Perl and IIS - script runs but 'The page cannot be displayed'

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by stew dean, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of Perl
    on IIS.

    I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict) but,
    for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built into
    the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    displayed'.

    I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the main
    server I continue to get this error. As I have no error messages other
    than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can tweak to get it to
    work. Maybe there's an error log I could look at?

    I need to get a HTML page displayed at the end so I can then do futher
    steps but so far cannot.

    I'm running ActiveState Perl 5.8 with IIS 5 on a Windows 2000 box.

    Any help appreciated.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 21, 2003

  2. (stew dean) wrote in

    > This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of Perl
    > on IIS.
    >
    > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict) but,
    > for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built into
    > the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > displayed'.

    And we are supposed to divine what is going on without seeing a line of
    code?

    > I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the main
    > server I continue to get this error. As I have no error messages other
    > than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can tweak to get it to
    > work. Maybe there's an error log I could look at?

    There probably is. Why don't you look at it?

    > I need to get a HTML page displayed at the end so I can then do futher
    > steps but so far cannot.

    > Any help appreciated.

    To get any help, you'll need top provide some information. Also, make
    sure this is not a web server configuration or CGI issue. Please refer to
    the posting guidelines for this group at

    Without at least seeing a short example script that illustrates the
    problem you are having, it is impossible to say anything.

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 21, 2003

  3. On 21 Oct 2003 03:53:24 -0700
    (stew dean) wrote:

    > This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of
    > Perl on IIS.
    >
    > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict)
    > but, for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built
    > into the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > displayed'.
    >
    > I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the main
    > server I continue to get this error. As I have no error messages
    > other than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can tweak to get
    > it to work. Maybe there's an error log I could look at?

    This questions begs one to ask - "Did you read the documentation for
    IIS?". Errors from your script _should_ be there for you to examine.

    > I need to get a HTML page displayed at the end so I can then do
    > futher steps but so far cannot.
    >
    > I'm running ActiveState Perl 5.8 with IIS 5 on a Windows 2000 box.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Please start by RTM :) Also, run the script at the command line.
    Any errors should show there - and be identical (with all things being
    equal) to the error messages in the error log.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    In English, every word can be verbed. Would that it were so in
    <our programming languages.

    James Willmore, Oct 21, 2003
  4. stew dean

    Roy Johnson Guest

    (stew dean) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict) but,
    > for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built into
    > the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > displayed'.

    Perhaps the server is not configured to run scripts? Or, if you know
    that the scripts are running, the page won't display, you must have a
    problem with formatting (maybe you're not sending the "text/html"
    prologue?).

    In that case, try shift-clicking the link that launches the scripts,
    so you can save the output to a file, then peruse the file. Name it
    with a .html extension and try to load it directly.

    Roy Johnson, Oct 21, 2003
  5. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote in message news:<Xns941B70CB78211asu1cornelledu@132.236.56.8>...
    > (stew dean) wrote in
    >
    > > This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of Perl
    > > on IIS.
    > >
    > > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict) but,
    > > for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built into
    > > the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > > displayed'.

    > And we are supposed to divine what is going on without seeing a line of
    > code?

    The code it's self, although clunky no doubt compared to the abilities
    of many, works fine. It's processing a large XML file and spitting out
    webpages. With a smaller XML file it displays Done - with a larger one
    it apears to time out. I've checked it for errors by putting a dummy
    error in there but it only shows up that error.

    > > I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the main
    > > server I continue to get this error. As I have no error messages other
    > > than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can tweak to get it to
    > > work. Maybe there's an error log I could look at?

    > There probably is. Why don't you look at it?

    I don't know if there is an error log or where it would be if there
    was. Any suggestions suggested.

    > > I need to get a HTML page displayed at the end so I can then do futher
    > > steps but so far cannot.

    > > Any help appreciated.

    > To get any help, you'll need top provide some information. Also, make
    > sure this is not a web server configuration or CGI issue. Please refer to
    > the posting guidelines for this group at
    >
    > http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html
    >
    > Without at least seeing a short example script that illustrates the
    > problem you are having, it is impossible to say anything.

    The script is fine. I have many scripts running quite happily except
    for the two hardest working scripts, both are fine when you give them
    a short XML file but large ones cause problems. The server is hefty
    enough to handle them (memory etc is all fine) so I'm thinking it's a
    set up issue with IIS.

