[OT] Culture and Empire

Discussion in 'Python' started by Amirouche Boubekki, Jan 1, 2014.

  1. Héllo everybody,

    I stumbled on Culture and Empire a few days ago and I've been reading
    it since then. I'm not finished yet. It's insigthful, smart and
    provocative. It bridge past, present and future. I will put it in my
    armory *ahem* library between Fundation and The Cathedral and the
    Bazaar until I read Present Shock. This is the book you want, need and
    will read this year if any.

    I quick glimpse into the very readable book:

    ---8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<

    Chapter 1. Magic Machines

    Far away, in a different place, a civilization called Culture had
    taken seed, and was growing. It owned little except a magic spell
    called Knowledge.

    In this chapter, I’ll examine how the Internet is changing our
    society. It’s happening quickly. The most significant changes have
    occurred during just the last 10 years or so. More and more of our
    knowledge about the world and other people is transmitted and stored
    digitally. What we know and who we know are moving out of our minds
    and into databases. These changes scare many people, whereas in fact
    they contain the potential to free us, empowering us to improve
    society in ways that were never before possible.

    There is also a presentation of the content of the book that I didn't
    review yet. But it seems like you don't need to read all the book to
    understand what is in inside. There is also a related crowdfunding
    project, but I don't know more that since I want to finish the book
    first.

    http://cultureandempire.com/

    Happy new year (indeed),

    Amirouche ~ http://hypermove.net/