OT: Do we deserve an acknowledgement?

Jonathan Bromley

A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.

The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

(e-mail address removed)
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

HT-Lab

Jonathan Bromley said:
A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.

The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?
--

No I fully agree provided the OP doesn't say thank you to each reply for
obvious reasons. Most people don't understand or appreciate that politeness

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Evan Lavelle

A few days ago there was a flurry of four questions here
from one G.Iveco. The questions were clear, if a little
combative (the usual Verilog-user-can't-see-the-point-of-VHDL
sort of thing). They received a good number of responses,
all polite and interesting, some quite provocative.

The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.

I can only see 3 posts from him, and he replied to one. But, this has
crossed my mind as well, so I had a quick look at the posts on Google
groups from January and February 1999, in a desperate attempt to delay
work. In 21 threads, the OP didn't reply in 13 cases, and provided an
acknowledgement of some sort in 8 cases. So, things probably haven't
changed that much.

There were other obvious changes, though. There seemed to be a lot
more regulars, a lot more 'experts', or at least competent VHDL-ers,
and a lot fewer of the really dumb or irrelevant questions, or
homework problems. The highlights were Janick Bergeron's assertion
that you could learn Verilog in 2 weeks if you already knew VHDL (*2*
weeks?!), and 'Bromley's criteria for abject failure of any
engineering development'.
Or am
I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

Probably :)

Evan

Jonathan Bromley

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:35:59 +0100, Jonathan Bromley

I can only see 3 posts from him, and he replied to one.

That reply was in fact a new question.
In 21 threads, the OP didn't reply in 13 cases, and provided an
acknowledgement of some sort in 8 cases. So, things probably haven't
changed that much.
OK

Probably :)

Fair enough. I have a reputation to maintain.
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

(e-mail address removed)
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Andy

Fair enough. I have a reputation to maintain.

Since this is a vhdl forum involving logic design, I suppose that it
it pertinent to point out that you did use the OR operator, and not
XOR, as in:

XOR am I just being a grumpy old man, as usual.

The above meaning that either the OP was impolite, or you were grumpy,
but not both.

Therefore it is possible that the OP was being impolite AND you were
just being grumpy... :^)

On the other hand there is an implied AND in the ", as usual" meaning
that it would not be true if you were just being grumpy, but you are
not usually just being grumpy. And, to be fair, there is an implied
AND with old.

In vhdl:

variable result: boolean;
variable op_was_impolite : boolean;
variable bromley_is_grumpy : boolean;
variable bromley_is_old: boolean;
variable bromley_is_usually_grumpy : boolean; -- output of fir filter?
variable bromley_is_usually_old : boolean; -- output of fir filter?

result:= op_was_impolite OR (bromley_is_grumpy AND
bromley_is_old AND
bromley_is_usually_grumpy AND
bromley_is_usually_old);

Note also that the fir filter to produce bromley_is_usually_old must
be of sufficiently short time constant such that the output is not a
constant false (well, I guess it _eventually_ could become true). The
fir filter for bromley_is_usually_grumpy could be arbitrarily long.

There, now we've actually discussed vhdl. :^)

Andy

Mike Treseler

Jonathan said:
... am I alone in thinking that
it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
whether the replies were pertinent and helpful?

That would be nice.
But our contributions are
not useless for lack of an answer.
In a couple of weeks when the articles flow
into the google database, I will be able to
search and find "entity just_for_example"

I am usually less generous with
questions formed poorly or lacking interest.
I might invest a link or a few lines of text
to draw them out, but without a
response I pass the baton.
This is all balanced, of course, by the rare
inspiring question or observation.

-- Mike Treseler

Paul Uiterlinden

Jonathan said:
The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
whether the replies were pertinent and helpful?

No, you're not alone in this matter.
I too think a response would be polite.
Or am I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

And if so, so what?
;-)

mk.supriya

i would like to say that all you vetrans are doing a really good job,
else people like me who are new to this feild would be completely
lost.
A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for the prompt and early responses

Mark McDougall

Jonathan said:
The original poster has not chosen to respond in any way.
Now, I don't imagine anyone who responded is particularly
desperate for gratitude. But am I alone in thinking that
it would, at the very least, be nice to have some idea of
whether the replies were pertinent and helpful? Or am
I just being a grumpy old man, as usual?

It's not just an issue of politeness, either.

I'm not aware of the nature of the posts in question in this case, but
there's only 1 thing more frustrating than searching newsgroup archives
and finding someone with the same problem/questions as you, with a
response from someone else, and not knowing whether or not the response
helped the OP - and that's when there's NO responses at all!

A simple "That solved my problem - thanks!" is not only polite, it lets
others know that the response could help them too!

Regards,

Mark McDougall

Mark said:
A simple "That solved my problem - thanks!" is not only polite, it lets
others know that the response could help them too!

Actually I should add, that when I ask a question and then discover the
answer myself before anyone else has responded, I usually try to answer my
OP just so future searchers may benefit.

Regards,

Shannon

Actually I should add, that when I ask a question and then discover the
answer myself before anyone else has responded, I usually try to answer my
OP just so future searchers may benefit.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216

I, in fact, not only reply in the thread as soon as I can but I put
comments in my code as to who helped me get it written. This group,
like many others, is the most pure form of altruism you'll come
across. I fear that if some kind of acknowledgment isn't forthcoming
that the 'well' may dry up!

Shannon

P.S. The other reason for keeping a list of those that helped me is
also so that I have a vetted list of people I can throw money at if I
get REALLY stuck!