    I'm looking to see if anyone else has a similair problem.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 22, 2003
  6. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 21 Oct 2003 03:53:24 -0700
    > (stew dean) wrote:
    >
    > > This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of
    > > Perl on IIS.
    > >
    > > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict)
    > > but, for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built
    > > into the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > > displayed'.
    > >
    > > I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the main
    > > server I continue to get this error. As I have no error messages
    > > other than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can tweak to get
    > > it to work. Maybe there's an error log I could look at?

    > This questions begs one to ask - "Did you read the documentation for
    > IIS?". Errors from your script _should_ be there for you to examine.

    The errors for the script are not going to be in the documentation. I
    have a rather hefty manual I could spend a few weeks reading but I
    very much doubt it will resolve my issue.

    > > I need to get a HTML page displayed at the end so I can then do
    > > futher steps but so far cannot.
    > >
    > > I'm running ActiveState Perl 5.8 with IIS 5 on a Windows 2000 box.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated.

    > Please start by RTM :) Also, run the script at the command line.
    > Any errors should show there - and be identical (with all things being
    > equal) to the error messages in the error log.

    When it comes down to the combination of technolgies i'm using the
    manuals don't cut it. The perl ones are aimed at Unix users and the
    IIS help files don't (help that is). I have some heft books on IIS
    and, quite frankly, it's a soul destoying paper chase form tech term
    to tech term.

    I've been online for about nine years now - the interweb superexpress
    freeway always delivers answers that dead tree media often cannot. I
    wouldnt ask if it the solution was in the pile of vegetable cells on
    my desk.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 22, 2003
  7. (stew dean) wrote in

    > James Willmore <> wrote in message
    >> On 21 Oct 2003 03:53:24 -0700
    >> (stew dean) wrote:
    >>
    >> > This is not a pure Perl problem but is to do with the running of
    >> > Perl on IIS.
    >> >
    >> > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict)
    >> > but, for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page
    >> > built into the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot
    >> > be displayed'.
    >> >
    >> > I have run it on a local IIS set up with no problems but on the
    >> > main server I continue to get this error. As I have no error
    >> > messages other than page not displayed I'm not sure what I can
    >> > tweak to get it to work. Maybe there's an error log I could look
    >> > at?

    >> This questions begs one to ask - "Did you read the documentation for
    >> IIS?". Errors from your script _should_ be there for you to examine.

    > The errors for the script are not going to be in the documentation. I
    > have a rather hefty manual I could spend a few weeks reading but I
    > very much doubt it will resolve my issue.

    The manual would tell you where to find the error logs so you can find
    out what is wrong, and maybe give us a clue. That is not too much to ask.

    > I've been online for about nine years now - the interweb superexpress
    > freeway always delivers answers that dead tree media often cannot. I
    > wouldnt ask if it the solution was in the pile of vegetable cells on
    > my desk.

    So, you cannot be bothered to check the error logs, and tell us what is
    in there, but somehow we are supposed to divine what is going on ...
    Interesting attitude.

    In the time you took to type up all these replies as to why you won't
    check the error logs, you could have checked the error logs, and posted
    some information that could have been helpful in figuring out the
    problem.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    Remove dashes for address
    Spam bait: mailto:

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 22, 2003
  8. On 22 Oct 2003 04:27:54 -0700
    (stew dean) wrote:
    > James Willmore <> wrote in message
    > > On 21 Oct 2003 03:53:24 -0700
    > > (stew dean) wrote:

    <snip>

    What happened when you ran the script at the command line? There is
    _little_ difference between running the script on the command line and
    running it through the web server - especially if you use the CGI
    module (hint - '-debug').

    Where is the code you speak of? You have yet to post any offending
    code.

    The documentation for _Perl_ (specifically, perlfaq9) gives a tip or
    two on debugging a buggy Perl CGI script.

    And yes, I was insulting to you. Sorry for the transgression. By the
    same token, if you run a web server, you should at least know where
    the logs are located - or you shouldn't be a web server admin or even
    touch a web server for development purposes. I may not agree with
    some of the admins or the developers where I work, but at least they
    know where the logs are located :)

    For the time being - and to give a hint - try using CGI::Carp (just
    not in a production environment).

