Outstandingly excellent javascript drag-and-drop tutorial withworking code

pete

On Jun 28, 4:25 am, pete <[email protected]> wrote:

First of all, thank you so much, RobG, for your deep insights and your
thorough answers, and especially the references. I'll study this very
helpful stuff this morning and I'll hope to be a better JS programmer
by lunchtime. This is great!
look ma, no globals.

And all this time I thought we'd have to wait for Intel's new iESP
chipset :)
The code has basic drag functionality, but no "drop" functionality as
would be expected by a javascript developer looking for a drag-n-
*drop* tutorial.

Drop is kind of buried. It's realized in the OnMouseUp(e) event-
handler function in the linked article:

http://luke.breuer.com/tutorial/javascript-drag-and-drop-tutorial.aspx

about two-thirds of the way down, just before the heading "Utility
Functions."
Likely the author learned a lot in writing the article, but his education
is not complete (and likely never will be in regard to javascript).

Sorry, I don't quite get this. Are you telling the plight of many/most
JS programmers?

Thanks again, RobG. Very helpful.

-- pete

Where is the notification to other elements that a

[...]

  -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <[email protected]>

Prototype.js comes in for a lot of scorn these days, maybe with good
reason. I've no idea about Prototype because posts in this group and
elsewhere have warned me off it.

I hope you'll stop harping on this issue. The author picked up /one/
idea from Prototype.js and used it. It's hard to believe that there
are /no/ good ideas in all of Prototype. Snide, wise-ass, cocktail-
party comments don't really further this discussion, imo.

But it's pretty funny, all the same :)

Thanks, PE.

-- pete

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

pete said:
Thomas said:
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <[email protected]>

Prototype.js comes in for a lot of scorn these days, maybe with good
reason. I've no idea about Prototype because posts in this group and
elsewhere have warned me off it.

I hope you'll stop harping on this issue. [...]

You do know what a signature is, don't you? Rest assured I'll keep it at
least as long as what I quote there remains true.

PointedEars, murmuring "it must be the heat ..."

Garrett Smith

Garrett said:
Garrett Smith wrote:
Aside from the typo that Stephen Weiss caught (thanks), did I post
something wrong? Seems not.

Stands. [snip whining]

That is not what I wrote, though it appears in a quote by me.
There have been other followups from me in this thread. Go read them.

I read your posts, I'll get to correcting those as I see fit. Perhaps
there are others who are more worth it.

I see you snipped your reply about the comment for appendChild (along
with your other bs).

By the way, you may have noticed proposals (yep, more than one) to add
an entry to the FAQ regarding your behavior. you might or might not see
a relationship between that and you posting irrational and wrong
information and calling names.

I'm not the only one who is annoyed by such postings of yours. They
detract from the NG. Frankly I find it would be a stain to the FAQ.
however, I can see the motivation for such things.

Garrett

RobG

Drop is kind of buried. It's realized in the OnMouseUp(e) event-
handler function in the linked article:

That function is more of a "dragging has stopped" function, it doesn't
provide any hooks to allow a user (developer) to do thinks like add
functions to call when dragging has stopped or identify if the dragged
element has been dropped over a drop target, and so on.

[...]
Sorry, I don't quite get this. Are you telling the plight of many/most
JS programmers?

I'm not sure I'd call it a plight, more a condition. Javascript is a
constantly moving target, even if the underlying language and public
specifications like the W3C DOM stuff stood still, there are new
browsers coming out all the time with bigger, better, faster
implementations.

So it is the plight of anyone interested in writing javascript if
their objective is anything other than short term support for a small
number of current browsers.

Writing an article requires the author to study aspects of the topic
that they hadn't thought of before (often because of "dumb" questions
by novice readers - the kind that quickly expose the depth of the
authors knowledge), or thought they knew thoroughly but realised they
didn't. The process of researching and writing a lucid article is a
great learning experience and I suspect a reason why written
assignments are highly regarded as a teaching tool.

It is probably also one reason why blogs are so popular - the authors
benefit as much as, or more than, the readers.

pete

--
    realism:    HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Congratulations! You managed to reply to a post that I deleted about
20 secs after I sent it. It's not realistic or polite to quote a post
that existed for a moment and then disappeared, imo.
You do know what a signature is, don't you?

