Page not found when running ASP.Net web application

HvLa

I've just installed Visual Web developer 2008 and tried to run my first
ASP.net web site. When I run it on my Vista Business PC I got an error
"Page can not be displayed". What should I check to get an ASP.Net
application running. I'm familiar with classic ASP programming not with
ASP.Net. Classic ASP applications are running fine on the same PC.

Juan T. Llibre

First thing to check for is whether the account ASP.NET
is running as has ACL permissions to the application directory.

In Vista, ASP.NET on IIS runs, by default, as the Network Authority account.

Make sure that account has at least read permissions to the app dir.

If you need to write to the directory, or update an Access database,
add write permissions to the appropiate directories, too.

If you're using VWD's Development Server,
it will run as the MachineName\Administrator account.

Make sure *that* account has access permissions.

HvLa

I don't seem to have a ASPNET account! Any ideas how this is possible
and how to correct this.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>I don't seem to have a ASPNET account!

Of course you don't. You are running Vista.
ASPNET was the default account in IIS 5.1, in Windows XP.

In Vista, which runs IIS 7.0, the default IIS account is Network Service.
If you are using IIS, that's the account which needs permissions.

Since apparently you're not running IIS, but VWD's Development Server,
ASP.NET will run as the MachineName\Administrator account.

Make sure *that* account has access permissions.

re:
!>Any ideas how this is possible and how to correct this.

There's nothing to correct.
Just give the right account the permissions outlined in my previous post.

HvLa

How do you give the Network Service the right permissions?

I also noticed that the asp.net websites aren't listed in the IIS
management console, whereas the classic asp web apps do. Shouldn't
these asp.net apps show up also?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> How do you give the Network Service the right permissions?

You need to open the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog for the directory.
Search Vista's help for "Advanced Security Settings".

There's a good rundown, background info and images here :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc138011.aspx

re:
!> I also noticed that the asp.net websites aren't listed in the IIS
!> management console, whereas the classic asp web apps do

Did you install ASP.NET ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964620(VS.80).aspx

Did you *enable* ASP.NET ?

http://intersoftpt.wordpress.com/2006/11/25/enabling-aspnet-20-in-vista-rtm/

Scott Guthrie has a very good rundown here :

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch...k_3A00_-Using-IIS7-on-Vista-with-VS-2005.aspx