PERL vs. Ruby

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ralph H. Stoos Jr., Jul 30, 2005.

  1. All,

    I have taken a company sponsored course in PERL taught by a fellow
    system engineer. He tried his best but, I am still an old dog and
    well.. that new tricks thing seems to apply.

    It seems that all courses I find assume you have other programming
    experience either in C, C++, or Java. Since I have none of these
    skills, I am hoping to somehow pick up an OOP language.

    So, I have folks recommending Ruby over PERL as a good language on which
    to cut my coding teeth.

    Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

    Please reply to the newsgroup and also to so I
    can get it right away. The next "intermediate" course starts in three
    days. I will attend it regardless but, would like to know if this is
    the best way to go for my first foray into programming.

    Thanks a lot,

    Ralph

    Ralph H. Stoos Jr., Jul 30, 2005

  2. Ralph H. Stoos Jr.

    kj Guest

    In <> Abigail <> writes:

    >I'd go for Python if I were you.

    Why do you prefer Python over Ruby?

    kj

    kj, Jul 30, 2005

  3. Ralph H. Stoos Jr.

    ChrisO Guest

    Ralph H. Stoos Jr. wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have taken a company sponsored course in PERL taught by a fellow
    > system engineer. He tried his best but, I am still an old dog and
    > well.. that new tricks thing seems to apply.
    >
    > It seems that all courses I find assume you have other programming
    > experience either in C, C++, or Java. Since I have none of these
    > skills, I am hoping to somehow pick up an OOP language.
    >
    > So, I have folks recommending Ruby over PERL as a good language on which
    > to cut my coding teeth.
    >
    > Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

    Well, this is certainly my opinion, but... I wouldn't recommend Ruby
    based on what you've described. If you are having a difficult time with
    Perl, then Ruby is only going to be that much worse for you more than
    likely. The paradigm in Ruby is a bit different IMO.

    The *reason* most languages "assume" you have experience with another
    language is because at the root, developing in ANY language requires
    some grasping of fundamental concepts which factor into your successful
    use of whatever language you are currently considering. It's just that
    in order to do that, you have to dive in with ONE of them. But I would
    not recommend Ruby for this.

    Nor would I recommend Perl as a starting place for learning the craft of
    development either. A lot of schools and universities teach Java as an
    introductory course, I think. Maybe start there? Bruce Eckel also has
    some introductory "Thinking In C++" and "Thinking In Java" free on the
    Web which you can download and read.

    And don't learn PERL from ANYONE!! If they are going to teach you PERL,
    then politely decline. Only accept if they are going to teach you Perl.
    You may think I'm being funny, but someone who volunteers to teach you
    PERL more than likely isn't going to teach you Perl.

    But feel free to come back here with legitimate questions in Perl if you
    want. Just don't post to comp.misc.perl; it doesn't exist!

    -ceo

    ChrisO, Aug 19, 2005