    text or code.

    What can I do?

    Thanks.
    Rishi Boparai, May 5, 2008

  2. Rishi Boparai

    Stan Guest

    On 5 May, 08:27, Rishi Boparai <> wrote:
    > I'm using Dreamweaver to create the layout and manage my ASP.net 2
    > site. However, all ""code-behind"" is done in Visual Studio 2005
    >
    > On my ASP.net pages I need to have a different declaration at the top
    > of each page, e.g.:
    >
    > It was my understanding that Dreamweaver would leave alone any code
    > outside of the < html > tag However, whenever I update my template,
    > the ASP.net declarations in the pages based on the template are
    > removed by Dreamweaver. This means my pages lose the ""link"" to their
    > code-behind files. Which is BAD!
    >
    > The weird thing is, that if I remove for example the ""@"" from the
    > declaration (therefore making it an incorrect declaration) then DW
    > leaves the code on the page. What this means is that DW only has
    > problems with ASP.net declarations. Its quite happy to leave any other
    > text or code.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Dear Rishi

    I too have tried in the past to use DW in conjunction with VS. I had
    similar problems and in the end relented and now work exclusively in
    VS. They don't live happily together. DW is designed to be a site
    manager or to be used in collaboration with others using the same
    tool.

    DW does have its own way of handling ASP.NET and provides basic
    support, essentially for page development in script mode. As you've
    probably noticed it is not as sophisiticated as VS for code editing
    which I assume is why you are doing your code behind files in VS. It's
    a pity really because VS not as good as DW when it comes to visual
    (design mode) editing of the .aspx file, though I've found it does
    help if you turn on the visual aides in VS so you can see the layout
    tags.

    However, since version 2 of ASP.NET and the introduction of Master
    pages I wouldn't go back to DW templates. By comparison DW templates
    are a weaker method of maintaining common layouts. Any changes to a DW
    template and you have to re-upload all pages that use them, whereas
    with master pages any changes are reflected immediately in content
    pages without having to touch them.

    There is also the question of themes in ASP.NET I only have version
    2004 of DW which is too old to have any support whatever for themes. I
    don't know about later versions. Having said that Fireworks is great
    for images. I still use it. VS has no equivalent.

    On a more general note, my advice to anyone using either of those
    tools is learn HTML thoroughly - especially CSS styles. Don't just
    rely on visual editors to do everything for you. It's surprising what
    layout, appearance and other problems you can fix by knowing exactly
    how it all works. Visual editors seem to make a lot of mistakes when
    you try to make changes and refinements - sometimes they refuse let
    you do things at all!

    HTH
    Stan, May 5, 2008