    would download/build/test/install the latest devel release of perl?

    TIA!

    ~K

    kj, Jan 27, 2010

  2. kj

    kj Guest

    In <> Ben Morrow <> writes:

    >Quoth kj <>:
    >>
    >> Is there some fixed URL that always points to the latest devel
    >> release of perl?

    >Do you mean devel release (that is, currently 5.11.4)? Are you aware
    >that these are not terribly stable, generally only slightly more so than
    >a git checkout?

    >Anyway, src/devel.tar.gz on any CPAN mirror.

    >> Also, is there some *fixed* string (i.e. invariant irrespective of
    >> the number of the latest perl version) that one could use as the
    >> argument of the get/make/test/install cpan shell commands, and that
    >> would download/build/test/install the latest devel release of perl?

    >I'm fairly sure installing perl using CPAN.pm is not recommended any
    >more. Apart from anything else, installing a dev release like this will
    >attempt to overwrite your system perl, which is a *very* bad idea.

    Hi Ben. My ultimate goal here is to always have the latest devel
    release of perl installed locally under my subdirectory ~/develperl.
    I was hoping to set up a cron job to perform this installation at
    night whenever a new release comes out. The stable URL you gave
    is very helpful for this.

    Thanks!

    ~K

    kj, Jan 29, 2010

  3. kj

    kj Guest

    In <> Ben Morrow <> writes:

    >Quoth kj <>:

    >> Hi Ben. My ultimate goal here is to always have the latest devel
    >> release of perl installed locally under my subdirectory ~/develperl.
    >> I was hoping to set up a cron job to perform this installation at
    >> night whenever a new release comes out. The stable URL you gave
    >> is very helpful for this.

    >Then I would probably recommend building from git instead. Although p5p
    >has recently committed to monthly blead releases, they really aren't
    >much more than snapshots. You can checkout the source from git with

    > git clone git://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git perl
    > cd perl

    >and then do a build with

    > git clean -dfx
    > git pull
    > ./Configure -des ...
    > make && make test && make install

    >The 'git clean' is not strictly necessary, but it's best to clean
    >everything out if you're going to update the source in case the
    >dependancies have changed in a way the Makefile doesn't understand.

    This is extremely helpful. Thanks!

    ~K

    kj, Jan 29, 2010