PDF with Arabic

Tobin Harris

Hi there,

Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Danish
text.

Thanks

Tobin

Andreas Schwarz

Tobin said:
Hi there,

Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Danish
text.

I don't know any of the ruby PDF libraries, but I've been using Latex to
generate PDF from Ruby with good results.

Tobin Harris

Hi Andreas

Sounds like an interesting approach. Would you be able to give me some
pointers as to the libraries you use. If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple
of questions:

- Is there a lib for Ruby that is considered best for integrating with
Latex?
- Could the libs be used on a shared server, without sysadmin intervention?
- What's the best way for me to start playing with LaTex/Ruby to see if it
will work?

Much appreciated

Tobin

Austin Ziegler

Hi there,

Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Dan= ish
text.

Long term, this will be PDF::Writer. Right now, we've just *barely*
gotten Japanese working thanks to the diligence of Noritsugu Nakamura.

I have a number of font issues to figure out, but I expect sometime
early next year we will have full multilingual PDF.

-austin

Andreas S.

Tobin said:
Hi Andreas

Sounds like an interesting approach. Would you be able to give me some
pointers as to the libraries you use. If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple
of questions:

- Is there a lib for Ruby that is considered best for integrating with
Latex?
- Could the libs be used on a shared server, without sysadmin intervention?
- What's the best way for me to start playing with LaTex/Ruby to see if it
will work?

Hi,

you don't need a library. Just create a Latex template file with
embedded ruby (ERb), compile it to a latex file and run "pdflatex
yourfile.tex". You need a full latex installation on the server, though.
On a shared web server I wouldn't count on that.

Andreas

Andreas S.

Austin said:
Long term, this will be PDF::Writer. Right now, we've just *barely*
gotten Japanese working thanks to the diligence of Noritsugu Nakamura.

I have a number of font issues to figure out, but I expect sometime
early next year we will have full multilingual PDF.

Including support for right-to-left text?

Austin Ziegler

Including support for right-to-left text?

That's the intent. I believe that it's pretty easy to do that part
already, although I don't have any code that directly enables it in
the PDF, because the font issues (the *main* problem) aren't yet
resolved.

-austin