    HTH and have a nice day :)

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    People usually get what's coming to them ... unless it's been
    <mailed.

    James Willmore, Oct 22, 2003
  9. stew dean

    Jay Tilton Guest

    (stew dean) wrote:

    : The code it's self, although clunky no doubt compared to the abilities
    : of many, works fine.

    Then the Perl problem has been solved. Yay team!

    : I'm thinking it's a set up issue with IIS.

    You are probably right.

    Since Perl is not IIS, an IIS-oriented newsgroup would be a more
    appropriate place to seek help than a Perl newsgroup. The readers there
    will at least be able to guide you to the location of the server's error
    log.

    Right now, the only thing known about the error is that it exists. That
    is not enough information to begin diagnosis.

    Jay Tilton, Oct 22, 2003
  10. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote in message news:<Xns941C6F2D4438Easu1cornelledu@132.236.56.8>...
    > (stew dean) wrote in
    >
    > > James Willmore <> wrote in message

    > >> This questions begs one to ask - "Did you read the documentation for
    > >> IIS?". Errors from your script _should_ be there for you to examine.

    > > The errors for the script are not going to be in the documentation. I
    > > have a rather hefty manual I could spend a few weeks reading but I
    > > very much doubt it will resolve my issue.

    > The manual would tell you where to find the error logs so you can find
    > out what is wrong, and maybe give us a clue. That is not too much to ask.

    That's my problem - the script is producing no errors as in the script
    if fine, it runs without producing an error, that's why I think it's a
    server related problem.

    > > I've been online for about nine years now - the interweb superexpress
    > > freeway always delivers answers that dead tree media often cannot. I
    > > wouldnt ask if it the solution was in the pile of vegetable cells on
    > > my desk.

    > So, you cannot be bothered to check the error logs, and tell us what is
    > in there, but somehow we are supposed to divine what is going on ...
    > Interesting attitude.

    I don't even know if there is an error log.

    > In the time you took to type up all these replies as to why you won't
    > check the error logs, you could have checked the error logs, and posted
    > some information that could have been helpful in figuring out the
    > problem.

    So you know where the error log is then? Look I know you want to help
    but you're not helping me.

    I'm now going to try and find an error log that may or may not exist
    (I have already spent an hour trying to find if one exists).

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 22, 2003
  11. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    (Roy Johnson) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (stew dean) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I now have two scripts that run without errors (I'm using strict) but,
    > > for some reason, will not display the simple 'Done!' page built into
    > > the script. Instead the server gives me 'The page cannot be
    > > displayed'.

    > Perhaps the server is not configured to run scripts? Or, if you know
    > that the scripts are running, the page won't display, you must have a
    > problem with formatting (maybe you're not sending the "text/html"
    > prologue?).
    >
    > In that case, try shift-clicking the link that launches the scripts,
    > so you can save the output to a file, then peruse the file. Name it
    > with a .html extension and try to load it directly.

    Tried this and it never gets as far as giving me a file. The output
    text has the full HTML headers and definition and I know it works when
    processing a small XML file so this is all in order.

    The server already runs many scripts with no problems so the perl is
    set up and working happily - except in this case.

    Thanks for what is probably the only helpful responce so far.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 22, 2003
  12. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 22 Oct 2003 04:27:54 -0700
    > (stew dean) wrote:
    > > James Willmore <> wrote in message
    > > > On 21 Oct 2003 03:53:24 -0700
    > > > (stew dean) wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > What happened when you ran the script at the command line?

    I've never run a perl script at the command line.

    > There is
    > _little_ difference between running the script on the command line and
    > running it through the web server - especially if you use the CGI
    > module (hint - '-debug').

    > Where is the code you speak of? You have yet to post any offending
    > code.

    There is no offending code. I'm not posting up my script as the script
    works fine. It takes an XML file and spits out other files (html) and
    one HTML page which tells me the script has run and gives me more
    options (like adding details to selected pages).

    > The documentation for _Perl_ (specifically, perlfaq9) gives a tip or
    > two on debugging a buggy Perl CGI script.

    The perl script is not buggy - it's running fine. It generates all the
    files but for some reason is not producing my final HTML page.

    > And yes, I was insulting to you. Sorry for the transgression. By the
    > same token, if you run a web server, you should at least know where
    > the logs are located

    Which logs? I use the events log, I run stats on the access logs. Now
    what I don't appear to be able to find is the perl error log if there
    is one.

