[OT] Indian C programmers and "u"

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Joona I Palaste, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    schools to teach mangled English or something?

    --
    /-- Joona Palaste () ------------- Finland --------\
    \-- http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste --------------------- rules! --------/
    "Shh! The maestro is decomposing!"
    - Gary Larson
     
    Joona I Palaste, Nov 25, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:18:36 +0000, Joona I Palaste wrote:

    > Why is it that *every
    > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u" for
    > "you"?


    Because when they don't you don't notice that they are from india.

    > Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but that one mistake
    > sticks out.


    Perhaps it's a miguided attempt at beeing 1337 ?

    Or perhaps that they're better at spoken english more than english (a
    significant amount of people learn most of their english from TV) and the
    fact that "u" and "you" sound the same leads to the mistake.

    --
    NPV

    "the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
    Tom Waits - Step right up
     
    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 25, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joona I Palaste

    Naren Guest

    Hello,
    Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
    while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
    "you","coz" for "because",and many more.

    I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)

    Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.

    Do you agree with it?

    Best Regards,
    Naren.
    "Nils Petter Vaskinn" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:18:36 +0000, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >
    > > Why is it that *every
    > > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u" for
    > > "you"?

    >
    > Because when they don't you don't notice that they are from india.
    >
    > > Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but that one mistake
    > > sticks out.

    >
    > Perhaps it's a miguided attempt at beeing 1337 ?
    >
    > Or perhaps that they're better at spoken english more than english (a
    > significant amount of people learn most of their english from TV) and the
    > fact that "u" and "you" sound the same leads to the mistake.
    >
    > --
    > NPV
    >
    > "the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
    > Tom Waits - Step right up
    >
     
    Naren, Nov 25, 2003
    #3
  4. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:43:01 +0100, Naren wrote:

    > They most of the times use "u" for
    > "you","coz" for "because",and many more.
    >
    > I think this makes communication rather informal


    But in a newsgroup discussing C beeing as formal and accurate as possible
    is desirable.

    > and it also is stylish..:)


    I disagree.

    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.
    >
    > Do you agree with it?


    That it has become a trend: yes. That it is stylish and a good idea: no.

    There are people reading the group that are not too good at english, slang
    makes things harder for them so it should be avoided.

    Mistakes are ok, writing less readable to be cool (or because typing
    because is too much work compared to coz) is not.


    Everything here is ofcourse my opinion, other readers of clc may disagree
    with me.

    --
    NPV

    "the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away"
    Tom Waits - Step right up
     
    Nils Petter Vaskinn, Nov 25, 2003
    #4
  5. Joona I Palaste

    Richard Bos Guest

    "Naren" <> wrote:

    [ Please do not top-post. And please do learn to snip. ]

    > "Nils Petter Vaskinn" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    > > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:18:36 +0000, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > >
    > > > Why is it that *every
    > > > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u" for
    > > > "you"?


    > > Perhaps it's a miguided attempt at beeing 1337 ?
    > >
    > > Or perhaps that they're better at spoken english more than english (a
    > > significant amount of people learn most of their english from TV) and the
    > > fact that "u" and "you" sound the same leads to the mistake.


    > Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
    > while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
    > "you","coz" for "because",and many more.


    You must only have communicated with school children and script kiddies
    (frequently the same thing), because they are the only people I can
    think of who regularly use d00dsp33k. The rest of us know that it makes
    us look illiterate.

    > I think this makes communication rather informal


    Informal, and awkward.

    > and it also is stylish..:)


    For values of "stylish" that also include the day-glo tracksuit, the
    purple PVC couch, and driving circles around the block on your scooter,
    perhaps.

    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.


    In some circles, yes, but not in any circles with which a serious
    programmer wishes to be associated, frankly.

    Richard
     
    Richard Bos, Nov 25, 2003
    #5
  6. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bpvdqc$iv8$>...
    > I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    > for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    > that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    > schools to teach mangled English or something?

    <OT>
    Not *every single* Indian C [or see] programmer. [Yo]u will find
    a very small percentage of my posts containing the SMS lingo. At the
    roots of this is a socio-developmental cause. That would be quite OT I
    should think. The fact that it is a third world country may have
    something to do with it. It is easy to be judgemental sitting in the
    comforts of an AC cabin in places where people are paid good cash and
    given free cars as social benefit for doing absolutely nothing. Here
    education is a luxury, not a sure fire access scheme. People go to
    great lengths to achieve it. Some of the people who do the posting may
    have learnt from local language schools.. maybe that would be a valid
    cause ... A good percentage of us learn it purely from the foreign
    media. In fact it is a tribute to the tenacity of our people that BPO
    is coming to us in a major way.
    When choosing between grammer and food the choice may not be too
    difficult. Regardless, there is an increasing percentage of people
    specially in the cities who are Anglicised in the real sense of the
    term. In concluding, I would just have to say that judge
    Indians/Mexicans/Martians...and any other creature not on the basis of
    the outward characteristics, but on the inner correctness as a whole.
    And don't go at nations/communities ... with the advent of the
    Internet and globalisation we should be moving out of that phase at
    least now. For too long we have been involved in uncivilised groupings
    which served our purposes in the long dead past. Now look at the
    future and a removal of barriers and not vice versa.
    <\OT>
     
    Anupam, Nov 25, 2003
    #6
  7. Naren <> spoke thus:

    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.
    > Do you agree with it?


