Overlap Applet with other html element (Slightly OT)

Dag Sunde

Is there any way to make a <div> section
overlap the (windowed) content of a java Applet?

I'm asking this, because JavaScript menus usually
ends up beneath Applet windows...

rf

Dag Sunde said:
Absolutely no way?
Not if I beg, swear & cry?
No dirty tricks?

In general no.

The applet lives in a child window of the browsers client window (what you
consider the viewport). This child window lives in front of its parent and
so is immune from anything happening in its parent, in particular it can
not be overdrawn by anything the parent draws (unless the parent switches
off clip clildren which browsers do not). This is how Windows[tm] works.
Not even if I limit myself to IE 6.0 UA's?

Ah, then you would be better off asking in a Micorsoft specific group.

Martin Honnen

Dag said:
Is there any way to make a <div> section
overlap the (windowed) content of a java Applet?

I'm asking this, because JavaScript menus usually
ends up beneath Applet windows...

Depending on the browser it might work or might not work to put the div
in an iframe and apply CSS z-index and positioning to both the iframe
and the applet so that the iframe sits on top of the applet.

IE 5.5/6 on Windows allow you to create chrome less popup windows where
the content is defined by HTML, I think these would sit on top of
applets but haven't tested.
Docs are here:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/popup.asp>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/om/popup_overview.asp>