Page use by one user at a time.

Rich

I need a bit of advice:

One asp.net page allows user #1 to generate a file and download that
file.

At the same time, user #2 is attempting the same thing.

User #2 needs to be locked out until user #1 has completed downloading
the generated file.

Downloading the file is an asynchronous operation so my solution of
using Sql Server to lock out user #2 won't work.

Is there another way to make this possible (or is there a way to make
file download synchronous)?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some pointers.

Rich

Javier G. Lozano

I need a bit of advice:

One asp.net page allows user #1 to generate a file and download that
file.

At the same time, user #2 is attempting the same thing.

User #2 needs to be locked out until user #1 has completed downloading
the generated file.

Downloading the file is an asynchronous operation so my solution of
using Sql Server to lock out user #2 won't work.

Is there another way to make this possible (or is there a way to make
file download synchronous)?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some pointers.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Let me see if I understand your question. You want block any
concurrent user from generating and downloading the file? Why would
you want to do that? (Just curious). The more I understand about your
problem, the easier it is to try to help.

Thanks!

- Javier
ASP.NET MVP

Rich

Hi Rich,

Let me see if I understand your question. You want block any
concurrent user from generating and downloading the file? Why would
you want to do that? (Just curious). The more I understand about your
problem, the easier it is to try to help.

Thanks!

- Javier
ASP.NET MVP- Hide quoted text -

Javier,

Eg: user #1 generates a file and subsequently downloads same file.
User #2 generates the same file again, causing the contents of the
file to be different from the one user #1 generated. So when user #1
downloads the file, it's not the same file.
Does that help?

Rich