it
will be up to the client's computer what program to open the file with. If
the user has MS Access installed, then the browser would mostly likely
launch Access when the user attempts to download the .mdb file. You can
make your button act as a hyperlink to the .mdb file. That would be the
easiest way using the onclick attribute. Have I addressed this question
adequately?

Dave

Jeffrey,

This web app will be hosted internally on our servers in an office of 45
people. We all have MS Access installed on our machines, so that's all
taken care of.

I tried a Response.Redirect(Path to .mdb file), but it wouldn't work.

The event is actually fired in the selection of an item in a asp.net menu
control, but I tried to keep my example simple for the question by just
designating a button click event.

Edge

Dave said:
Jeffrey,

This web app will be hosted internally on our servers in an office of
45 people. We all have MS Access installed on our machines, so
that's all taken care of.

I tried a Response.Redirect(Path to .mdb file), but it wouldn't work.

I suggest creating a network share to the database folder,
and using a link like this:

This will work fine if not too many people are opening the
file at the same time.

You can still decide to make the share read-only or read/write.