    tell where the missing 'end' is is a nightmare lol.

    Of course a working ruby code indenter might help with that but I havent
    found one of those that works either.

    Slain Wilde, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Slain Wilde wrote:
    > Does anyone have any techniques or tools that they use to help narrow
    > these down in the code at all?
    >
    > I mean the current method of scanning/folding the code to see if I can
    > tell where the missing 'end' is is a nightmare lol.

    using an editor with colorizing is a big help. Some use vim with the
    ruby syntax
    addition.
    The missing 'end' problem, when it is not obvious, is usually traceable
    to a
    missing ", ', or a bracket not present, or misplaced {} {] (). With
    vim, it is
    easy in command mode to place the cursor on the one bracket, and press
    "%" to identify its match.

    Quite some time ago, there was one mentioned on ruby-lang.org, but I
    could not
    find it when looked. There is the beginning of a class PrettyPrint in
    current cvs ruby
    stable (1.9). I think this is for use within declared classes, and is
    not quite what I
    think you are looking for. It is not real obvious how to use that
    class.

    regards,
    Gerald

    Gerald Murray, Aug 9, 2006