Perl & Get web content Perl-Function [Expert]

Pseudonyme

Hi all !

I have some questions to you, experts, that relate to the PERL
LANGUAGE

1. Is that possible to recognize the platform of a website ?
From example : If I take this website : http://www.latimes.com
How do I know if it is a PERL, a PHP or ASP ?
Is there a trick ?

2. The Get-Web-Content PERL function.
How to get the content using PERL script ?
In PHP : it is like this :

$homepage = file_get_contents(''http://andersen.times.com/adveruser/
adverpay.php?country=1270331545&time=1236928998');
echo $homepage;

What about in PERL ?

Thank you very much dear Madams and Sirs, for your answer.

Norman Cougloff

Jürgen Exner

Pseudonyme said:

Dear Pseudonyme
I have some questions to you, experts, that relate to the PERL
LANGUAGE

I think you meant "Perl language"?
1. Is that possible to recognize the platform of a website ?

The OS can be found in $^O.
From example : If I take this website : http://www.latimes.com
How do I know if it is a PERL, a PHP or ASP ?
Is there a trick ?

Oh, you didn't mean OS when you said platform. No, there isn't and there
can't be because
- the HyperTextTransferProtocol doesn't provide this information
- the web server can map any URI into whatever the user has configured
and can reply with whatever it feels appropriate to use
- any web site can use none or any combination of those and other

BTW: this question has nothing to do with Perl but is about how HTTP and
web servers work.
2. The Get-Web-Content PERL function.
How to get the content using PERL script ?

You use get() from WWW::Mechanize.

jue

Pseudonyme

Thank you Madams and Sirs,

get() from WWW::Mechanize.
That one sounds a nice function. Cool ! I will search the options that
relate to that function ?

1 - PHP versus PERL

The Perl language seems more powerful than the PHP Language. What kind
of music sounds to your ears about this sentence ?

2 - PHP into PERL ?
An automatic tool to convert ?
A translator like translating italian into english ... some tools work
so well in that matter !

3 - PERL is also a community like PHP ?

perldoc -q and http://perldoc.perl.org/

MSFT offers for example a fantastic and exhaustive documentation for C+
+ Development (MSDN). How is the documentation with Perl ?

Again, the answers we have from you are very important, and thank you
for that

Norman Cougloff.

How

Randal L. Schwartz

Pseudonyme> 1 - PHP versus PERL

Pseudonyme> The Perl language seems more powerful than the PHP Language. What
Pseudonyme> kind of music sounds to your ears about this sentence ?

cha-ching.

:)

Pseudonyme> 2 - PHP into PERL ?
Pseudonyme> An automatic tool to convert ?

Nothing I know of.

Pseudonyme> 3 - PERL is also a community like PHP ?

Pseudonyme> perldoc -q and http://perldoc.perl.org/

Pseudonyme> MSFT offers for example a fantastic and exhaustive documentation for C+
Pseudonyme> + Development (MSDN). How is the documentation with Perl ?

Better than many projects, but spotty coverage in places.

Jürgen Exner

Pseudonyme said:
1 - PHP versus PERL

The Perl language seems more powerful than the PHP Language.

Different design, different purpose, different application area,
partially overlapping usage.
It's like saying a pickup truck is more useful than a suburban. For a
contractor that is certainly true, for a soccer mum certainly not.
2 - PHP into PERL ?
An automatic tool to convert ?

Not that I know of and given that they are rather different languages
with rather different design and different application areas I doubt
that anyone has bothered writing such a tool.
3 - PERL is also a community like PHP ?

Perl is _not_ an acronym. If you are talking about the programming
language, then it is properly spelled as "Perl", if you are talking
about the interpreter it is properly spelled as "perl".
PERL in all caps is something different, I don't know what it is, but it
is not related to what this NG is all about.
perldoc -q and http://perldoc.perl.org/

MSFT offers for example a fantastic and exhaustive documentation for C+
+ Development (MSDN). How is the documentation with Perl ?

Perl's documentation is extensive and it is automatically installed with
every Perl installation to give you instant access as well as to match
the Perl version you are using, see 'perldoc perl' for a top-level
overview of what topics are available.

And there are also numerous good books on various topics ranging from
basic introduction into Perl to major software projects like managing
databases or large web sites or complex IT situations with Perl.
Unfortunately there are also quite a few not so good books as well as
many horrible web sites about Perl. See "perldoc -q books" for a list of
recommended titles.

jue