OT: Selling lots of C++ books cheap

Discussion in 'C++' started by Mike T, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Mike T

    Mike T Guest

    Mike T, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Mike T

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT] Selling lots of C++ books cheap

    "Mike T" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am moving. I am selling all my computer books;

    You have indicated that you know your message is
    off topic here, by your insertion of [OT] in your
    message subject. Acknowledgment of lack of topicality
    does not somehow make it appropriate to post your
    solicitation here.

    You can expect to have your message treated just
    as any other spam message here, either ignored, or more
    likely, the target of flames.

    There are many newsgroups dedicated to buying, selling,
    trading, etc. of any and all types of merchandise.
    This is not one of them.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Mike T

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Mike Wahler wrote:
    > "Mike T" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am moving. I am selling all my computer books;

    > You can expect to have your message treated just
    > as any other spam message here, either ignored, or more
    > likely, the target of flames.

    IMHO you are overreacting in this case. This is one of those few times
    when a heads up is appropriate. The OP is not "spamming", he is saying
    that he has a few books that someone may get away with pretty cheap.
    Many of the books he is listing are crap, but some are rather
    interesting and could be useful to someone here.

    NR
    Noah Roberts, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Mike T

    WW Guest

    Noah Roberts wrote:
    >> You can expect to have your message treated just
    >> as any other spam message here, either ignored, or more
    >> likely, the target of flames.

    > IMHO you are overreacting in this case. This is one of those few
    > times when a heads up is appropriate. The OP is not "spamming", he
    > is saying that he has a few books that someone may get away with
    > pretty cheap. Many of the books he is listing are crap, but some are
    > rather interesting and could be useful to someone here.

    ADs are off-topic here. If someone is looking for books that someone will
    be already searching on eBay. The reason there is no for.sale in the name
    of this newsgroup is because it is not for advertisements. Be it job,
    books, political etc. Product announcements are a big exception, if done
    with sense and once.

    --
    WW aka Attila
    WW, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Mike T

    John Carson Guest

    "Noah Roberts" <> wrote in message

    > IMHO you are overreacting in this case. This is one of those few
    > times when a heads up is appropriate. The OP is not "spamming", he
    > is saying that he has a few books that someone may get away with
    > pretty cheap. Many of the books he is listing are crap, but some are
    > rather interesting and could be useful to someone here.
    >
    > NR

    What utter rubbish. Unsolicited advertising is the very essence of spam. Get
    a dictionary.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Mike T

    Jack Klein Guest

    Re: [OT] Selling lots of C++ books cheap

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:27:15 -0700, Noah Roberts
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > Mike Wahler wrote:
    > > "Mike T" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I am moving. I am selling all my computer books;

    > > You can expect to have your message treated just
    > > as any other spam message here, either ignored, or more
    > > likely, the target of flames.

    > IMHO you are overreacting in this case. This is one of those few times
    > when a heads up is appropriate. The OP is not "spamming", he is saying
    > that he has a few books that someone may get away with pretty cheap.
    > Many of the books he is listing are crap, but some are rather
    > interesting and could be useful to someone here.
    >
    > NR

    I suppose then that you would consider it acceptable if he posted
    advertisements for low cost home mortgages or products for enlarging a
    certain portion of the male anatomy? After all, someone here might be
    interested in such things as well.

    Get a clue. Spam is spam, and this most certainly is spam.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Re: [OT] Selling lots of C++ books cheap

    "Jack Klein" <> wrote in message
    > [...]
    > I suppose then that you would consider it acceptable if he
    > posted advertisements for low cost home mortgages or
    > products for enlarging a certain portion of the male anatomy?
    > After all, someone here might be interested in such things
    > as well.
    >
    > Get a clue. Spam is spam, and this most certainly is spam.

    Considering how often people come here asking for books
    on C++ or programming, I don't see how those are comparable
    to the original post. It's spam, but it's possibly good spam.

    Dave

    ---
    David B. Held, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Mike T

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Jack Klein wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 23:27:15 -0700, Noah Roberts
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
    >

    >>Mike Wahler wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Mike T" <> wrote in message

    > I suppose then that you would consider it acceptable if he posted
    > advertisements for low cost home mortgages or products for enlarging a
    > certain portion of the male anatomy?

    This isn't alt.small.prick or any newsgroup related to any of the other
    subjects you mentioned. This is not a proffesional mass emailer trying
    to push his sleaze. IMHO there is a difference.

    NR
    Noah Roberts, Oct 6, 2003