Password Field

James

Have a textbox that's in Password mode on a user creation page. Have
several dropdowns that cause a PostBack out of necessity on this page. I
cannot separate them. When one of these dropdowns changes, the textbox's
value is lost. How do I prevent this?

Thanks

Bruce Barker

the best way would be to remember it from the original postback, so it only
passes over the network once. otherwise you can use a hack, and set the
control's "value" attribute.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Marina

You have to do it on the client side using javascript.

Losing the value of a password field is pretty standard. If the password
field is the last one on your page, it should in theory be the last field a
user fills in, so it geting emptied shouldn't really happen.

James

Can I? I've tried setting it in my Page Load event and it doesn't seem to
persist. I've also tried using a client side control with runat=server.
None of the above seem to want to let me set the value.

James

JavaScript doesn't seem to work either. It isn't the last field they will
enter, and even if it were, there's no way they'd go for that =/.

Marina

I know for a fact that if you set the value on an input control that is a
password type in javascript, that it does get set correctly. Maybe you need
to post your code then.

I bet your users will like the fact that their password is being sent in
clear text in the browser even less then having to retype their password,
since that is the only way to preserve it in between posts. I would
recommend either accepting that passwords will be blank between posts (this
happens pretty much in every other registration system), re-organize your
registration in such a way that the password gets its own page and it is the
last page in the registration process, or code using the javascript solution
and have the password be sent in clear text - which should be the last
resort.

James

Thanks for the help, this seems to work on Postback:

tbPassword.Attributes("value") = tbPassword.Text