Our postbacks died in IE? Work fine in Firefox!?

darrel

We've had to move one of our asp.net web applications to a new internal
server.

The move worked, except that our SUBMIT buttons on all the pages no longer
trigger a postback in Internet Explorer 6. The pages work just fine in
Firefox, though.

Any idea as to what's going on? Was there some weird Windows update for IE6
that was snuck out this week? I'm not even sure where to look to begin
figuring out this problem.

-Darrel

darrel

The move worked, except that our SUBMIT buttons on all the pages no
longer trigger a postback in Internet Explorer 6. The pages work just fine
in Firefox, though.

Here's the HTML that gets rendered to screen:

<form name="Form1" method="post" action="agents_edit.aspx?agent=new"
language="javascript" onsubmit="if (!ValidatorOnSubmit()) return false;"
id="Form1">
<input type="submit" name="button_savenew" value="Save New Agent"
onclick="if (typeof(Page_ClientValidate) == 'function')
Page_ClientValidate(); " language="javascript" id="button_savenew" />

-Darrel

Przemek Ptasznik

darrel napisa³(a):
Here's the HTML that gets rendered to screen:

<form name="Form1" method="post" action="agents_edit.aspx?agent=new"
language="javascript" onsubmit="if (!ValidatorOnSubmit()) return false;"
id="Form1">

There is no "language" attribute in form element neither in input
element in html! But this isn't cause of problem.
IMHO problem is in ValidatorOnSubmit function. It's probably poor
quality and only works in IE, so in FF it isn't preventing form from
submit. Check if your input is valid (in terms of your validating function).

darrel

There is no "language" attribute in form element neither in input element

Tell that to VS.net 2003. ;o)
..
IMHO problem is in ValidatorOnSubmit function. It's probably poor quality
and only works in IE, so in FF it isn't preventing form from submit.

There is client-side validation. I turned it off on all the validation
controls, but same issue.

Plus, the client-side stuff was working before for some reason.

Anyways, I found how to 'fix' it by telling the asp:button to NOT cause
validation. Then it works fine in IE. Of course, now the page doesn't
validate. Ugh. ;o)

-Darrel

darrel

compare the "view source" from the two browser's, and see what's
different.

They're exactly the same. So it is likely the IE client side validation
that's failing. Which is odd. Why would it fail just because we moved to a
new server?

-Darrel

Jon Paal

are you using asp.net 1.1 or 2.0 ?

1.1 has all sorts of validation problems in cross browser environments.

using 2.0 usually solves the matter.

darrel

1.1 has all sorts of validation problems in cross browser environments.

Yea. I know. ;o)

Ok, went back, did a complete recompile, and it seems to be OK now as long
as I don't use any client-side validation. I usually try to avoid doing that
anyways, so not a huge deal.
using 2.0 usually solves the matter.

Good ol' MS. Always takes a few revisions before they get things working.
;o)

-Darrel