optimizing aspnet application - speed up

Dariusz Tomon

Hi

I noticed that all my ASPNET applications (+ MSSQL Server - I checked the
database and it is ok) run very slowly (especially from the beginning). I
made comparison to other applications (not mine) on another servers. I
wonder how could I boost the applications. The only thing I suspect is that
in configuration manager in my VS2003 I have got debug.

Could you tell me your suggestions please?

Regards

Darek T.

Jeff Dillon

Create a simple one line test.aspx page

<% response.write ("hello world") %>

and go from there

Rob R. Ainscough

With VS 2005 you can minimize it a little, but the first time the page is
render in a session it will be a slower, after that it is pretty fast. To
speed things up a little, look into deploying your ASP 2.0 app using a
pre-compile approach

aspnet_compiler -v [Application Name} -p[Physical location] [Target}

Your aspx files are now just headers -- you can rename HTML, XML, XSD,
web.config and Text files to .aspx to take advantage of the obfuscating
also. Runs faster overall.

Rob

Jason Hales

There's lots of things you can take advantage of to make things run
faster. Are you using Page and Application Caching, effective
ViewState & Session usage

Things will always initially be slow. If the ASP.NET pages have
changed then they will need to be loaded into memory and re-compiled
(due to on-demand dynamic compilation)

If you're using IIS6 you can increase the recycle timeout to prevent
asp.net from being recycled and hence having to recomple after
restarting.

I've seen it suggested that you should use a script to automatically
call the popular pages in your application as soon as you deploy new
versions so that the first visitors don't experience the delay

Also, have you added Trace="True" to your Page Directive to get a
better idea of timings?

Finally, I've used ANTS Profiler from www.red-gate.com to get an exact
idea of which methods are taking time and how often they get called.
Redgate also have ANTS Loads to stress test web apps. The Profiler
saved me days in trying to tune .Net apps

Jason

Jeff Dillon

I wasn't joking! This would tell if the server itself was slow. Start with a
simple page (basic troubleshooting) then add your code till you find the
problem.

Jeff