    No. In an intellectual environment (such as comp.lang.c), there's no
    place for slangy shorthand, at least not if you want to sound
    intelligent and be taken seriously (IMHO).

    --
    Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
     
    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 25, 2003
    #7
  8. Joona I Palaste

    CBFalconer Guest

    *** rude top-posting corrected ***

    Naren wrote:
    > "Nils Petter Vaskinn" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:18:36 +0000, Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > >
    > > > Why is it that *every single* Indian C programmer I have seen
    > > > on this newsgroup writes "u" for "you"?

    > >
    > > Because when they don't you don't notice that they are from
    > > india.
    > >
    > > > Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but that
    > > > one mistake sticks out.

    > >
    > > Perhaps it's a miguided attempt at beeing 1337 ?
    > >
    > > Or perhaps that they're better at spoken english more than
    > > english (a significant amount of people learn most of their
    > > english from TV) and the fact that "u" and "you" sound the
    > > same leads to the mistake.

    >
    > Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from
    > westerners while we communicate with them.They most of the
    > times use "u" for "you","coz" for "because",and many more.


    Then you have been hanging out with an extremely low class and
    ignorant group of westerners. They seem to also have taught you
    to top-post and to omit blanks following periods and commas.

    >
    > I think this makes communication rather informal and it also
    > is stylish..:)
    >
    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.
    >
    > Do you agree with it?


    No. It makes communication awkward, hard, and often erroneous.

    --
    Chuck F () ()
    Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net> USE worldnet address!
     
    CBFalconer, Nov 25, 2003
    #8
  9. Joona I Palaste

    Chris Dollin Guest

    Naren wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
    > while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
    > "you","coz" for "because",and many more.


    Many westerners do not abbreviate like that. This one, for example.

    > I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is
    > stylish..:)


    Stylish, like yoghurt in the engine oil, doesn't have to mean "good".

    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.


    Not *here* it hasn't. No more so than thenadays.

    > Do you agree with it?


    Probably not.

    --
    Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
    C FAQs at: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.lang.c.html
    C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html
     
    Chris Dollin, Nov 25, 2003
    #9
  10. Joona I Palaste

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 25 Nov 2003 06:41:00 -0800,
    (Anupam) wrote:

    > When choosing between grammer and food the choice may not be too
    >difficult.


    I find it difficult to believe that anyone posting here must make that
    choice.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
     
    Alan Balmer, Nov 25, 2003
    #10
  11. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <bpvdqc$iv8$> Joona I Palaste <> writes:

    >I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    >single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    >for "you"?


    You must have a very selective vision. There are plenty of
    counterexamples, posted during the last 24 hours.

    >Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    >that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    >schools to teach mangled English or something?


    The abbreviation is particularly common among Americans, especially not
    the very educated ones. Non-native English speakers see it on the
    Internet and, not knowing any better, think that it's a cute/clever
    idea.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Email:
     
    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003
    #11
  12. Naren wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Not at all ,I would say that this slang we have learnt from westerners
    > while we communicate with them.They most of the times use "u" for
    > "you","coz" for "because",and many more.


    You need to serious rethink which "westerners" you choose to copy.
    Illiterates and warez-kinder are not a reasonable choice.

    >
    > I think this makes communication rather informal and it also is stylish..:)


    No, it is not informal or stylish. It marks the user as an idiot. There
    is nothing stylish about being a fool.

    > Of course nowadays it has become a trend to use these slangs.


    That something might be trendy does not make it right, stylish, informal,
    cool, or intelligent. It does not show independence of thought or
    rebellion at convention, but rather complete subservience to the stupidity
    of the day. It does mark the user with a "group identity," namely as being
    one of the brainless children.



    --
    Martin Ambuhl
     
    Martin Ambuhl, Nov 25, 2003
    #12
  13. Anupam wrote:

    > Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bpvdqc$iv8$>...
    >
    >>I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    >>single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    >>for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    >>that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    >>schools to teach mangled English or something?


    > People go to
    > great lengths to achieve it. Some of the people who do the posting may
    > have learnt from local language schools.. maybe that would be a valid
    > cause ... A good percentage of us learn it purely from the foreign
    > media.


    I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
    Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
    of some American suburbs?


    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite
    C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c /faq.html
    Other sites:
    http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book
     
    Thomas Matthews, Nov 25, 2003
    #13
  14. Joona I Palaste

    Default User Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    >
    > I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    > for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    > that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    > schools to teach mangled English or something?