What?!!? Do you mean to disavow stuff just because it's in your sig?
Rest assured I'll keep it at least as long as what I quote there remains true.

Oh, I see. You embrace it at your convenience :)

-- pete

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

pete said:
Thomas said:
pete said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
[Prototype.js sig quoting Richard Cornford]

You do know what a signature is, don't you? Rest assured I'll keep it at
least as long as what I quote there remains true.

PointedEars, murmuring "it must be the heat ..."
[...]

Congratulations! You managed to reply to a post that I deleted about
20 secs after I sent it. It's not realistic or polite to quote a post
that existed for a moment and then disappeared, imo.
[More Googlodyte whining]

Deletion on Google Groups does not affect Usenet, and AFAICS you have not
cancelled your message. Therefore, if you cannot send `Control: Cancel', it
is best to followup with a correction. Likewise, if you send `Control:
Cancel' or `Supersedes' using a newsreader, it might be a good idea to
delete the old posting on Google Groups, too.¹

I am not responsible for your mistakes or your lack of education. Get
yourself informed where you are posting to and what customs apply there,
unless you want to be written off as a luser. You have been warned.

HTH

PointedEars
___________
¹ I am trying to do that for the time being; how long anymore depends on to
what extent overall Google Groups quality will descrease; they have now
started to not even get MIME encodings right anymore; I am beginning to
yearn for ye olde Dejanews. Getting old, I know.

pete

That function is more of a "dragging has stopped" function, it doesn't
provide any hooks to allow a user (developer) to do thinks like add
functions to call when dragging has stopped or identify if the dragged
element has been dropped over a drop target, and so on.

Very true. As the author tells us:

"This example only scratches the surface of drag and drop. [snip]
Moreover, one often wants to drag from one place to another, instead
of just randomly. [snip] Simplicity first!

!!

"Determining what elements one is dragging over is tricky, because the
onmouseover event does not fire if the cursor is over the element
being dragged."

The author did as he said he would, imo: "Drag and drop is a topic
that can be explored to great lengths somewhere else; all you need to
know about it here is that you left-click-and-hold on one 'draggable
element', and then move your mouse with the left button down: the
element you clicked on follows your mouse." He then goes on to
implement those three functions.

I hope I'm wrong, but it /sounds/ like you are criticizing the article
because it doesn't treat stuff outside its stated scope, sort of like
criticizing an algebra I book because it ignores calculus. Maybe you
mean only to suggest that one needs a lot more study to fully
understand d-n-d, as I think, too. The author agrees: "This example
only scratches the surface of drag and drop...."

For me, who wanted to get drag-and-drop, however rudimentary, working
on his web page, the article was right on. I can wait to perfect it
later.

Anyway. I appreciate the issues you raise, which all deserve study and
a lot of thought.
I'm not sure I'd call it a plight, more a condition. Javascript is a
constantly moving target, even if the underlying language and public
specifications like the W3C DOM stuff stood still, there are new
browsers coming out all the time with bigger, better, faster
implementations.

Yes, yes, good! I thought you meant just that. It's a fascinating
topic, this business of never being quite caught up, of always having
some finite further distance to travel/learn, because the goal is
always receding: the DOM will never stand still; browsers will always
improve; Achilles will never catch the tortoise.
So it is the plight of anyone interested in writing javascript if
their objective is anything other than short term support for a small
number of current browsers.

Yeah, but that /must/ be the objective for a developer who wants to
get paid, right? The backstop is that today's javascript code will
'always' work (we trust). Even if advances make it obsolete,
deprecated, dumb, despisèd and rejectèd, whatever.
Writing an article requires the author to study aspects of the topic
that they hadn't thought of before (often because of "dumb" questions
by novice readers - the kind that quickly expose the depth of the
authors knowledge),

Aagghhh! Please! Don't remind me :)
or thought they knew thoroughly but realised they
didn't. The process of researching and writing a lucid article is a
great learning experience and I suspect a reason why written
assignments are highly regarded as a teaching tool.

Absolutely! We never know what we don't know. Also the reason that we
gotta' code to learn to code.
It is probably also one reason why blogs are so popular - the authors
benefit as much as, or more than, the readers.

For sure, and blogs are popular with me partly because I can have the
pleasure of pontificating with relatively few of the consequences I
can expect in, say, my kitchen :)

-- pete