Perl on Windows

Adam Smith

Hello,

Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,
and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

Thanks

-- Adam --

A. Sinan Unur

Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,

My preferred distribution is ActiveState's ActivePerl. You can download
the latest version from:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server /
browser

Yes. The installation will ask to set up file associations for you. If you
also add the extension you will be using for your scripts, such as .pl or
..plx to the PATHEXT variable, you can run scripts in your path without
typing their extensions.

If you are not going to do any CGI programming, you will not need to set
up a web server. However, if there is even the remotest possibility, you
can get the Windows version of Apache from http://httpd.apache.org/.

Sinan.

Sherm Pendley

Adam said:
Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,

and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

For help on getting started with Perl, have a look at:

<http://learn.perl.org>

If you haven't done so already, please read the posting guidelines that
appear here twice a week. Lots of pointers and tips there.

sherm--

Jürgen Exner

Kendall K. Down

In message <[email protected]>
Adam Smith said:
Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,
and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

I'm very much a newbie to Perl and I've found Optiperl is fine - a slight
fiddle to set up, but it appears to work well. I got it off a magazine cover
CD, it may be available for free download somewhere.

Ken Down

A. Sinan Unur

[ You top-posted and put the text of the message below the signature
separator. Good newsreaders get rid of anything below the signature
separator when replying. Please do not top post and format your
replies properly. ]

Bah what?
Go here, its free and works very well. I wrote a review on it for you
today. I think many people will ask the same question

Then they will be better served by going to

http://www.cpan.org/ports/#win32
... Active Perl isnt free.

Hmmm ... From <http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?_x=1>:

ActivePerl is ActiveState's quality-assured, ready-to-install
distribution of Perl, available for Linux, Solaris, and Windows.
As part of ActiveState's support for Perl, we provide the
ActivePerl distribution free to the community.

People may prefer one binary distribution over another. Nothing wrong
with that.
perl_on_windows_for_free

Not worth the paper it is printed on. There is absolutely no information
on the advantages of IndigoPerl relative to other binary distributions.

Sinan

Alan J. Flavell

Indeed. Posting, without further comment, to a newsgroup
(comp.lang.perl) which was officially phased-out years ago, does not
bode well for the accuracy of anything else you might have to say to
the hon Usenauts.

To recommend Indigoperl, wouldn't it be better to refer to here?
- http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm
its free and works very well. I wrote a review on it for you today.

What's wrong with usenet? It looks as if you don't know how to use
it yet.
I think many people will ask the same question.....

What same question?
Active Perl isnt free.

- From the ActivePerl license:

| You may use this Package for commercial or non-commercial purposes
| without charge.

- From the Indigoperl license:

| You may use IndigoPerl for commercial or non-commercial purposes
| without charge.

Would you care to take us through the differences which you perceive
in their respective licenses?
... /index.php/codecenter/2005/01/22/indigoperl_run_perl_on_windows_for_free

Come off it. It looks as if you're trying to promote a specific
discussion forum, not really to help anyone with their choice of Perl
distributions. That cited URL can be summarised as "we installed it
on one laptop and it works". Well, so it does, but you could safely
have said that here too.

Both are respectable and useful distributions. Of course there's also
Cygwin Perl ;-)

The benefits of IndigoPerl, particularly for a beginner who has web
usage in mind, are in areas which you haven't even mentioned - being
bundled with Apache, mod_perl etc. But I don't see anything wrong
with the other options.

[ f'ups set ]