    text.

    Thanks

    Tobin
    Tobin Harris, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Tobin Harris schrieb:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
    > PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Danish
    > text.

    I don't know any of the ruby PDF libraries, but I've been using Latex to
    generate PDF from Ruby with good results.
    Andreas Schwarz, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Tobin Harris

    Tobin Harris Guest

    Hi Andreas

    Sounds like an interesting approach. Would you be able to give me some
    pointers as to the libraries you use. If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple
    of questions:

    - Is there a lib for Ruby that is considered best for integrating with
    Latex?
    - Could the libs be used on a shared server, without sysadmin intervention?
    - What's the best way for me to start playing with LaTex/Ruby to see if it
    will work?

    Much appreciated

    Tobin

    Tobin Harris, Nov 1, 2005
  4. On 11/1/05, Tobin Harris <tobin@_do_not_spam_tobinharris.com> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
    > PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Dan=

    ish
    > text.

    Long term, this will be PDF::Writer. Right now, we've just *barely*
    gotten Japanese working thanks to the diligence of Noritsugu Nakamura.

    I have a number of font issues to figure out, but I expect sometime
    early next year we will have full multilingual PDF.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:
    Austin Ziegler, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Tobin Harris

    Andreas S. Guest

    Tobin Harris wrote:
    > Hi Andreas
    >
    > Sounds like an interesting approach. Would you be able to give me some
    > pointers as to the libraries you use. If you wouldn't mind, I have a couple
    > of questions:
    >
    > - Is there a lib for Ruby that is considered best for integrating with
    > Latex?
    > - Could the libs be used on a shared server, without sysadmin intervention?
    > - What's the best way for me to start playing with LaTex/Ruby to see if it
    > will work?

    Hi,

    you don't need a library. Just create a Latex template file with
    embedded ruby (ERb), compile it to a latex file and run "pdflatex
    yourfile.tex". You need a full latex installation on the server, though.
    On a shared web server I wouldn't count on that.

    Andreas
    Andreas S., Nov 2, 2005
  6. Tobin Harris

    Andreas S. Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 11/1/05, Tobin Harris <tobin@_do_not_spam_tobinharris.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Anyone know what my best choice of library is for generating multilingual
    >>PDFs in Ruby. The PDFs will need to output English, Arabic, Dutch and Danish
    >>text.

    > Long term, this will be PDF::Writer. Right now, we've just *barely*
    > gotten Japanese working thanks to the diligence of Noritsugu Nakamura.
    >
    > I have a number of font issues to figure out, but I expect sometime
    > early next year we will have full multilingual PDF.

    Including support for right-to-left text?
    Andreas S., Nov 2, 2005
  7. On 11/2/05, Andreas S. <> wrote:
    > Including support for right-to-left text?

    That's the intent. I believe that it's pretty easy to do that part
    already, although I don't have any code that directly enables it in
    the PDF, because the font issues (the *main* problem) aren't yet
    resolved.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *