Page Directive & Dreamweaver??

Adam Knight

Hi all,

I am using a dreamweaver template for a web app i am working on.

Each time i update the template my page directives at the top of the
associated pages gets removed.

Anyone had problems with this?
Know how to fix?
Fill me in on what is going on?

Cheers,
Adam

Nathan Sokalski

First of all, you should NEVER use any editor not intended for ASP.NET to
edit .aspx files. Editors such as Dreamweaver are HTML editors and do not
know what the directives do, and because they are wysiwyg (visual) editors,
they will usually recreate all the code each time, or at least remove parts
of the code that they do not know what mean. My suggestion is to do one of
the following:

Avoid editors other than the one you use to create your ASP.NET application
(probably Visual Studio .NET)

OR

If you really want to use a graphical HTML editor, create a separate page
using whatever editor you like, and then copy and paste the desired sections
from that code into your .aspx file.

My personal opinion of most graphical HTML editors (including Dreamweaver),
however, is that they are not very good. They often create inefficient and
sometimes unnecessary code. In order to make them create code that is good
enough to be worth using you often need to put in so much effort that it
would be quicker to write it by hand. But even more important, why are you
trying to edit your file in another editor anyway? Only ASP.NET editors will
be able to recognize your webcontrols, so unless you plan on using all HTML
controls in your code, a graphical HTML editor won't be much help. And if
you do plan on using only HTML controls, why are you making it in ASP.NET to
begin with?

Christopher Reed

Let me respond to say that DreamWeaver supports the development of
non-code-behind ASPX pages, so your premise that DreamWeaver is not intended
for ASP.NET is incorrect. Just because Microsoft didn't produce the tool
doesn't mean that you cannot use for ASP.NET development.

Nathan Sokalski

Sorry, my bad. But it will still cause problems for most people developing
in ASP.NET if they use Visual Studio at all if it can't support codebehind
files, since that is what Visual Studio uses by default. But I never tried
to imply that only Microsoft's ASP.NET software works, it may be my
preference, but I am willing to believe that there are other good ASP.NET
editors out there. But I have seen the HTML output of Dreamweaver, and when
I edited it by hand, I got it to look exactly the same in about half as much
code.

Christopher Reed

I agree. While DreamWeaver provides some advantages to those who cannot
afford higher priced tools for not only HTML, ASP.NET, PHP, classic ASP,
etc., it has some disadvantages in how it reformats the code when you mess
around with the designer. Then again, before VS 2005, even VS did that too.
Additionally, I agree with you regarding the code-behind disadvantages; then
again, WebMatrix has the similar issues from that perspective.

Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dreamweaver with VS2005

Hi,

I am developing a ASP.NET application in VS2005 using C#. I intend to get a designer to do the UI layout (as they are better at coming up with nicer graphics and layout).

My action plan is to first create all the necessary files (.aspx and .cs) in VS2005. Then the designer can simply edit the .aspx files independently. Is there any issue with this? Or is there a better way to coordinate the work between a developer using VS2005 and a web designer using Dreamweaver

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks