kj

Is there some fixed URL that always points to the latest devel
release of perl?

Also, is there some *fixed* string (i.e. invariant irrespective of
the number of the latest perl version) that one could use as the
argument of the get/make/test/install cpan shell commands, and that
would download/build/test/install the latest devel release of perl?

TIA!

~K

kj

Do you mean devel release (that is, currently 5.11.4)? Are you aware
that these are not terribly stable, generally only slightly more so than
a git checkout?
Anyway, src/devel.tar.gz on any CPAN mirror.
I'm fairly sure installing perl using CPAN.pm is not recommended any
more. Apart from anything else, installing a dev release like this will
attempt to overwrite your system perl, which is a *very* bad idea.

Hi Ben. My ultimate goal here is to always have the latest devel
release of perl installed locally under my subdirectory ~/develperl.
I was hoping to set up a cron job to perform this installation at
night whenever a new release comes out. The stable URL you gave
is very helpful for this.

Thanks!

~K

kj

In said:
Then I would probably recommend building from git instead. Although p5p
has recently committed to monthly blead releases, they really aren't
much more than snapshots. You can checkout the source from git with
git clone git://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git perl
cd perl
and then do a build with
git clean -dfx
git pull
./Configure -des ...
make && make test && make install
The 'git clean' is not strictly necessary, but it's best to clean
everything out if you're going to update the source in case the
dependancies have changed in a way the Makefile doesn't understand.

This is extremely helpful. Thanks!

~K