OT: Mozilla on Linux & Windoze

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Randell D., Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Randell D.

    Randell D. Guest

    Gentle People,

    Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
    dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to a
    Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?

    Why? / Long question:
    I develope using Dreamweaver MX on my WindozeXP laptop which I've
    configured with Apache, MySQL and PHP and Mozilla. My application, will
    have a Linux Mozilla front-end dependancy, also relies on javascript.

    My concern is that I might find that my javascript code, which works
    fine on my Mozilla Win32 environment, might not be the case on a Linux
    desktop. I continually check the Mozilla Javascript console and all my
    code, according to it, is error and warning free.

    Since Mozilla Win32 and Linux come from the same egg my guess is I
    should be fine - But I'm curious if others might have experienced
    otherwise...

    Note - I don't depend on Javascript to sanitize my data - I do that
    server side so please... don't bend my ear's on that subject as I have
    considered, and covered that in my planning.

    Anyone care to comment on the Javascript/Mozila Linux/Windoze compatability?

    thanks - please reply via the newsgroup so all can learn,
    randelld

    Randell D., Mar 14, 2005

  2. Randell D.

    Chris Hope Guest

    Randell D. wrote:

    > Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
    > dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to
    > a Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?
    >
    > Why? / Long question:
    > I develope using Dreamweaver MX on my WindozeXP laptop which I've
    > configured with Apache, MySQL and PHP and Mozilla. My application,
    > will have a Linux Mozilla front-end dependancy, also relies on
    > javascript.
    >
    > My concern is that I might find that my javascript code, which works
    > fine on my Mozilla Win32 environment, might not be the case on a Linux
    > desktop. I continually check the Mozilla Javascript console and all
    > my code, according to it, is error and warning free.
    >
    > Since Mozilla Win32 and Linux come from the same egg my guess is I
    > should be fine - But I'm curious if others might have experienced
    > otherwise...
    >
    > Note - I don't depend on Javascript to sanitize my data - I do that
    > server side so please... don't bend my ear's on that subject as I have
    > considered, and covered that in my planning.
    >
    > Anyone care to comment on the Javascript/Mozila Linux/Windoze
    > compatability?
    >
    > thanks - please reply via the newsgroup so all can learn,
    > randelld

    Since all the compiled versions come from the same codebase it seems
    unlikely there should be any issues with the way they parse Javascript.

    I've personally never found any problems between them (nor with Moz on
    the Mac), but then most of the Javascript I do is fairly basic and
    mainly to do with form pre processing or navigation. What sort of
    Javascript are you planning on doing that you think may cause cross
    platform problems?

    Chris Hope, Mar 14, 2005

  3. Randell D.

    Randell D. Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Randell D. wrote:
    >

    >>Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
    >>dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to
    >>a Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?
    >>
    >>Why? / Long question:
    >>I develope using Dreamweaver MX on my WindozeXP laptop which I've
    >>configured with Apache, MySQL and PHP and Mozilla. My application,
    >>will have a Linux Mozilla front-end dependancy, also relies on
    >>javascript.
    >>
    >>My concern is that I might find that my javascript code, which works
    >>fine on my Mozilla Win32 environment, might not be the case on a Linux
    >>desktop. I continually check the Mozilla Javascript console and all
    >>my code, according to it, is error and warning free.
    >>
    >>Since Mozilla Win32 and Linux come from the same egg my guess is I
    >>should be fine - But I'm curious if others might have experienced
    >>otherwise...
    >>
    >>Note - I don't depend on Javascript to sanitize my data - I do that
    >>server side so please... don't bend my ear's on that subject as I have
    >>considered, and covered that in my planning.
    >>
    >>Anyone care to comment on the Javascript/Mozila Linux/Windoze
    >>compatability?
    >>
    >>thanks - please reply via the newsgroup so all can learn,
    >>randelld

    > Since all the compiled versions come from the same codebase it seems
    > unlikely there should be any issues with the way they parse Javascript.
    >
    > I've personally never found any problems between them (nor with Moz on
    > the Mac), but then most of the Javascript I do is fairly basic and
    > mainly to do with form pre processing or navigation. What sort of
    > Javascript are you planning on doing that you think may cause cross
    > platform problems?

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply - My coding is probably the same as yourself - more
    form pre-processing than anything else - I don't expect issues, but its
    something I should have at least considered earlier... I've put alot of
    planning in to my project but its inevitable that no matter how much
    one plans, there are always area's that have not been considered which
    have the possibility of putting a spanner in the works.

    My guess is - I should be safe - I'll keep an eye on this post over the
    next 24hours or so in case someone might know of some problem neither of
    us have yet seen.

    Cheers
    Randell D.

    Randell D., Mar 15, 2005
  4. Randell D.

    mike Guest

    "Randell D." <> wrote in message news:<k4pZd.678301$Xk.391622@pd7tw3no>...
    > Gentle People,
    >
    > Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
    > dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to a
    > Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?

    FWIW I've never been tripped up by differences between Mozilla Windows
    and Mozilla on Linux. I've seen the same CSS bug in I think it was
    1.7.3 on both Windows and Linux versions though.

    You could try something like this http://www.colinux.org/ and try
    running Mozilla for Linux under Windows. :)

    mike

    mike, Mar 15, 2005
  5. Randell D.

    Chung Leong Guest

    Re: Mozilla on Linux & Windoze

    "Randell D." <> wrote in message

    > Gentle People,
    >
    > Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
    > dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to a
    > Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?
    >
    > Why? / Long question:
    > I develope using Dreamweaver MX on my WindozeXP laptop which I've
    > configured with Apache, MySQL and PHP and Mozilla. My application, will
    > have a Linux Mozilla front-end dependancy, also relies on javascript.
    >
    > My concern is that I might find that my javascript code, which works
    > fine on my Mozilla Win32 environment, might not be the case on a Linux
    > desktop. I continually check the Mozilla Javascript console and all my
    > code, according to it, is error and warning free.
    >
    > Since Mozilla Win32 and Linux come from the same egg my guess is I
    > should be fine - But I'm curious if others might have experienced
    > otherwise...
    >
    > Note - I don't depend on Javascript to sanitize my data - I do that
    > server side so please... don't bend my ear's on that subject as I have
    > considered, and covered that in my planning.
    >
    > Anyone care to comment on the Javascript/Mozila Linux/Windoze

    compatability?

    I use Javascript fairly heavily in my application and haven't notice
    much--if any--difference between Linux and Windows behavior-wise. Or for
    that Solaris and Mac OSX. DHTML animation and such are smoother on Windows
    and font rendering is usally better, but that has more to do with the OS
    graphical sub-system.

    More problematic are the little differences between versions of the
    Gecko-based browsers. Today I spent an hour fixing an issue that only
    affects Netscape 7.0--not 6.2, not 7.1, not Firefox.

    Chung Leong, Mar 16, 2005