Phantom padding in MSIE

Rik

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with a floated element:

I've got a list floated to the left, and a block element besides it with a
margin-left. Now, all other padding & margins set to zero, in MSIE the first
lines inside the block element seems to get a padding/margin from the
floated element of about 2px. In other browsers it will (offcourse) work OK.

Example:
http://www.rwasmus.nl/check.html

Any ideas why, and how fix this without resulting to hacks?

Grtz,

Jonathan N. Little

Rik said:
Yup, just found it after posting, isn't that always the case...

But damn, it seems a hack is required, after months of producing only
browser-independant, portable css...

Well, unless I want to position everything absolute (which is something I
try to avoid) I guess it's the only way.

My advice is to approach your design where the 3px will not matter and
not try to do back-flips and hacks to accommodate IE. Maybe in a faraway
time MS will get their sh*t together.