OT: Mozilla on Linux & Windoze

Randell D.

Gentle People,

Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to a
Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?

Why? / Long question:
I develope using Dreamweaver MX on my WindozeXP laptop which I've
configured with Apache, MySQL and PHP and Mozilla. My application, will
have a Linux Mozilla front-end dependancy, also relies on javascript.

My concern is that I might find that my javascript code, which works
fine on my Mozilla Win32 environment, might not be the case on a Linux
desktop. I continually check the Mozilla Javascript console and all my
code, according to it, is error and warning free.

Since Mozilla Win32 and Linux come from the same egg my guess is I
should be fine - But I'm curious if others might have experienced
otherwise...

Note - I don't depend on Javascript to sanitize my data - I do that
server side so please... don't bend my ear's on that subject as I have
considered, and covered that in my planning.

Anyone care to comment on the Javascript/Mozila Linux/Windoze compatability?

thanks - please reply via the newsgroup so all can learn,
randelld

Chris Hope

Randell said:
[...]

Since all the compiled versions come from the same codebase it seems
unlikely there should be any issues with the way they parse Javascript.

I've personally never found any problems between them (nor with Moz on
the Mac), but then most of the Javascript I do is fairly basic and
mainly to do with form pre processing or navigation. What sort of
Javascript are you planning on doing that you think may cause cross
platform problems?

Randell D.

Chris said:
Randell D. wrote:

Since all the compiled versions come from the same codebase it seems
unlikely there should be any issues with the way they parse Javascript.

I've personally never found any problems between them (nor with Moz on
the Mac), but then most of the Javascript I do is fairly basic and
mainly to do with form pre processing or navigation. What sort of
Javascript are you planning on doing that you think may cause cross
platform problems?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - My coding is probably the same as yourself - more
form pre-processing than anything else - I don't expect issues, but its
something I should have at least considered earlier... I've put alot of
planning in to my project but its inevitable that no matter how much
one plans, there are always area's that have not been considered which
have the possibility of putting a spanner in the works.

My guess is - I should be safe - I'll keep an eye on this post over the
next 24hours or so in case someone might know of some problem neither of
us have yet seen.

Cheers
Randell D.

mike

Randell D. said:
Gentle People,

Short Question: Has anybody found any difference with Javascript
dependancy on a Mozilla browser on a windoze desktop when compared to a
Mozilla browser on a Linux desktop?

FWIW I've never been tripped up by differences between Mozilla Windows
and Mozilla on Linux. I've seen the same CSS bug in I think it was
1.7.3 on both Windows and Linux versions though.

You could try something like this http://www.colinux.org/ and try
running Mozilla for Linux under Windows. :)

mike

Chung Leong

Randell D. said:
[...]

I use Javascript fairly heavily in my application and haven't notice
much--if any--difference between Linux and Windows behavior-wise. Or for
that Solaris and Mac OSX. DHTML animation and such are smoother on Windows
and font rendering is usally better, but that has more to do with the OS
graphical sub-system.

More problematic are the little differences between versions of the
Gecko-based browsers. Today I spent an hour fixing an issue that only
affects Netscape 7.0--not 6.2, not 7.1, not Firefox.