    and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

    Thanks

    -- Adam --

    Adam Smith, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Adam Smith <> wrote in
    news::

    > Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,

    My preferred distribution is ActiveState's ActivePerl. You can download
    the latest version from:

    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

    > and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server /
    > browser

    Yes. The installation will ask to set up file associations for you. If you
    also add the extension you will be using for your scripts, such as .pl or
    ..plx to the PATHEXT variable, you can run scripts in your path without
    typing their extensions.

    If you are not going to do any CGI programming, you will not need to set
    up a web server. However, if there is even the remotest possibility, you
    can get the Windows version of Apache from http://httpd.apache.org/.

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 21, 2005

    <http://www.activestate.com>

    > and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

    For help on getting started with Perl, have a look at:

    <http://learn.perl.org>

    If you haven't done so already, please read the posting guidelines that
    appear here twice a week. Lots of pointers and tips there.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Adam Smith wrote:
    > Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up

    No idea how you would set up a script.

    > and run Perl scripts on windows,

    Just install a Perl interpreter. The most common an convenient version is
    probably ActivePerl from ActiveState
    (http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)

    > and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server /
    > browser

    Aehmmm, "standalone" _is_ the normal way to run a Perl program.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 22, 2005
  5. In message <>
    Adam Smith <> wrote:

    > Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,
    > and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server / browser

    I'm very much a newbie to Perl and I've found Optiperl is fine - a slight
    fiddle to set up, but it appears to work well. I got it off a magazine cover
    CD, it may be available for free download somewhere.

    Ken Down

    --
    ================ ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIGGINGS ===============
    | Australia's premiere archaeological magazine |

    Kendall K. Down, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Adam Smith

    JRBTech Guest

    Bah.
    Go here, its free and works very well. I wrote a review on it for you today.
    I think many people will ask the same question.....Active Perl isnt free.

    http://www.jrbtech.com/index.php/codecenter/2005/01/22/indigoperl_run_perl_on_windows_for_free

    --
    JRB Technology
    http://www.jrbtech.com

    JRBTech, Jan 22, 2005
  7. "JRBTech" <> wrote in

    [ You top-posted and put the text of the message below the signature
    separator. Good newsreaders get rid of anything below the signature
    separator when replying. Please do not top post and format your
    replies properly. ]

    > "Adam Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,
    >> and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server /
    >> browser

    > Bah.

    Bah what?

    > Go here, its free and works very well. I wrote a review on it for you
    > today. I think many people will ask the same question

    Then they will be better served by going to

    http://www.cpan.org/ports/#win32

    > ... Active Perl isnt free.

    Hmmm ... From <http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?_x=1>:

    ActivePerl is ActiveState's quality-assured, ready-to-install
    distribution of Perl, available for Linux, Solaris, and Windows.
    As part of ActiveState's support for Perl, we provide the
    ActivePerl distribution free to the community.

    People may prefer one binary distribution over another. Nothing wrong
    with that.

    > http://www.jrbtech.com/index.php/codecenter/2005/01/22/indigoperl_run_

    perl_on_windows_for_free

    Not worth the paper it is printed on. There is absolutely no information
    on the advantages of IndigoPerl relative to other binary distributions.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Jan 22, 2005
  8. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, JRBTech blurted out, without the
    customary courtesy of citation and context:

    > Bah.

    Indeed. Posting, without further comment, to a newsgroup
    (comp.lang.perl) which was officially phased-out years ago, does not
    bode well for the accuracy of anything else you might have to say to
    the hon Usenauts.

    > Go here,

    To recommend Indigoperl, wouldn't it be better to refer to here?
    - http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

    > its free and works very well. I wrote a review on it for you today.

    What's wrong with usenet? It looks as if you don't know how to use
    it yet.

    > I think many people will ask the same question.....

    What same question?

    > Active Perl isnt free.

    - From the ActivePerl license:

    | You may use this Package for commercial or non-commercial purposes
    | without charge.

    - From the Indigoperl license:

    | You may use IndigoPerl for commercial or non-commercial purposes
    | without charge.

    Would you care to take us through the differences which you perceive
    in their respective licenses?

    >... /index.php/codecenter/2005/01/22/indigoperl_run_perl_on_windows_for_free

    Come off it. It looks as if you're trying to promote a specific
    discussion forum, not really to help anyone with their choice of Perl
    distributions. That cited URL can be summarised as "we installed it
    on one laptop and it works". Well, so it does, but you could safely
    have said that here too.

    Both are respectable and useful distributions. Of course there's also
    Cygwin Perl ;-)

    The benefits of IndigoPerl, particularly for a beginner who has web
    usage in mind, are in areas which you haven't even mentioned - being
    bundled with Apache, mod_perl etc. But I don't see anything wrong
    with the other options.

    [ f'ups set ]

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 22, 2005
  9. [Don't top post]
    [Don't full quote]

    JRBTech wrote:
    > [...] Active Perl isnt free.

    What gave you that idea? It most certainly is free.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 22, 2005
  10. "Adam Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Could anyone advise on HOW TO set up and run Perl scripts on windows,

    One way, already mentioned: IndigoPerl, available free from
    www.indigostar.com.

    > and is it possible to run them as "standalones" without a server /

    browser?

    Yes.
    --
    Bill Segraves