MCSD/MCAD Self Paced Training kit - Please help

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Josko Petric, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Josko Petric

    Josko Petric Guest

    Hi,
    I am sorry if this is not the place for this question, but if anyone could
    please atleast direct me to the newsgroup where I could find the solution to
    my problem.
    --------
    I recently bought MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit (.NET Core
    requirements) - the latest one (2nd ED), and I decided to learn
    70-305/70-315 exam Developing Web Applications with Visual Basic.NET and
    Visual C#.
    Now, as it is suggested in installation of trial version of Visual
    Studio.NET,and accompanion CD, I downloaded and installed MSDE (SQL Server
    2000 desktop engine) sql2ksp3.
    Service manager does not even recognize that instance of the SQL Server
    exists, and I had manually to write into servers edit box
    ComputerName\VSDOTNET, as it self installs it in that manner. Before that I
    had to manually start MSSQL$VSDOTNET service - it wasn't started by default.
    That is not even half of the problem.

    I tried to execute http://localhost/MCSDWebApps2/mcsdwebappsvb/default.aspx,
    trying to start examples for visual basic .net, but I got the following
    response:

    Server cannot access application directory 'C:\Microsoft
    Press\MCSDWebApps2\MCSDWebAppsVB\'. The directory does not exist or is not
    accessible because of security settings.

    I thought, some security settings are wrong, but when I opened IIS -> the
    message is right: THIS WEB APPLICATION DOESN'T EXIST!!!! It is odd, because,
    application for C# exists and it is running !!!!

    I rechecked installation from CD, but VB.NET application is included in
    installation, and it is not present into IIS as virtual directory!!!

    As it is recommended in the book, I went to study QuickStart examples. And
    it worked until I tried to open the example which connects to the database.
    The page:

    http://localhost/quickstart/aspplus/samples/webforms/intro/VB/Intro8.aspx

    works until I try to enter name and make an lookup. Then it says the
    following:

    Server Error in '/QuickStart/ASPPlus' Application.
    ----

    SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    The same thing appears when I try to connect to the database with C#
    examples from QuickStart, and from MCSDWebApps2 - again C# examples, because
    VB.NET doesn't work.

    I inspected directories, and found SQL scripts. After some digging on the
    internet, I found the way to execute those scripts. Why should I execute
    them? Because log of the ConfigSamples.exe in

    D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup

    says following:

    [Info] Could not detect NetSDK instance of SQL Server. Databases will not
    be installed.

    Execution of the scripts went ok, and also permissions assignments for the
    ASPNET account, but the problem remains - NOT EVEN ONE APPLICATION CAN'T
    CONNECT TO THE SQL SERVER!!! And SqlServer agent clearly shows that the
    server MYCOMPUTER\VSDOTNET is RUNNING.

    I tried with the tool I found on the internet MSDEQuery to connect to the
    databases with SQLServer (Local) and Windows NT Authentication options, and
    it works for the Contacts database installed from CD, but when I try to
    connect to the Pubs database (Intro8.aspx uses - i inspected the code
    behind), on execution:

    select * from pubs

    I get the following:

    Error on Server:, Source:.Net SqlClient Data Provider
    Class:16, Msg 208, State 1, Line 1
    Invalid object name 'Pubs'.

    Please can anyone help me to get this stuff up and running. I Tried it on
    Windows XP Professional SP1, and now on Windows 2000 Professional SP3, and I
    am out of options (I reinstalled OS-es twice!!!)

    Did anyone have this kind of errors, and problems? Do I have to install
    SQLServer 2000 (the real one not this command line "freeware") to get this
    going? What am I doing wrong? This stuff supposed to be easy to start with,
    and I already lost 3 days trying to figure this out.

    Thanks in advance.

    Josko Petric
    --
    If you want to reply on my e-mail
    address, please change '0' to 'o'

    Josko Petric, Jul 13, 2003

  2. "Josko Petric" <1net.hr> wrote
    > I tried to execute http://localhost/MCSDWebApps2/mcsdwebappsvb/default.aspx,
    > trying to start examples for visual basic .net, but I got the following
    > response:
    >
    > Server cannot access application directory 'C:\Microsoft
    > Press\MCSDWebApps2\MCSDWebAppsVB\'. The directory does not exist or is not
    > accessible because of security settings.

    Josko,
    By design, ASP.NET requires read, execute, and list access for the ASPNET account
    (the Aspnet_wp.exe process account) on the root Web site or on any virtual directory.
    This is necessary so that ASP.NET can access the content files and can monitor file changes.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316721

    > http://localhost/quickstart/aspplus/samples/webforms/intro/VB/Intro8.aspx
    > works until I try to enter name and make an lookup. Then it says the
    > following:
    > Server Error in '/QuickStart/ASPPlus' Application.
    > SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    >
    > The same thing appears when I try to connect to the database with C#
    > examples from QuickStart, and from MCSDWebApps2 - again C# examples, because
    > VB.NET doesn't work.
    > I inspected directories, and found SQL scripts. After some digging on the
    > internet, I found the way to execute those scripts. Why should I execute
    > them? Because log of the ConfigSamples.exe in
    > D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Samples\Setup
    > says following:
    > [Info] Could not detect NetSDK instance of SQL Server. Databases will not
    > be installed.
    >
    > Execution of the scripts went ok, and also permissions assignments for the
    > ASPNET account, but the problem remains - NOT EVEN ONE APPLICATION CAN'T
    > CONNECT TO THE SQL SERVER!!! And SqlServer agent clearly shows that the
    > server MYCOMPUTER\VSDOTNET is RUNNING.

    The ASP.NET worker process uses the local ASPNET user account by default.
    And by default, the local ASPNET user account does not have any permissions
    in SQL Server, and therefore it cannot access the database.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316989

    Try giving the local ASPNET account permissons to the local database.

    > I tried with the tool I found on the internet MSDEQuery to connect to the
    > databases with SQLServer (Local) and Windows NT Authentication options, and
    > it works for the Contacts database installed from CD, but when I try to
    > connect to the Pubs database (Intro8.aspx uses - i inspected the code
    > behind), on execution:
    >
    > select * from pubs
    >
    > I get the following:
    >
    > Error on Server:, Source:.Net SqlClient Data Provider
    > Class:16, Msg 208, State 1, Line 1
    > Invalid object name 'Pubs'.

    Pubs is the name of the database. Use a table name like "select * from customers"

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Carl Prothman [MVP], Jul 14, 2003

  3. Josko Petric

    Josko Petric Guest

    Thanks Carl for your thorough answer.
    My friend tried to install all of these stuff on sqlserver 2000 (eval), and
    it worked without any problem! I removed MSDE (I'm not really acustomed to
    command line tools, especially sqlserver), and installed sqlserver 2000, and
    repeated installation from the mcsd/mcad cdrom, and the problem remained,
    until I gave permissions to the ComputerName/ASPNET account rights on the
    databases (using enterprise menager), as you told me to do. Then examples
    from the book worked immediateliy. It is interesting - MCSDWebApps2 for
    VB.NET installed this time. But quickstart examples (Intro8.aspx) that come
    with VS.NET 2003 Trial, still don't work complaining about the same thing,
    and rights are set like on those from the book.

    Thank you for your answer. If you know what should I do to start QuickStart
    examples - I would be grateful, but if it is unknown problem - I'll probably
    go on with this, without quickstart examples using database.

    Thank you again.

    Josko Petric, Jul 15, 2003