OT: Do we deserve an acknowledgement?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Jonathan Bromley, Jul 25, 2007.

  1. A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
    from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
    combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
    sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
    all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.

    The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
    Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
    desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
    it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
    whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
    I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    Jonathan Bromley, Jul 25, 2007

  2. Jonathan Bromley

    HT-Lab Guest

    Re: Do we deserve an acknowledgement?

    "Jonathan Bromley" <> wrote in message
    >A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
    > from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
    > combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
    > sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
    > all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.
    >
    > The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
    > Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
    > desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
    > it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
    > whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
    > I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?
    > --

    No I fully agree provided the OP doesn't say thank you to each reply for
    obvious reasons. Most people don't understand or appreciate that politeness
    will get you much further in life. Oh well, I guess in this age of Big
    Brother (my country's fault I am sorry to say) and SMS style communication
    it might be just the way things work........

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Jul 25, 2007

  3. Jonathan Bromley

    Evan Lavelle Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:35:59 +0100, Jonathan Bromley
    <> wrote:

    >A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
    >from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
    >combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
    >sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
    >all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.
    >
    >The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.

    I can only see 3 posts from him, and he replied to one. But, this has
    crossed my mind as well, so I had a quick look at the posts on Google
    groups from January and February 1999, in a desperate attempt to delay
    work. In 21 threads, the OP didn't reply in 13 cases, and provided an
    acknowledgement of some sort in 8 cases. So, things probably haven't
    changed that much.

    There were other obvious changes, though. There seemed to be a lot
    more regulars, a lot more 'experts', or at least competent VHDL-ers,
    and a lot fewer of the really dumb or irrelevant questions, or
    homework problems. The highlights were Janick Bergeron's assertion
    that you could learn Verilog in 2 weeks if you already knew VHDL (*2*
    weeks?!), and 'Bromley's criteria for abject failure of any
    engineering development'.

    >Or am
    >I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

    Probably :)

    Evan
    Evan Lavelle, Jul 25, 2007
  4. On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:24:06 +0100, Evan
    Lavelle <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:35:59 +0100, Jonathan Bromley
    ><> wrote:

    [...]
    >>The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.

    >I can only see 3 posts from him, and he replied to one.

    That reply was in fact a new question.

    >In 21 threads, the OP didn't reply in 13 cases, and provided an
    >acknowledgement of some sort in 8 cases. So, things probably haven't
    >changed that much.

    OK

    >>Or am
    >>I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

    >Probably :)

    Fair enough. I have a reputation to maintain.

    Jonathan Bromley, Jul 25, 2007
  5. Jonathan Bromley

    Andy Guest

    > >>Or am
    > >>I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

    > >Probably :)

    > Fair enough. I have a reputation to maintain.

    Since this is a vhdl forum involving logic design, I suppose that it
    it pertinent to point out that you did use the OR operator, and not
    XOR, as in:

    XOR am I just being a grumpy old man, as usual.

    The above meaning that either the OP was impolite, or you were grumpy,
    but not both.

    Therefore it is possible that the OP was being impolite AND you were
    just being grumpy... :^)

    On the other hand there is an implied AND in the ", as usual" meaning
    that it would not be true if you were just being grumpy, but you are
    not usually just being grumpy. And, to be fair, there is an implied
    AND with old.

    In vhdl:

    variable result: boolean;
    variable op_was_impolite : boolean;
    variable bromley_is_grumpy : boolean;
    variable bromley_is_old: boolean;
    variable bromley_is_usually_grumpy : boolean; -- output of fir filter?
    variable bromley_is_usually_old : boolean; -- output of fir filter?

    result:= op_was_impolite OR (bromley_is_grumpy AND
    bromley_is_old AND
    bromley_is_usually_grumpy AND
    bromley_is_usually_old);

    Note also that the fir filter to produce bromley_is_usually_old must
    be of sufficiently short time constant such that the output is not a
    constant false (well, I guess it _eventually_ could become true). The
    fir filter for bromley_is_usually_grumpy could be arbitrarily long.

    There, now we've actually discussed vhdl. :^)

    Andy
    Andy, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Jonathan Bromley wrote:

    > ... am I alone in thinking that
    > it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
    > whether the replies were pertinent and helpful?

    That would be nice.
    But our contributions are
    not useless for lack of an answer.
    In a couple of weeks when the articles flow
    into the google database, I will be able to
    search and find "entity just_for_example"

    I am usually less generous with
    questions formed poorly or lacking interest.
    I might invest a link or a few lines of text
    to draw them out, but without a
    response I pass the baton.
    This is all balanced, of course, by the rare
    inspiring question or observation.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Jul 25, 2007
  7. Jonathan Bromley wrote:

    > The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
    > Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
    > desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
    > it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
    > whether the replies were pertinent and helpful?

    No, you're not alone in this matter.
    I too think a response would be polite.

    > Or am I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

    And if so, so what?
    ;-)

    --
    Paul Uiterlinden
    www.aimvalley.nl
    Paul Uiterlinden, Jul 25, 2007
  8. Jonathan Bromley

    Guest

    i would like to say that all you vetrans are doing a really good job,
    else people like me who are new to this feild would be completely
    lost.
    A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for the prompt and early responses
    , Jul 26, 2007
  9. Jonathan Bromley wrote:

    > The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
    > Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
    > desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
    > it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
    > whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
    > I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

    It's not just an issue of politeness, either.

    I'm not aware of the nature of the posts in question in this case, but
    there's only 1 thing more frustrating than searching newsgroup archives
    and finding someone with the same problem/questions as you, with a
    response from someone else, and not knowing whether or not the response
    helped the OP - and that's when there's NO responses at all!

    A simple "That solved my problem - thanks!" is not only polite, it lets
    others know that the response could help them too!

    Regards,

    --
    Mark McDougall, Engineer
    21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
    Mark McDougall, Jul 27, 2007
  10. Mark McDougall wrote:

    > A simple "That solved my problem - thanks!" is not only polite, it lets
    > others know that the response could help them too!

    Actually I should add, that when I ask a question and then discover the
    answer myself before anyone else has responded, I usually try to answer my
    OP just so future searchers may benefit.

    Regards,

    Mark McDougall, Jul 27, 2007
  11. Jonathan Bromley

    Shannon Guest

    On Jul 26, 5:15 pm, Mark McDougall <> wrote:
    > Mark McDougall wrote:
    > > A simple "That solved my problem - thanks!" is not only polite, it lets
    > > others know that the response could help them too!

    > Actually I should add, that when I ask a question and then discover the
    > answer myself before anyone else has responded, I usually try to answer my
    > OP just so future searchers may benefit.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Mark McDougall, Engineer
    > Virtual Logic Pty Ltd, <http://www.vl.com.au>
    > 21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
    > Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266

    I, in fact, not only reply in the thread as soon as I can but I put
    comments in my code as to who helped me get it written. This group,
    like many others, is the most pure form of altruism you'll come
    across. I fear that if some kind of acknowledgment isn't forthcoming
    that the 'well' may dry up!

    Shannon

    P.S. The other reason for keeping a list of those that helped me is
    also so that I have a vetted list of people I can throw money at if I
    get REALLY stuck!
    Shannon, Jul 29, 2007