    port should be found. Can anyone help me?

    Regards
    Chris
    Christian Marko, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Christian Marko

    JScoobyCed Guest

    Christian Marko wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Does anyone have experiences with the COMM API and the usage of the
    > PCMCIA port? With the COMM API the PCMCIA ports should also be found,
    > or not?
    >
    > I have a PCMCIA port on my notebook, but this port won't be found, by
    > the appropriate class of the COMM API. As i read in other posts, the
    > port should be found. Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Regards
    > Chris

    I would hardly believe the PCMCIA port could be found by the COMM API:
    "The Java Communications API contains support for RS232 serial ports and
    IEEE 1284 parallel ports" (http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/index.jsp)

    --
    JScoobyCed
    What about a JScooby snack Shaggy ? ... Shaggy ?!
    JScoobyCed, Aug 25, 2004

  3. JScoobyCed <> wrote in message news:<412c6288$0$14164$>...
    > Christian Marko wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Does anyone have experiences with the COMM API and the usage of the
    > > PCMCIA port? With the COMM API the PCMCIA ports should also be found,
    > > or not?
    > >
    > > I have a PCMCIA port on my notebook, but this port won't be found, by
    > > the appropriate class of the COMM API. As i read in other posts, the
    > > port should be found. Can anyone help me?
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Chris

    > I would hardly believe the PCMCIA port could be found by the COMM API:
    > "The Java Communications API contains support for RS232 serial ports and
    > IEEE 1284 parallel ports" (http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/index.jsp)

    OK, but i use a RS-232 serial PCMCIA card, where to the PCMCIA card 4
    RS-232 ports are connected. These ports are seen by the OS (Win98,
    W2K, WinXP) and listed as COM ports, but not by the COMM API.

    Does you or anyone else know any alternative to the COMM API?
    Christian Marko, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Christian Marko

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Christian Marko wrote:

    > JScoobyCed <> wrote in message
    >> Christian Marko wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi!
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone have experiences with the COMM API and the usage of the
    >> > PCMCIA port? With the COMM API the PCMCIA ports should also be found,
    >> > or not?
    >> >
    >> > I have a PCMCIA port on my notebook, but this port won't be found, by
    >> > the appropriate class of the COMM API. As i read in other posts, the
    >> > port should be found. Can anyone help me?
    >> >
    >> > Regards
    >> > Chris

    >> I would hardly believe the PCMCIA port could be found by the COMM API:
    >> "The Java Communications API contains support for RS232 serial ports and
    >> IEEE 1284 parallel ports"
    >> (http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/index.jsp)

    > OK, but i use a RS-232 serial PCMCIA card, where to the PCMCIA card 4
    > RS-232 ports are connected. These ports are seen by the OS (Win98,
    > W2K, WinXP) and listed as COM ports, but not by the COMM API.
    >
    > Does you or anyone else know any alternative to the COMM API?

    Your PCMCIA serial interface must be handled by the native OS. It cannot be
    addressed directly by Java. Once it has the appropriate native driver, it
    may appear as a serial interface, but Java cannot do the first part for you
    by itself.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com
    Paul Lutus, Aug 25, 2004
  5. Christian Marko

    JScoobyCed Guest

    Christian Marko wrote:
    > JScoobyCed <> wrote in message news:<412c6288$0$14164$>...
    >
    >>Christian Marko wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have experiences with the COMM API and the usage of the
    >>>PCMCIA port? With the COMM API the PCMCIA ports should also be found,
    >>>or not?
    >>>
    >>>I have a PCMCIA port on my notebook, but this port won't be found, by
    >>>the appropriate class of the COMM API. As i read in other posts, the
    >>>port should be found. Can anyone help me?
    >>>

    > OK, but i use a RS-232 serial PCMCIA card, where to the PCMCIA card 4
    > RS-232 ports are connected. These ports are seen by the OS (Win98,
    > W2K, WinXP) and listed as COM ports, but not by the COMM API.
    >
    > Does you or anyone else know any alternative to the COMM API?

    Oh ! That's different. If it is a PCMCIA card that add serial ports,
    then yes they should be found by the COMM PAI (provided these ports are
    listed in the Hardware/Device Manager, which is the case as I read you).
    Try the sample code of the COMMAPI to simply list the ports seen Java.
    It should list the Parallel port and the serial ports. All
    Virtual/Emulated Serial ports should appear (I can list the Serial Port
    created by my BlueTooth dongle, or I use to emulate a serial Port other
    InfraRed). Also if you have an internal modem, it should list the
    virtual serial port (/usually/ COM3).
    The following code with print the list of Serial/Parallel port if COMM
    API is correctly installed:
    <code>
    public void listPorts() {
    Class.forName("com.sun.comm.Win32Driver")
    Enumeration list = CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifiers();
    CommPortIdentifier po;
    while(list.hasMoreElements()) {
    po = (CommPortIdentifier) list.nextElement();
    if(po.getPortType() == CommPortIdentifier.PORT_SERIAL) {
    System.out.println("Serial port found: " + po.getName());
    }
    else if(po.getPortType() == CommPortIdentifier.PORT_PARALLEL) {
    System.out.println("Parallel port found: " + po.getName());
    </code>

    To have a valid COMM API installed:
    1. Find the default path of the java.exe (usually C:\Program
    Files\Java\JRE\bin\java.exe on Windows, but check yours): JAVA_HOME
    2. in JAVA_HOME\bin put win32comm.dll
    3. in JAVA_HOME\lib put the javax.comm.properties
    4. in JAVA_HOME\lib\ext put the comm.jar

    That's all I can help :)

    JScoobyCed, Aug 26, 2004