    > For the time being - and to give a hint - try using CGI::Carp (just
    > not in a production environment).

    Well that's enigmatic. I suspect that it's also not the answer I seek
    but I will check it out.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 22, 2003
  13. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, stew dean acidicly remarked for the benefit of
    the gallery:

    > Thanks for what is probably the only helpful responce so far.

    I think that's reached the plonk threshold now. Bye.

    Alan J. Flavell, Oct 23, 2003
  14. stew dean wrote:
    > The perl script is not buggy - it's running fine.

    Then what is your problem? Apparently it has nothing to do with Perl or has
    it?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 23, 2003
  15. (stew dean) wrote in message news:<>...
    > James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > On 22 Oct 2003 04:27:54 -0700
    > > (stew dean) wrote:
    > > > James Willmore <> wrote in message

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > What happened when you ran the script at the command line?

    > I've never run a perl script at the command line.

    Why not?

    > > There is
    > > _little_ difference between running the script on the command line and
    > > running it through the web server - especially if you use the CGI
    > > module (hint - '-debug').

    > > Where is the code you speak of? You have yet to post any offending
    > > code.

    > There is no offending code. I'm not posting up my script as the script
    > works fine. It takes an XML file and spits out other files (html) and
    > one HTML page which tells me the script has run and gives me more
    > options (like adding details to selected pages).
    >
    > > The documentation for _Perl_ (specifically, perlfaq9) gives a tip or
    > > two on debugging a buggy Perl CGI script.

    > The perl script is not buggy - it's running fine. It generates all the
    > files but for some reason is not producing my final HTML page.

    Hum ... are you outputing the correct HTTP header? Maybe there _is_
    something wrong with the script? A typo, maybe? Running the script
    _at the command line_ will produce messages that _may_ not be seen as
    errors, but as warnings that the web server is just dismissing. You
    can also see what the script is sending out to the browser. What ever
    you see at the command line is what _should_ be going to the browser.

    > > And yes, I was insulting to you. Sorry for the transgression. By the
    > > same token, if you run a web server, you should at least know where
    > > the logs are located

    > Which logs? I use the events log, I run stats on the access logs. Now
    > what I don't appear to be able to find is the perl error log if there
    > is one.

    There are _no_ Perl error logs. The error logs I was refering to were
    the _server_ error logs. However, you can issue events to the
    Window's Event Log from the script using the Win32::EventLog module.
    By inserting some logging code into your script, you can see each time
    the code to produce HTML is hit. You can then see what, if anything,
    broke.

    > > For the time being - and to give a hint - try using CGI::Carp (just
    > > not in a production environment).

    > Well that's enigmatic. I suspect that it's also not the answer I seek
    > but I will check it out.

    Like I mentioned before, maybe the code _is_ broke somewhere.
    CGI::Carp can report the errors to the browser (since you seem to not
    want to run the script at the command line). If something is broke,
    the error will appear.

    HTH

    Jim
    (jwillmore _at_ adelphia _dot_ net)

    James Willmore, Oct 23, 2003
  16. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    (James Willmore) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (stew dean) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > What happened when you ran the script at the command line?

    > > I've never run a perl script at the command line.

    > Why not?

    Because I've never had to. Why would I want to?

    > > > There is
    > > > _little_ difference between running the script on the command line and
    > > > running it through the web server - especially if you use the CGI
    > > > module (hint - '-debug').

    > > > Where is the code you speak of? You have yet to post any offending
    > > > code.

    > > There is no offending code. I'm not posting up my script as the script
    > > works fine. It takes an XML file and spits out other files (html) and
    > > one HTML page which tells me the script has run and gives me more
    > > options (like adding details to selected pages).
    > >
    > > > The documentation for _Perl_ (specifically, perlfaq9) gives a tip or
    > > > two on debugging a buggy Perl CGI script.

    > > The perl script is not buggy - it's running fine. It generates all the
    > > files but for some reason is not producing my final HTML page.

    > Hum ... are you outputing the correct HTTP header?

    Yes.

    > Maybe there _is_
    > something wrong with the script? A typo, maybe? Running the script
    > _at the command line_ will produce messages that _may_ not be seen as
    > errors, but as warnings that the web server is just dismissing.