    While annoying, I see plenty of good old 'Mericans doing the same thing.
    The one I wonder about is the frequent use of the word "doubt" to mean
    "question". Is this something being taught in English classes in India?
    It happens so frequently that I wonder.



    [crossed to AFT-S for newsfeed reasons]


    Brian Rodenborn
     
    Default User, Nov 25, 2003
    #14
  15. Joona I Palaste

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:36:52 GMT, Thomas Matthews
    <> wrote:

    >Anupam wrote:
    >
    >> Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bpvdqc$iv8$>...
    >>
    >>>I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    >>>single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    >>>for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    >>>that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    >>>schools to teach mangled English or something?

    >
    >> People go to
    >> great lengths to achieve it. Some of the people who do the posting may
    >> have learnt from local language schools.. maybe that would be a valid
    >> cause ... A good percentage of us learn it purely from the foreign
    >> media.

    >
    >I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
    >Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
    >of some American suburbs?


    "Learnt" is an acceptable past tense and past participle of "learn",
    as is "learned." The latter is much more common.

    When I grew up in the Pennsylvania countryside, "learn" as a synonym
    for "teach" was still in common use by folks of my grandfather's
    generation.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
     
    Alan Balmer, Nov 25, 2003
    #15
  16. Joona I Palaste

    Anupam Guest

    (Anupam) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Joona I Palaste <> wrote in message news:<bpvdqc$iv8$>...
    > > I've been wondering about this for too long. Why is it that *every
    > > single* Indian C programmer I have seen on this newsgroup writes "u"
    > > for "you"? Many manage otherwise perfectly grammatical English but
    > > that one mistake sticks out. Do they have a law in India forcing
    > > schools to teach mangled English or something?

    <snipped most of previous post>
    <OT>
    Also please have the decency to mention off-topic when it is so. And
    what you people are writing is potential high flame material. Dont
    think that your C knowledge gives you the right to make judgemental
    decisions about races and peoples as a whole. Rascism might be hip
    where you belong. But as flag bearers of the intellectual elite dont
    behave like a bunch of illiterates. I would have a lot to say about
    the hypocrisy of the so called developed (*financially*) nations as a
    whole if I wanted to do so but this is definitely not the right
    platform to do so. Remember the loads of times you have flamed people
    for being off topic and dont be cowards without the heart and the
    knowledge to say sorry when you know you are wrong.
    PS. At least the OP mentioned OT in his header(headers are not
    visible in all mail clients ,still...). Others seem to have lost all
    track of their self-made conventions.
    <\OT>
     
    Anupam, Nov 25, 2003
    #16
  17. Joona I Palaste

    Anuj Heer Guest

    i do agree with anupam. but he seems to have a very poor image of his
    country as a third world country. come on man be proud to be an
    indian. we do what we do because we are the best and programming is
    one feild where we are the trend setters. so who cannot bear with us
    and our whims can go to hell. i am sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but
    that's the way it is. we don't need extensive support structure to
    make us the best programmers in the world. we do it on our own without
    any outside help and mostly with outdated computers. but let me tell
    you my most out dated computer will outrun your fastest computer
    anyday. so just learn to live with it.
    anuj
     
    Anuj Heer, Nov 25, 2003
    #17
  18. Thomas Matthews <> spoke thus:

    > I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
    > Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
    > of some American suburbs?


    "Learnt" is perfectly acceptable, although its use is diminishing. It
    was good enough for E.M. Forster in his 1908 novella "The Machine
    Stops," in any case. I personally think it sounds more interesting
    and poetic, FWTW.

    --
    Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
     
    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 25, 2003
    #18
  19. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> Default User <> writes:

    >The one I wonder about is the frequent use of the word "doubt" to mean
    >"question". Is this something being taught in English classes in India?
    >It happens so frequently that I wonder.


    My theory is that this is a mistake induced by the native language of
    the poster, where the same word could be used for both.

    A typical, but non-obvious example is "eventually". When used by a
    non-native English speaker, it is very likely that it was not supposed
    to actually mean "eventually", but "probably" (as in most other European
    languages).

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Email:
     
    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003
    #19
  20. Joona I Palaste

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <UqMwb.30098$> Thomas Matthews <> writes:

    >I was taught that the past tense of "learn" is "learned" not "learnt".
    >Is "learnt" from the Queen's / King's english or from the lazy tongues
    >of some American suburbs?


    According to one of the most popular Web dictionaries, the former:

    Main Entry: learnt
    Pronunciation: 'l&rnt
    chiefly British past and past participle of LEARN

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Email:
     
    Dan Pop, Nov 25, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alex Varghese
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    433
  2. pallavi
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    579
  3. Alex Varghese
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    309
    Victor Bazarov
    Oct 10, 2003
  4. Alex Varghese
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    386
    Mike Wahler
    Oct 15, 2003
  5. sathyashrayan

    Indian C programmers [OT]

    sathyashrayan, Sep 10, 2003, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    621
Loading...

Share This Page