perls popularity

g3rc4n

how well is perl doing as a language, how long is it going to be
around for? not trolling but i've started asking myself questions on
the benifits in the long run of using perl of unix administration,
just is it as popular as i originally thought it was???? because my
mate said it was dying

A. Sinan Unur

how well is perl doing as a language, how long is it going to be
around for? not trolling but i've started asking myself questions on
the benifits in the long run of using perl of unix administration,
just is it as popular as i originally thought it was???? because my
mate said it was dying

Yeah, well, opinons differ:

http://xkcd.com/519/

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/08/perl_is_dead_long_live_perl.html

http://www.presicient.com/langjobs.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=perl+dead

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

J Kenneth King

how well is perl doing as a language, how long is it going to be
around for? not trolling but i've started asking myself questions on
the benifits in the long run of using perl of unix administration,
just is it as popular as i originally thought it was???? because my
mate said it was dying

+1 flamebait

use it or don't.

ccc31807

how well is perl doing as a language, how long is it going to be
around for? not trolling but i've started asking myself questions on
the benifits in the long run of using perl of unix administration,
just is it as popular as i originally thought it was???? because my
mate said it was dying

Is COBOL dead? Something like 80% of all financial software is written
on COBOL and California famously could not alter its payroll because
the software was written in COBOL and the state had no one to modify
it.

Is ADA dead? Go talk to the good folks in Huntsville, Ala.

Is C dead? or FORTRAN? or assembly? Go talk to the EEs.

I'm a database guy working for a large state university, and I write
Perl every day because my job requires a lot of database stuff, a lot
of data and file manipulation, and a fair amount of web programming.
Perl is optimized for all these things.

If you work in a GUI shop, Perl might well be dead. If you are a web
developer and use Adobe or .NET technology, Perl might well be dead.
Regardless, my suggestion is to acquire proficiency in several
languages and use whatever you need. From where I sit, I would
suggest:
Perl
Java
Javascript
PHP or ColdFusion
SQL
bash or PowerShell

You won't go wrong picking up other language skills, whether it be old
warhorses like Lisp or FORTRAN, or young upstarts like Erlang or
Clojure.

My $.02 worth, CC.

sln

(andecdote/not-data alert)

I use Perl almost every day, just not for web programming. At least not
directly. Most of my uses are for short utility programs that I write
quickly then then throw away, but without Perl some tasks would take me much
longer, sometime by several orders of magnitude. It's my pocketknife,
screwdriver, hammer, wrench set, and other assorted tools all in one. If I
were working in a Unix environment it might not be as necessary, but since
I'm confined to Windows, Perl is a lifesaver. (And I'm not looking for a
job to get away from Windows, because I have job security and a good salary.
With the economy the way it is, I'd be stupid to walk away from that just to
work with Unix.)

I need a job, help me. I can do advanced research, I have a BS in Mechanical-E
used only 5 years till Amiga 1000, still new, 25 years paid programming since,
old but still usable.

Will work for hay.
-sln
(Seabiscuit)

Nathan Keel

how well is perl doing as a language, how long is it going to be
around for? not trolling but i've started asking myself questions on
the benifits in the long run of using perl of unix administration,
just is it as popular as i originally thought it was???? because my
mate said it was dying

For *nix sys admin tasks, I can't think of a better language to use. I
don't know of a single good *nix sys admin that doesn't use Perl more
often than anything else (unless a simple command does what you want
already). Shell scripting can be a hassle and Perl makes it a lot more
powerful and precise and makes it often easier, depending on what
you're doing. What could possibly replace Perl for such a thing and be
better? Everyone has their language of choice, but who would make an
effort to write admin scripts in Python, Ruby or PHP just to say Perl
isn't as popular? Of course it is. Look on usenet, it's one of the
more busy groups when most others are dead or dying. Only the Ruby
group is maybe on par with the traffic the Perl group gets. Use
whatever you like, anything that offers a CLI interface (Perl, Ruby,
PHP, Python, etc.) is fine, use what you know and like best. Like I
said, I don't know of any good sys admin that either doesn't know Perl
(and the one's that don't wish they did). There's always some fool
that will claim it's dying, just ignore those people.

sln

[...]

I'm pretty sure unix or any other admins brains can hardly make thier legs work
let alone do Perl.

This as your intro to this topic gives you a big 5-thumbs down!

-sln

Nathan Keel

I'm pretty sure unix or any other admins brains can hardly make thier
legs work let alone do Perl.

This as your intro to this topic gives you a big 5-thumbs down!

-sln

I can't make sense of your reply. Anyway, I said any *good* admin. Any
good admin will be smart and they can figure plenty of things out. If
they aren't smart, they won't be a good admin or a good coder.
Apparently your idea of what an admin is or does is different than the
rest of the world.

Robert Billing

Nathan said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

I can't make sense of your reply. Anyway, I said any *good* admin. Any
good admin will be smart and they can figure plenty of things out. If
they aren't smart, they won't be a good admin or a good coder.
Apparently your idea of what an admin is or does is different than the
rest of the world.

I couldn't make any sense of his reply to my posting about UTF8 either.
I suspect the tinfoil in his bowler hat has become damp.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, author, inventor, traveller, cook and
animal lover. "It burned me from within. It quickened; I was with book

Quality e-books for portable readers: http://www.alex-library.com