    All errors that are generated by the script are displayed in the
    output. It uses strict so all errors are picked up including variables
    not declared. If it finds more than one it stops running and tells me.

    Now there may be errors produced of a different kind but then this
    would be new to me and I'm trying to find out what kind of errors they
    may be. The code it's self is fine with no syntax errors.

    If I run it from the command line it can't find the input file as the
    file is relative to the web server. This is all about reading and
    writing files afterall.

    <snip>

    > > > For the time being - and to give a hint - try using CGI::Carp (just
    > > > not in a production environment).

    > > Well that's enigmatic. I suspect that it's also not the answer I seek
    > > but I will check it out.

    > Like I mentioned before, maybe the code _is_ broke somewhere.
    > CGI::Carp can report the errors to the browser (since you seem to not
    > want to run the script at the command line). If something is broke,
    > the error will appear.

    If something is broke it gives me the error by passing me the
    headers. Will Carp give me any errors that I don't already receive
    (given that I'm not adding debug messages into the script)?

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 23, 2003
  17. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message news:<mjFlb.28443$>...
    > stew dean wrote:
    > > The perl script is not buggy - it's running fine.

    > Then what is your problem? Apparently it has nothing to do with Perl or has
    > it?

    It's to do with the way perl is running on IIS - that is for some
    reason it is running but the output is not reaching the browser.

    It's also about finding out more about how Perl runs on windows.

    Perl doesnt naturaly have an error log on windows from what I can see
    and so far I have been relying on the errors given to me in the
    headers returned -that is the usualy syntax and other errors that are
    returned by using strict.

    Now I'm exploring all the other suggestions but so far I've had not
    joy.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 23, 2003
  18. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    "Alan J. Flavell" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, stew dean acidicly remarked for the benefit of
    > the gallery:
    >
    > > Thanks for what is probably the only helpful responce so far.

    > I think that's reached the plonk threshold now. Bye.

    Hang on - why does your name ring a bell? My god - it's the same Alan
    Flavell I used to talk about HTML to way back in 1996. You where the
    one who was saying HTML should not be used for layout. You even
    suggested that all layout should be done in PDF at one point. Shame I
    missed all your wining about Flash and what about style sheets?

    Welcome to 2003 Alan.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 23, 2003
  19. On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Abigail exposed the fact that:

    > stew dean () wrote on MMMDCCV September
    > MCMXCIII in <URL:news:>:

    > ** Hang on - why does your name ring a bell? My god - it's the same Alan
    > ** Flavell I used to talk about HTML to way back in 1996.

    I was responding specifically to the current issues. I saw no reason
    to rake-over past acrimony.

    > You where the
    > ** one who was saying HTML should not be used for layout.

    I'm one who's saying that the web has now finally caught up with the
    recognition that HTML would better not be used for layout. The idea
    of using stylesheets pre-dated RFC1866/HTML2.0, and it should have
    been obvious to anyone who bothered to rub two brain cells together
    that they were a good approach. It's taken too long to get there, but
    it's finally happening, and I find that development rather positive.

    But it really has nothing to do with how and where to look for
    solutions to IIS problems.

    > *PLONK*

    Well-plonked. :-}

    > (I talked about HTML way back in 1996 (and even before as well). I said
    > then, and I still say, that HTML should not be used for layout.

    Indeed.

    [f'ups prophylactically set...]

    Alan J. Flavell, Oct 23, 2003
  20. stew dean

    stew dean Guest

    (Jay Tilton) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (stew dean) wrote:
    >
    > : The code it's self, although clunky no doubt compared to the abilities
    > : of many, works fine.
    >
    > Then the Perl problem has been solved. Yay team!

    Be nice.

    > : I'm thinking it's a set up issue with IIS.
    >
    > You are probably right.
    >
    > Since Perl is not IIS, an IIS-oriented newsgroup would be a more
    > appropriate place to seek help than a Perl newsgroup.

    My problem is running perl script on IIS. So although it is not
    strictly to do with the perl code it is to do with the running of
    perl.

    I was hoping that someone here might run perl on IIS and know what my
    problem is.

    > Right now, the only thing known about the error is that it exists. That
    > is not enough information to begin diagnosis.

    There is no error from perl - that's my problem.

    Stew Dean

    stew dean, Oct 23, 2003